• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hihi!

Grippa

Hello! I've been cubing for 7 years now, and I finally made a speedsolving.com account recently. My main event is OH and I average 15-16. Looking forward to being more active in the community now :D

P.S. Can anyone give me tips on how to maintain cubes? I feel like the lifespan of my cubes is pretty short so I think I'm doing something wrong in the way of maintenance. If anyone has tips/experience regarding this, I'd love to hear it! Cheers :)

Grippa

Welcome! Wow, maintaining interest for 7 years is amazing. My tip foe extending cube lifespan would be cleaning it out regularly (1~3 months) and lubing the centers. Center lubing is essential if you don't want the screws getting grinded.
Ah I see! Are grinded screws the main cause of a cube becoming slower after a time?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! I've been cubing for 7 years now, and I finally made a speedsolving.com account recently. My main event is OH and I average 15-16. Looking forward to being more active in the community now :D

P.S. Can anyone give me tips on how to maintain cubes? I feel like the lifespan of my cubes is pretty short so I think I'm doing something wrong in the way of maintenance. If anyone has tips/experience regarding this, I'd love to hear it! Cheers :)
Welcome :)
What are the cubes? Lubing them and not turning them too hard should help

voidrx

Welcome! What method do you use?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Hello there and welcome to the forums!

Grippa

Welcome :)
What are the cubes? Lubing them and not turning them too hard should help
I've had a bunch of different ones over the years - a Zanchi, the original Weilong GTS, a YueXiao, a GTS3M, and now an RS3M 2020. What would you consider turning too hard?

voidrx

I use CFOP. Nothing to see here :p
You should use Nautilus for 3x3.
Here is the Nautilus website link: https://sites.google.com/view/nautilus-method
This method is very good and has the potential to be world-class. I am the fastest user right now and I currently average 12 seconds, and I hold the Nautilus Unofficial World Record Single of 6.16 seconds.
PS. There is a Nautilus Discord Server link on the main page of the website if you have any questions.

Grippa

Here is the Nautilus website link: https://sites.google.com/view/nautilus-method
This method is very good and has the potential to be world-class. I am the fastest user right now and I currently average 12 seconds, and I hold the Nautilus Unofficial World Record Single of 6.16 seconds.
PS. There is a Nautilus Discord Server link on the main page of the website if you have any questions.
Hmm I've heard of Nautilus, Mehta, and YruRU. I think they're pretty interesting and might try to learn them after college apps. Do you have anything to say about Nautilus that makes it better than Mehta for 3x3 and YruRU for OH? I'd like to hear your Nautilus pitch :p

CubeRed

OK, now your just becoming a bot. Your basically spamming the forums with your advertising posts. Getting people to know your method is good but this is too much.

voidrx

Hmm I've heard of Nautilus, Mehta, and YruRU. I think they're pretty interesting and might try to learn them after college apps. Do you have anything to say about Nautilus that makes it better than Mehta for 3x3 and YruRU for OH? I'd like to hear your Nautilus pitch :p
I will be going over Nautilus-L5E for this.
1. Solve a roux FB. This avgs around 6-7 moves if you are x2y CN and 5-6 moves I'd you are full CN. Since most people that use roux or nautilus are x2y CN, I will be using x2y CN stats.
2. NSB. Solve the 2x2x2 in dbr. This avgs around 10-12 moves at the advanced level.
3. dFR pair. Solve the dFR pair in dFR. This avgs around 7 moves.
4. Solve the U corners. The algorithms for this step avg around 10 moves.
5. Solve the Last 5 Edges in one algorithm. This step avgs around 11 moves.

That comes out with a total of 45 moves.
Not only does Nautilus have a low movecount, it also has ergonomics that are proven to be good. Nautilus and Roux have the same ergonomics and Roux has proven over and over again that RrUM is a very good moveset
There is a variant of this that might be better where you incorporate conjugated NCLL while solving the FR edge, this combines solving the dFR pair and the U corners. This can bring the movecount down even further.

Last edited:

Grippa

It sounds a lot like Roux. What's the reasoning behind solving the 2x2x2 block and then a pair instead of second block? Is L5E that much more preferable to L6E?

voidrx

It sounds a lot like Roux. What's the reasoning behind solving the 2x2x2 block and then a pair instead of second block? Is L5E that much more preferable to L6E?
The 2x2x2 in the back makes lookahead way better because the DB edge is solved early in the solve. In roux, the DB edges is major blindspot. In nautilus, that is fixed. Plus L5E is faster than L6E, although with the sacrifice of learning 245 algorithms, which at the advanced level, is avg compared to other advanced methods like Mehta-TDR and what top tier CFOPers learn.

Also, there are other variants in Nautilus that are very fast as well and you can check them out on the nautilus website that I linked earlier.

Grippa

The 2x2x2 in the back makes lookahead way better because the DB edge is solved early in the solve. In roux, the DB edges is major blindspot. In nautilus, that is fixed. Plus L5E is faster than L6E, although with the sacrifice of learning 245 algorithms, which at the advanced level, is avg compared to other advanced methods like Mehta-TDR and what top tier CFOPers learn.

Also, there are other variants in Nautilus that are very fast as well and you can check them out on the nautilus website that I linked earlier.
I see

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had a bunch of different ones over the years - a Zanchi, the original Weilong GTS, a YueXiao, a GTS3M, and now an RS3M 2020. What would you consider turning too hard?
RS3M 2020 is known to wear out fast, and I don’t know about the others, but the GTS3 should be solid (I’d call turning too hard the point where you lock up a lot and need to do lots of big cornercuts, or just forcing turns)
Lubing should enhance the cubes anyway