• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi all, newbie alert

TheSlykrCubr

This Hellhole We Know As The British Isles
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Daz.
Short answer, more than a minute, but less than two.
Full answer, I'm not actually timing accurately, I wanted to get mostly out of beginner method and into enough of cfop before timing as for me I'm enjoying the satisfaction of learning new parts of cfop and knowing I'm improving my solves without it being about time for now.
I took the plunge with "cross on bottom" and am pleased I did, it is much easier and more satisfying, my f2l was becoming good, I had to rotate less and was looking ahead a bit when I knew I had a pair solved and could bang them into place with muscle memory.
I have sorted my issues with last layer and learned enough algs to put together a reasonable 4lll.
All told I was going great, then.... Colour neutral.
I had read enough advice guides which almost all suggested the sooner colour neutral is learned, the better, as it gets harder, so this week I took the plunge and my solves became sluggish, but tbh not nearly as bad as I thought.
I'm going to stick with it, as I believe the long term benefits to my solve will be worth it.
How do you currently time yourself? Stopwatch? Actual stackmat? Laptop?
I don't have any of these tbh, even my phone (temp old one) doesn't have a stopwatch and it wont run scripts for online stopwatches, I might get a cheap stopwatch.

I don't believe being colour neutral at 1-2 mins is necessary. I would say at around 15 sec average maybe be White-Yellow colour neutral, but hey, Phillipp weyer and ciaran beahan only start on one colour, so yea.

SatansJester

I don't believe being colour neutral at 1-2 mins is necessary. I would say at around 15 sec average maybe be White-Yellow colour neutral, but hey, Phillipp weyer and ciaran beahan only start on one colour, so yea.

I appreciate the input, all advice on going colour neutral appears to be that it gets harder to learn the later you learn it, so leaving it til 15seconds seems to fly counter to that advice.
The main difficulty for beginners is sorting out their path through conflicting advice, and since the top speed solvers can't even agree on best cube/method/CN etc, I fully avoid getting into the bun fight that is "who does what" at the top flight of speedcubing as its far more likely to bog me down in confusion and frustration than it is to lead me to a great solve average, that said I accept your point that not all good cubers need CN.

BigDazUK

How do you currently time yourself? Stopwatch? Actual stackmat? Laptop?
I don't have any of these tbh, even my phone (temp old one) doesn't have a stopwatch and it wont run scripts for online stopwatches, I might get a cheap stopwatch.

I have an app on my phone called Cube Timer, tap the screen to start and finish, it give me the averages etc.

Because I like techy stuff, I've ordered a smart cube, it'll be interesting to see how long each part of the cfop is taking and compare that over time.

BigDazUK

The problem with Jperm's algs is that they're generally lefty. Make sure you're using good algs - I would recommend these: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MCqEZMCHj4iCTGo0Ku_9UQtp6bErJOlmWsPI_qqbE34/edit

Thanks for this, I have a question. Just looking though the differences, if we take the last layer, flip all edges case.
Do you think this: F R U R' U' S R U R' U' f'
is faster than this: F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f'

I currently find the S move really hard but F' f is quicker for me.

Most of the options in the sheet are available on the jperm site,, I guess I need to try all the variations and see which is faster for me.

SatansJester

I have an app on my phone called Cube Timer, tap the screen to start and finish, it give me the averages etc.

Because I like techy stuff, I've ordered a smart cube, it'll be interesting to see how long each part of the cfop is taking and compare that over time.
The smart cube sounds cool, I might try one at some point.
I need to sort out a new phone and download that app, my last phone died and I'm using an old Nokia Lumia that refuses to download anything, but phones are expensive now and most of the abilities of new phones I just wont use so its tough to find a phone that can browse quickly and run a few apps without paying out for 6 trillion megapixel cameras on front and back and a massive 4K screen.

BigDazUK

The smart cube sounds cool, I might try one at some point.
I need to sort out a new phone and download that app, my last phone died and I'm using an old Nokia Lumia that refuses to download anything, but phones are expensive now and most of the abilities of new phones I just wont use so its tough to find a phone that can browse quickly and run a few apps without paying out for 6 trillion megapixel cameras on front and back and a massive 4K screen.

I love my 6 trillion megapixel camera :D

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for this, I have a question. Just looking though the differences, if we take the last layer, flip all edges case.
Do you think this: F R U R' U' S R U R' U' f'
is faster than this: F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f'

I currently find the S move really hard but F' f is quicker for me.

Most of the options in the sheet are available on the jperm site,, I guess I need to try all the variations and see which is faster for me.
It doesn't matter too much at your speed, although if you use CFOP and learn full OLL, you'd wanna use the S one.

Skewb_Cube

oh i thought in a video he said hes lefty

No, I think you're talking about a Q&A video were it says if he's lefty, but that was just the thumbnail of him writing with his right hand, but from another perspective it looked like his "left" hand. But, let's not get off topic about if J Perm is lefty or not.

TheSlykrCubr

This Hellhole We Know As The British Isles
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, I think you're talking about a Q&A video were it says if he's lefty, but that was just the thumbnail of him writing with his right hand, but from another perspective it looked like his "left" hand. But, let's not get off topic about if J Perm is lefty or not.
basically, he's righty but he just got better with lefty algs

Kaneki Uchiha

if you switch to cn now it will help you a lot as later if you want to switch it will take lots of time. becoming cn is also very easy at your level

SpeedyCube

Tried it, don’t like it. I use the Rubik’s Cube app. (The one by the actual Rubik’s brand.) Has built in scramblers for 2x2 though 5x5, records your times, sorts them by recent, averages, or best, and gives you an inspection countdown, which you can change. Haven’t found anything better yet, in terms of an app.

I'm A Cuber

Tried it, don’t like it. I use the Rubik’s Cube app. (The one by the actual Rubik’s brand.) Has built in scramblers for 2x2 though 5x5, records your times, sorts them by recent, averages, or best, and gives you an inspection countdown, which you can change. Haven’t found anything better yet, in terms of an app.
Once you get other puzzles like big cubes or pyraminx, then those other apps will be much more useful

BigDazUK

I'm averaging 1:18 today with 1:07 best. I've been trying to solve the F2L without rotating and getting used to doing those from all angles without thinking about them is really helping my times.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Happy Cubing!

I have been in the speedcubing community for a while. I use both CFOP and Roux and I am method neutral solver. My main event is MBLD.