• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Home-schooling cubers?

Are you a home-schooler?

• I used to be a home-schooler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been here for a while and I've noticed that several cubers here are home-schooled. I've known several home-schoolers but they don't cube at all. So how many people here are actually home-schooled?

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do people learn being home-schooled? I know you have your textbook, but I always seem to learn better listening to a lecture and asking the instructor questions.

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do people learn being home-schooled? I know you have your textbook, but I always seem to learn better listening to a lecture and asking the instructor questions.

There's different ways for different people, but the way that my homeschool was set up was mostly online stuff. There were teachers for each class, and once a week or so, we would attend a live conference call with the other people in that class/subject thing. For homework, there was online assigned stuff that we got graded on, and we would also submit written tests for the teachers to grade.

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's different ways for different people, but the way that my homeschool was set up was mostly online stuff. There were teachers for each class, and once a week or so, we would attend a live conference call with the other people in that class/subject thing. For homework, there was online assigned stuff that we got graded on, and we would also submit written tests for the teachers to grade.

Oh okay, so its pretty much all online then. That changes my perspective. I always thought home-schooling was sitting at your kitchen table reading a textbook for 7 hours a day while your mom tried her best to help you learn trigonometry.

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh okay, so its pretty much all online then. That changes my perspective. I always thought home-schooling was sitting at your kitchen table reading a textbook for 7 hours a day while your mom tried her best to help you learn trigonometry.

Well, for me it was online haha. And no, I would die if I had to do that. My dad still helps me in physics, chemistry, and other sciences, though it's not for high school.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yeah, like uniacto said, it's different for different people. We have our textbooks and lesson assignments and stuff to work through and stuff for language arts. For math, my mom got a math minor in college, so if my sister or I have questions we usually can ask her. I usually help out my sister (2yrs older) with trig since even though I haven't completely finished the course I still know what I'm doing and stuff. We also sometimes order dvds and discs with video lectures for some classes. It's really just a big mix of everything. I don't know if that answers your question or not, you might need to be a bit more specific :p

Oh, and I'm also taking a few computer/online courses. My spanish course is a computer program, and one of my current math classes (currently doing trig, number theory, and counting&probability) is online with lectures and classroom "chatboards" and such.