• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How did you get into cubing?

YouTube
Visit Channel
4 years ago I found a Rubik’s brand and learned how to solve it with a tutorial from Rubik’s. Than I got other cubes and it took off from there. I averaged around 40-45. I did a lot of non wca stuff and took frequent breaks from cubing. Summer 2018 I learned f2l + 4ll, later I learned PLL, than COLL, OLL, and 2 months ago I learned OELLCP. In February I went to my first competition and got a 22 second average with a 18 single. I currently average 13.5- 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Astral cubing

WCA
2017JOHN23
YouTube
Visit Channel
3 years ago I was at a friends house and he knew how to solve a Rubiks
cube he actually had a qiyi bullfight but I saw him twist corners and I as a noncuber was very puzzled and wanted to learn. A few weeks later I was at his house again and he had another friend over who also could solve. So his friend mixed up a 4x4 with like 5 moves and I couldn’t solve it (which hurt my pride which isn’t good I shouldn’t of had pride in the first place) so all of these events sparked an interest so about 3 months later and learned to solve from YouTube and Rubiks . So all of this happened in 2016 but by 2017 i got my first speedcube a GAN 356 UM and went to a comp. so 2 years and 6 comps later here I am. I average from 10 - 13 seconds.

Last edited:

BMcD308

I had a cube back in the very early 1980s, and I eventually bought the "Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube" book to learn to solve it. My memory is that the method presented in that book was not simple at all, but keep in mind I was a kid. I did not pick up a cube from sometime in the 1982 to 1984 time frame until late 2018, when my 6 year old son saw another kid with one at school and asked for one for Christmas. I thought it was a dumb present, but parents want their kids to be happy, so I bought a Rubik's brand, thinking I was paying more for a higher quality item.

At first my son just played around with it, but there was an older kid at school who could solve it, and my son wanted to learn. I could not remember the last layer algs from my youth (and maybe I'm just falsely maligning a book due to bad memory, but my recollection is that some of them were 30+ moves long), so I could not solve it either (I could solve two layers upside down from the way pretty much everyone reading this does it). My son watched the Cubicle's online videos and learned to solve it (upside down from the way I thought was correct), then almost immediately substituted the beginner last layer technique from the J Perm videos. He got hooked, and being his dad, I got hooked, too. Less than 8 months after he got that 3x3 for Christmas, we can both solve 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, Pyraminx, Skewb, and Megaminx. Master Pyraminx and Square-1 are next on our list. He has been to one competition, and we hope to go to more.

It still takes me about 2 minutes to solve 3x3, primarily due to bad eyesight, but he can solve it in just under one minute using LBL.

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a Rubik's brand cube for my birthday in January 2018, and I learned how to solve it with a lot of youtube videos, but mostly using the Cubicle's tutorial. I then bought a Qiyi warrior which seemed crazy good to me after only using the Rubiks brand for a month. I then got a 2-5 pack and worked on those for a few months. I then expanded to Skewb, Pyra, Mega, and Sq-1. About 6 months after starting cubing I went to Colorado Qualifier 2018 and competed in Skewb, Pyra, 3x3, and 2x2. I got a 39ish 3x3 average. I then started teaching others how to solve it, and I learned CFOP, which both helped my times a lot. I then went to any competition that I could find nearby (which wasn't much). I soon started getting good pyraminx averages, and that is still the only event that I can consistently make finals in. I also had a friend who had just quit cubing, so he basically gave/sold me his collection for a good price. I now average about 21 seconds on 3x3, and own over 100 cubes.

BMcD308

I googled around and found the method in the book I mentioned above, which was written by James G. Nourse. I did falsely malign his last layer method. It is actually quite similar to other beginner methods, just performed upside down. While I remember the last layer being super difficult to memorize, that was only because (like in all other beginner methods) I had been using very similar algs for two layers, and then I had to learn a couple of new ones.

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a Rubik's 3x3 for a Fourth of July Gift in 2014 because I wanted to get one and my friend was a cuber. After a lot of practice, I was able to do the white cross and then eventually the whole cube within three weeks or so. I went to my first competition in January 2015 and just competed in 2x2. I was very slow (Around 18 seconds), but it was fun. Today, I've now been to 7 competitions and have been on and off with practice. However, I cube more than I used to now and average 4 seconds on 2x2, and about sub 15 on 3x3. I also can do I variety of events and am in the process of learning 4x4 blindfolded.

Apolo

A friend a few months ago shown me that he could resolve a cube in under 30 seconds. I was impressed and I had seen some WR on yt.
I was searching for a competitive hobby.
So I started to be interested and then my friend told me that he was going to buy himself a cube (Dayan whatever, not good) and he was ok to buy me one too.
We got our cubes 2 weeks later:
I ****ing try harded to get better than my friend :') (just as a goal). Learned how to solve it in one day, got sub 1 2 days laters...
And here I am, almost 6 months into cubing, soon sub 15 ao100 :p I did one camp where I got a 18 single and a 22 average and my next comp is in 2 months.

Zerksies

About a decade ago I felt that I could solve a cube. It was something that I’ve always wanted to do since the thing came out in the 80’s but never really tried to do. So I took me about 3 days to solve it the first time.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned to solve the cube in late 2017 but I was not very into it, especially because the cube I learned on was technically not mine. But in March 2018, I decided to pick it back up. I bought an Aolong V2 from Amazon and learned how to do F2L. By August 2018, I could solve the cube in under 30 seconds! Then I got another 3x3 and pretty soon I was sub 20. In October I got a pyraminx and then for Christmas I got a bunch of new cubes like 2x2, 4x4, Skewb, and Megaminx. Now I do 2-5, Pyraminx (My best event), Megaminx, Square-1, and 3BLD, and I am going to AZCubing
Summer 2019 (My first cubing comp) in a few weeks!

Iwannaganx

i, like everyone had a rubik's brand laying around at home and when i went to high school one of the kids there knew how to solve it and amazed the class. i went home and learned how to solve it and then to this day i have loved cubing.

GAN 356 X

I learned to solve a 3x3 when is was in grade 1 using LBL, and averaged around 2 minutes. since then, I have forgotten and relearnt many times, but only recently have I gotten into speed cubing. one of my mates brought a cube to school and I offered to solve it. I got myself a Moyu weilong gts2m,, and dropped my times to around 30 seconds, after learning F2l and 2 look all and pll. I have since bought a Gan 356 X, Yj mgc 2x2, x-man megaminx, an x-man wingy skewb, mofang jiaoshi kibiminx, some random Pyraminx, and now average around 26 seconds with partial CFOP

Last edited:

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
someone gave me a Rubik's cube for Christmas 3 years ago and offered me 10 dollars if i solved it, i accepted and learned to solve it, my brother also had the same deal and we enjoyed racing each other over and over again. the fact that there was always a competion made them very enjoyable. soon after, he decide to learn cfop and i couldn't possibly let him get faster than me so we both spent many hours a day learning it. from there we kept practicing and got into other events like 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, skewb, OH, and megaminx. Micah (my brother) currently averages sub 8, and i average 10.2... i still dont know how he got that fast :(