• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How good are DIY's?

MistArts

I've been using a store-bought Rubik's brand cube lubed with vaseline and average ~26 with it after 5 months of cubing so I've been wondering if I should get a DIY.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Telling us what you average right now doesn't say anything. A DIY won't work miracles on your time unless your current cube is really bad. But if your current cube really is bad, or you want a cube that you can adjust to your liking, a DIY is worth looking into.

Also, you should try a silicon based spray lubricant. Works wonders on cubes.

Arget

DIYs and store bought cubes can both produce good times. DIYs may give you a little faster of a time, but not by much. Also like shelley said, use silicone, it is much better and you don't have to clean the black gunk that builds up. I always think that it is more about the cuber rather then the cube, but that's just me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Hardware Area 3
S Hardware Area 4
I Hardware Area 3
oskarasbrink Hardware Area 13
Rubixcubematt Hardware Area 4