• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hi , Belgian noob BenVdd reporting for duty!

BenVdd

Hi guys,
Last saturday I randomly wound up on BadMephisto's beginner rubik's cube guide and have been practicing ever since (and lurking these boards aswell).

At first i had to practice on my laptop because I didn't actually have a rubik's cube anymore,
so I knew the beginner algorithms by heart by the time I bought my cube yesterday.

I also learned F2L today , I can solve it with no real problem, but I am very inefficient and 'finding' pairs takes me a while,
never sure what the best way to get the cubicles in the top layer is.

I did my first timed run just now (used the cubetimer scramble sequence) and it wound up to be 2:44.16 and to be honest,
I am quite happy with that time! I was expecting it around to be the 5 minute mark.

Needless to say i have no fingertricks up my sleeve yet.

Also ordered a stickerless GuHong because after only 2 days i seem to scratch the stickers alot. I'll probably buy a stickered ZhanChi in a month or so.

P.S. My cross efficiency sucks aswell ^^

TL;DR
Hi , I'm new and I am quite the noobie!

Last edited:

bran

WCA
2013IBRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello and welcome to the forums. In addition to what uniacto said during F2l you should try and ignore the pieces which have the opposite color of your cross color (like yellow if you are using white as your cross color) this helps a lot in finding pieces.

BenVdd

Yeah i try to do the best i can with those. But my main problem is the needed pieces not being in the toplayer. I never seem to know how to take care of this (so i end up just putting them on the top layer one at a time and go from there)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(so i end up just putting them on the top layer one at a time and go from there)

Hi Ben, good to see you here as well. Don't worry about getting the pieces in the U layer at first. I still do that and I am quite contempt with the F2L speed that I have. Once they are in the U layer you have three basic cases, Learn those and you will be faster soon.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
YAY for new Belgian cubers!

I assume you bought a Rubiks brand cube. Their stickers are not very good, so they will peel of quite fast. And the cube itself is not very good either :p
The Guhong will be much better :)

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Welcome,

see you at the Hasselt competition in November :)
http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=HasseltOpen2012

Some short tips:
Check out all of Badmephisto
Don't worry about times for now, do not time all your solves as it can only frustrate you.
(Maybe time an an av12 every couple of days to track your progress)
Don't try to rush during F2L; it is better to turn slow and work on minimising pauzes
Note that the stickerless cubes are not allowed in WCA competitions

BenVdd

The reason i timed my solves was because I was curious. TBH I was expecting around 5 minute solves, so I was rather pleased.

I know the stickerless isn't allowed , I did some research beforehand ^^. The next cube I am going to buy will be stickered :)

brunovervoort

WCA
2011VERV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Ben!
Welcome to the forums!
Do you maybe live near Geel? :p
Some tips: Learn F2L completely, get at least a DIY, maybe even a Zhanchi or so, them learn PLL, and learn OLL at last.
Give other methods like Roux a try.
Good luck Ben! :)

BenVdd

I live in Bornem , the town of "De Dodentocht" :) If you have no clue as to where that is:
If you draw a line between Mechelen and Sint-Niklaas and another line between Antwerp and Brussel you will find my location on where those 2 lines intersect ^^

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah i try to do the best i can with those. But my main problem is the needed pieces not being in the toplayer. I never seem to know how to take care of this (so i end up just putting them on the top layer one at a time and go from there)
If the one of the pieces of a pair you're trying to solve is in the wrong slot, then do another pair first. You don't have to do the pairs in a specific order. Only tackle wrong slot pairs if there are no pairs left in the top layer. With a bit of practice you can take out the piece in the wrong slot so that you can go straight into a quick insert.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
If you are free 16th September, you should come to Eindhoven Open. It's not very far from Bornem. (I live in Sint-niklaas btw :) ) Not just for competing; competitions are mainly about meeting other cubers, learn new stuff and try some new puzzles :)
Here is a list of competitions in Europe.

BenVdd

new PB 01:42.47 .. average is still 2:12.16 tho... (haven't done too many timed solves today, felt like practicing my F2L )

larsvdb

Hi i'm from Belgium to :)

your goal is to get 1:50 :p but i think you will break the 1:30 mark in a few week/days :p. When you start cubing you make really fast progres but after a year or somthing ( when you are at the 30 second mark ) you will see that your progres will slow down ( a lot ). So welcom at the forum and have fun :)

BenVdd

Question for ppl from Belgium, in what store should/can I buy decent lube? (i'd use my durex play , but I don't want a cherry odor of sex surrounding my cube)