• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Homeschool Cubers Thread

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
How much do you practice a day? How about the week before a comp?
On average I try and practice for about 1-2 hours a day, although there are exceptions either way and what I mean is, there are some days that I only have the time to do (lets say a Ao12 on 4x4, which takes about 20 minutes with scrambling, and inspection included), and then there are other days where I have the time to practice for about 3-4 hours, although that is not very common due to the fact that I have other obligations that I need to address first.

And for a week or two before a comp, there is not much different that I due verses normal weeks, but what I do different is practice and make sure that the algs that I have been having trouble with for each event is drilled so that I do not forget it on the day of the comp. Although there are many time that I have forgotten an alg at a comp, but that has more to do with me being nerves at the comp then me not knowing the alg by heart. I also do not practice on the day of the competition because there is nothing that is gained from doing that, and it tiers me out faster then if I did not practice through out the day. The only thing that I do at the competition is warm up by doing a few solves on a cube/s and that helps with keeping my hands warmed up.

Duncan Bannon

On average I try and practice for about 1-2 hours a day, although there are exceptions either way and what I mean is, there are some days that I only have the time to do (lets say a Ao12 on 4x4, which takes about 20 minutes with scrambling, and inspection included), and then there are other days where I have the time to practice for about 3-4 hours, although that is not very common due to the fact that I have other obligations that I need to address first.

And for a week or two before a comp, there is not much different that I due verses normal weeks, but what I do different is practice and make sure that the algs that I have been having trouble with for each event is drilled so that I do not forget it on the day of the comp. Although there are many time that I have forgotten an alg at a comp, but that has more to do with me being nerves at the comp then me not knowing the alg by heart. I also do not practice on the day of the competition because there is nothing that is gained from doing that, and it tiers me out faster then if I did not practice through out the day. The only thing that I do at the competition is warm up by doing a few solves on a cube/s and that helps with keeping my hands warmed up.

Interesting, thanks for the lengthy post. I will defiantly keep in mind the bolder words. Thanks!

YouTube
Visit Channel
With us being Homeschooled I would assume we all have more free time than the normal person but can you give me an estimate of the time a day? If I practice too much my wrist start hurting. Do you guys have similar problems?
My wrist will hurt too sometimes. I practice almost all day (but sometimes just a few hours), whether that is drilling algs or doing full solves.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Forgot about this site again, sup y'all. Three months from graduation, woot woot!
Glad to hear that you have been revived and were able to made it back the land of the cubers/homeschool cubers.:D In all seriousness though I am glad to see that you are back and hopefully back in to cubing as well.

Duncan Bannon

Hey I just got out of my first comp. I had a fantastic time! At this time I only have results from the comp and not like in the world/state/nation.

2x2 Round 1- 12th out of 75 with a 5.00 Ao5
(Top 16) 2x2 Finals- 5th!!! With a 4.05

3x3 Round 1- 28th out of 78 with a 21.83 Ao5
(Top 36) 3x3 Round 2- 31st with 22.66

4x4 Combined Final- 23 out of 32 (Didn’t get cutoff, but got a overall PB 1:32.20

Pyra Combined Final- 14th out of 57 with a 9.91 Ao5.

Got some nice singles too 5.67 on Pyra, 17.xx on 3x3, and 3.171 on 2x2.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey I just got out of my first comp. I had a fantastic time! At this time I only have results from the comp and not like in the world/state/nation.

2x2 Round 1- 12th out of 75 with a 5.00 Ao5
(Top 16) 2x2 Finals- 5th!!! With a 4.05

3x3 Round 1- 28th out of 78 with a 21.83 Ao5
(Top 36) 3x3 Round 2- 31st with 22.66

4x4 Combined Final- 23 out of 32 (Didn’t get cutoff, but got a overall PB 1:32.20

Pyra Combined Final- 14th out of 57 with a 9.91 Ao5.

Got some nice singles too 5.67 on Pyra, 17.xx on 3x3, and 3.171 on 2x2.
Congratulations @Duncan Bannon on doing really well at your first competition. Getting 5th in 2x2 was really impressive and much better then I have ever done in 2x2. With a little more practice, you will be on the podium at your next comp, (hopefully right?) You also get great in the other events as well, so good job on that.

Duncan Bannon

Thanks! I hope podiuming in 2x2 will be a possibility. I was only 0.46 from taking 1st. If only my last solve wasn’t a 4.9. But I still did well and enjoyed myself.

Duncan Bannon

This thread dies quick :0

I've been watching a lot of BC recently.

cubeshepherd and I are learning EG-1 for 2x2 right now. We are 7 and 6 algs in respectfully. How has everyone been? School has been tough, but I just finished math for the whole year, but like most homeschoolers moms I'm going to have to watch Khan Academy :(

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I've been watching a lot of BC recently.
Is BC the show that you have been talking about, that is Homeschool related? or not.

Also, does anyone watch either Dude Perfect or Studio C. I really like DP because of the trick shots and funny videos, and Studio C is just a really clean and funny sketch comedy group out of BYU, O and DP is based in Texas.

If you do end up watching DP, there Stereotypes video are really good, but you cannot go wrong with any of them.

And if you watch Studio C, there earlier stuff (meaning first few seasons) are the best in my mind, although some of there newer videos are pretty good as well (with a few of them not being that funny, and to be honest a bit strange at times).

Is BC the show that you have been talking about, that is Homeschool related? or not.

Also, does anyone watch either Dude Perfect or Studio C. I really like DP because of the trick shots and funny videos, and Studio C is just a really clean and funny sketch comedy group out of BYU, O and DP is based in Texas.

If you do end up watching DP, there Stereotypes video are really good, but you cannot go wrong with any of them.

And if you watch Studio C, there earlier stuff (meaning first few seasons) are the best in my mind, although some of there newer videos are pretty good as well (with a few of them not being that funny, and to be honest a bit strange at times).
I love DP, stereotypes are GREAT!! The other stuff is pretty good to. Thoughts on crossbow trickshots? Not as good a boomerang shots IMO.
School has been tough, but I just finished math for the whole year, but like most homeschoolers moms I'm going to have to watch Khan Academy :(
lol thats my math curriculum for the whole year.