• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how long did it take for you to get sub 20 on 3x3?

how long approximately did it take for you to get sub 20 on 3x3?

• less than a year

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • 1 year

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 1.5 year

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 2 years

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • more than 2 years

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • others (type it out and post it)

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you mean globally, I'm still working on it. First learned to solve the cube in 1981, so that's 42 years so far? :) Or if you count from when I first learned CFOP, that would be 2007, so 15 years.

I have several sub-20 averages in WCA competitions, but globally I'd say I average around 22 right now. Perhaps for several months at a time in the past I was globally averaging in the high 19's, but never for very long.

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you start counting from when I learned to solve a cube, it took years because I wasn't actually serious about cubing. If you start from when I learned CFOP, maybe 2 months? Granted, I already knew a lot of OLL and PLL before because I had figured out many algs on my own (without even knowing OLL and PLL were even a thing), but the algs were horrible. A J perm for example: R U' R' U' y R U2 R' y' U R U' R' y U' R U' R'

WCA
2022LOHK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i am a lazy person so i did not learn full PLL at one go
i learned a few first, then got used to them, and then learnt more and get used to them too and so on and so on
i am sub 14 now but i dont even know full OLL lmao
so i gueass thats why i took a while to get sub 20

WCA
2022LOHK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you mean globally, I'm still working on it. First learned to solve the cube in 1981, so that's 42 years so far? :) Or if you count from when I first learned CFOP, that would be 2007, so 15 years.

I have several sub-20 averages in WCA competitions, but globally I'd say I average around 22 right now. Perhaps for several months at a time in the past I was globally averaging in the high 19's, but never for very long.
If you start counting from when I learned to solve a cube, it took years because I wasn't actually serious about cubing. If you start from when I learned CFOP, maybe 2 months? Granted, I already knew a lot of OLL and PLL before because I had figured out many algs on my own (without even knowing OLL and PLL were even a thing), but the algs were horrible. A J perm for example: R U' R' U' y R U2 R' y' U R U' R' y U' R U' R'
start counting from when you decided to get serious

Oh then I have a few sub 20 averages but I normally keep them for around 7 to 8 solves then it back to the 20s.

Kaedenthecuber if you use cfop when you got sub 20 did you know full oll and is that important to get sub 20?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
start counting from when you decided to get serious
I guess it depends on what you mean by serious. I've tried pretty seriously a bunch of times. And I've done probably well over 10,000 solves since becoming sub-30. But admittedly I haven't been as serious as many people, because I have been more interested in some (most) of the other WCA events, which distracts me. And of course there's the fact that I'm really old, which seems to make it harder to improve quickly.

WCA
2022LOHK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
people always think that in order to get faster you must learn the full advanced method
but i an sub 14 on 3x3 with full PLL and only 30 OLLs
i am sub 4 on 2x2 using LBL only
I am sub 1 min on 4x4 using redux 3x3 only
im sub 8 pyra using only LBL

and im sub 30 OH with RIGHT HAND

I use a mix of lbl and ortega on 2x2 but my cube locks up and it by gan.
I know abit of oll like 20 algs but I know full pll i just wanted to know if it was worth my time. But thanks