• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

History of Speedcubes

kprox1994

WCA
2017PAAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello all,

I have been away from the cubing world for a while now, and was really active between 2009-2012. During that time I remember seeing the speedcubes change quite a bit, going from Types A-F to the takeover of Dayan cubes. I have been wondering how many cubers today really know about the cubes that were available prior, or if they just go straight to a Weilong or Zhanchi without thinking about it. I remember spending hours watching cube comparison and review videos until I settled on a Ghosthand and a Type C.

anyway, I am interested in doing a docu-series about the history of speedcubing starting with the 3x3, but there is not much info out there that is easy to find about the companies themselves, there is a little info about the Alpha cubes on the wiki but not too much else. I would like to construct a timeline of cube releases as well to be able to show just how much the quality of cubes has improved, but I will need some help (mostly from older cubers).

Questions I have

When did Rubik's first start selling DIY Speedcubes?
When was the old Type A released and other prominent cubes?
What cubes do you think are prominent in the History of Speedcubing?
Where did the letter naming scheme come from?
Are the company that made the Type C and Wit-Eden related? I have sometimes heard their cubes called type C's.
What about YJ and Moyu? I have sometimes seen cubes labled as YJ Moyu, so is the company that made the Type D's (which I heard weren't very good) the same company that has made the wonderful cubes such as the Weilong?
Is there anything else you think I should include?

Also, I will need video footage of cubes for the documentary, showcasing their abilities. I don't want to use someone's footage without their permisson, nor do I want to spend the money on going and buying such old cubes, so anyone has footage of them using these cubes or could shoot some if they still own the cube to put in my video that would be great.

Cubes I think are prominent
Rubiks DIY
A I
C I
D I
F I
Cube4you
F II
A V
Guhong
Zhanchi
Weilong

Finally, I want this series to be very high-quality which is why I am doing so much research, I will try to update this post regularly with more information.

Thanks all!

Jont828

Well, for YJ/Moyu, they're separate companies and Moyu uses YJ's factories to make cubes. YJ also manufactures/designs their own cubes as well. That would explain why Moyu cubes are sometimes called YJ Moyu (like the WeiLong) and why YJ cubes aren't called YJ Moyu (like the YuLong). I heard this a while back, and I could be mistaken, but I hope this helps!

Also, I think that the YJ YuLong could be included since some YouTubers like Paradox Cubing have said that they really liked it, but it's not as good as the WeiLong. Depending on how things go, the AoLong might also be a very prominent cube.

From what I've heard, the A I (or the first Alpha cube, I don't know much about those) and the GuHong were the most important speedcubes. I could be wrong, but the Alpha Cubes took the first step from Rubik's Brands to sppedcubing, and the GuHong ventured into more complex designs and shapes instead of basically changes and modifications in the Rubik's Brand.

I'd also be willing to submit footage, but I'm not that fast and all I have is a storebought, a Zhanchi, and a WeiLong. Good luck with your documentary!

Last edited:

kprox1994

WCA
2017PAAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the info and input Jon, that is very interesting to hear. I also agree with the original type A and GuHong being the biggest gamechangers. And Dr. Pepper that's what I was reasoning as well.

PJK sorry but that really has nothing to do with the history of speedcubing, I know how the cubes turn. I'm interested in the evolution of the industry.

DoctorPepper

I think if you talk about game changers, Shengshou has to be up there for changing the game for big cubes.

TankRed

WCA
2014ABRA02
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that typeC and WitEden are related: in fact, at present typeC is a series by WitEden, and they produced the 3x3s C III, C IV WitLong, C V WitYou, C V WitYou v2, the mini4x4 and the WitFour 4x4, and the 2x2s WitTwo and WitTwo v2. I don't know much about the C I and the C II. On the wiki it says that they were produced by GuoBing... I don't know: maybe GuoBing and WitEden are the same thing or maybe Witeden bought the typeC series...?

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
The Japanese Speedcubing Kit might be interesting in a historical perspective. It tried to appeal to users with an adjustable core and a fancy box and included screwdrivers. It was overpriced and mediocre though.

CubeMugger

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should really Include the Fangshi Shuang Ren Series,they are really great cubes and alot of cubers say it surpasses the Zhanchi,which was one the top cube in its day.

QQW

WCA
2014WANG26
There is the v-cube and Guhong who changed the corners into an elongated design(but the Guhong added the creases) and there is the moyu Huanying that went back to short corners and edges(I have one), like a Type A-F.

Also the Dayan addition of torpedoes

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone else remember the huge A V vs F II debate?

ShengShou unleashed a wide variety of puzzles (now a skewb I hear?), but their 3x3s never gained a ton of traction. That is, up until the ShengShou Aurora.
Maru tried making a comeback with the CX-3, modeled after a design by speedcuber/popular YouTube cuber cyoubx.
There's also the dawn of stickerless cubes and the controversial decisions by the WCA about their ban from competition.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone else remember the huge A V vs F II debate?

ShengShou unleashed a wide variety of puzzles (now a skewb I hear?), but their 3x3s never gained a ton of traction. That is, up until the ShengShou Aurora.
Maru tried making a comeback with the CX-3, modeled after a design by speedcuber/popular YouTube cuber cyoubx.
There's also the dawn of stickerless cubes and the controversial decisions by the WCA about their ban from competition.

wat
SS has a skewb now?

TankRed

WCA
2014ABRA02
Dayan GuHong: first cube with scooped corners
Dayan LunHui: first cube with torpedoes
WitEden typeC IV WitLong: first cube with dome interlocking system and first cube with hollow corners
Gan's Puzzle III: first cube with octopus core