• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do you get faster at 2x2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarxrax

For the 3x3, people often talk about many concrete ways that you can practice to get faster. Go slow and lookahead. Memorize the cross and solve it blind. And so on.

But what can I do to get better on the 2x2?
I'm currently averaging about 10 seconds with ortega method.

Ryanrex116

WCA
2008JEWR01
For 2x2, all you have to do is learn to have fast recognition and high tps. I can get 5-6 seconds on average with the layer by layer method, but that took a lot of practice. Basically: Practice a lot.

Truncator

YouTube
Visit Channel
Be color neutral. Work out the FL case during inspection, as well as OLL case if possible. Get all of your PBLs sub-2 (easy). Learn 2x2 OLLs instead of using 3x3. Slow turn speed slightly if you're not sure what your OLL case will be.

Practice.

Zarxrax

I think my slowest point is probably PBL recognition, because I usually turn the cube all the way around looking at every side. Is it possible to tell which case you have from just 2 sides?

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think my slowest point is probably PBL recognition, because I usually turn the cube all the way around looking at every side. Is it possible to tell which case you have from just 2 sides?

You should be able to predict what case you will have on the bottom layer during inspection. That makes recognition much easier and faster.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to get faster my advice is to abandon Ortega and learn CLL. Practice and predicting cases will only help so much; once you are turning for the whole solve you will realize that you need fewer moves to really be fast, and that is where CLL comes in.

Zarxrax

If you want to get faster my advice is to abandon Ortega and learn CLL. Practice and predicting cases will only help so much; once you are turning for the whole solve you will realize that you need fewer moves to really be fast, and that is where CLL comes in.

Speaking of CLL, I had been thinking about learning Roux at some point in the future, but roux uses CMLL instead of CLL. If I learn CMLL, can I apply it to the 2x2 instead of CLL? And would it hurt the move count much?

MistArts

Speaking of CLL, I had been thinking about learning Roux at some point in the future, but roux uses CMLL instead of CLL. If I learn CMLL, can I apply it to the 2x2 instead of CLL? And would it hurt the move count much?

You should use CLL optimised for the 2x2.

D

Deleted member 2864

I'm surprised nobody's said the right answer yet...

be rowe hessler

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On a Rowe Hessler related note, maybe watch some of his explanation videos, particularly the first layer video he recently posted. Not only will it help you solve, but it was very close to inspiring me to learn CLL, and it did cause my brother to start doing it. Which, now that I think about, means I probably have to, too. Can't let him have two events in which he's better than me :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.