• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hey everyone! My name is Xin I'm from Singapore.

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone! My name is Xin from Singapore and I'm 13. I'm averaging around 20 seconds using the Fridrich Method with cross on side, F2L, 2-look OLL and almost all the PLLs (I left out the N Perms because I was lazy). I've been cubing for a year and I'm currently using an unlubricated cube that I bought from the mart ( For some reason I am scared to disassemble the cube entirely for lubrication, although I have already done so with my Rubiks brand cube that broke when I dropped it a lot. I hope to average between 15-17 seconds by the end of 2013. I'm learning how to solve the 4x4x4 but I have stopped learning the parity fixes because I'm lazy. I practice about four hours a day. I'm to lazy to learn the rest of the OLLs and change to bottom cross. My New Year's resolution, as you may have guessed, is to stop slacking off and become more hardworking, which may be key to breaking the sub-20 and possibly the sub-18 mark

bobthebuilder

Hello everyone! My name is Xin from Singapore and I'm 13. I'm averaging around 20 seconds using the Fridrich Method with cross on side, F2L, 2-look OLL and almost all the PLLs (I left out the N Perms because I was lazy). I've been cubing for a year and I'm currently using an unlubricated cube that I bought from the mart ( For some reason I am scared to disassemble the cube entirely for lubrication, although I have already done so with my Rubiks brand cube that broke when I dropped it a lot. I hope to average between 15-17 seconds by the end of 2013. I'm learning how to solve the 4x4x4 but I have stopped learning the parity fixes because I'm lazy. I practice about four hours a day. I'm to lazy to learn the rest of the OLLs and change to bottom cross. My New Year's resolution, as you may have guessed, is to stop slacking off and become more hardworking, which may be key to breaking the sub-20 and possibly the sub-18 mark

XIN: Welcome !!! Another SG cuber !! Are you taking part in the upcoming Singapore Open 2013 on 23rd Feb 2013 ?

Its good to invest in a GOOD quality cube.
I think you can cut down your time by 10 secs if you use the Dayan 5 Zhanchi 3x3. Many people are using that !

For the 4x4, I would recommend the Shengshou 4x4.

Cheers..... and welcome again !
Message me if you need anything !

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Welcome!
First of all, you are progressing quite well! If you are averaging 20 seconds with 2 look OLL and almost all PLLs, that is great! I say you should keep finishing up your PLLs and learn about an OLL a day until you know them all. You should probably get a zhanchi at this point. 20 seconds is enough for one. You should get it from bobthebuilder's online shop in singapore, I guess. I think that just getting a zhanchi can get you down to 15ish, but you may need to get used to the speed of the zhanchi. You could also get a guhong v2 (I'd recommend that for your level, but whatever looks better from reviews to you is what buy). Trust me, you have potential. Keep practicing and good luck to you!

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
XIN: Welcome !!! Another SG cuber !! Are you taking part in the upcoming Singapore Open 2013 on 23rd Feb 2013 ?

Its good to invest in a GOOD quality cube.
I think you can cut down your time by 10 secs if you use the Dayan 5 Zhanchi 3x3. Many people are using that !

For the 4x4, I would recommend the Shengshou 4x4.

Cheers..... and welcome again !
Message me if you need anything !

I'll be taking part in the Singapore Open 2013 but I'm only taking part in the 3x3x3 event. I will probably take part in the 4x4x4 event and possibly one-handed next year. As for the other posts that I suggest that I get a Zhanchi or a Guhong, I will only get them later because I need to save up. Instead, I will get a more affordable cube( possibly the shengshou 3x3x3 from bob's shop). I will post a 3 of 5 average for 3x3x3 daily if possible. Thanks for all the compliments!

Last edited:

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today's average: 21.25
(24.52),22.25,(17.48),19.07,22.44
Timer used: Cube Timer
Link:http://www.cubetimer.com/
I made a major F2L mistake on the first solve when I slotted a pair wrongly and had terrible look ahead( To me, a one second pause is very bad). Third solve had an OLL skip. I have this horrible problem of locking up at the last layer, resulting in a 1-2 second lost of time. This happened in several times, although I can't recall exactly which solves had last layer lock-ups. Another bad habit is that during F2L, when I can only see one side of the edge in an empty slot I make an assumption of the color of the other side of the edge. For example, if I am looking for a white-red edge( For your information, I use the blue cross) and I see the white side of an edge in BR slot, I pull the edge out with a R'UR, only to find that it is a white-green edge and that I have wasted one second( It takes only about .2 seconds to perform the trigger, but since I assumed that it is a white-red edge, my look ahead is messed up and it takes a while to recover). I consider this to be a decent time, although I've had better averages than this. If you do not understand what I mean, please reply to this post and I will clarify with you. Also please reply to this post if you have an idea to stop my bad habits. Thanks!

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today's average: 21.25
(24.52),22.25,(17.48),19.07,22.44
Timer used: Cube Timer
I made a major F2L mistake on the first solve when I slotted a pair wrongly and had terrible look ahead( To me, a one second pause is very bad). Third solve had an OLL skip. I have this horrible problem of locking up at the last layer, resulting in a 1-2 second lost of time. This happened in several times, although I can't recall exactly which solves had last layer lock-ups. Another bad habit is that during F2L, when I can only see one side of the edge in an empty slot I make an assumption of the color of the other side of the edge. For example, if I am looking for a white-red edge( For your information, I use the blue cross) and I see the white side of an edge in BR slot, I pull the edge out with a R'UR, only to find that it is a white-green edge and that I have wasted one second( It takes only about .2 seconds to perform the trigger, but since I assumed that it is a white-red edge, my look ahead is messed up and it takes a while to recover). I consider this to be a decent time, although I've had better averages than this. If you do not understand what I mean, please reply to this post and I will clarify with you. Also please reply to this post if you have an idea to stop my bad habits. Thanks!

Last layer lockups would probably be much helped by getting a good cube. I don't know about the SS 3x3 but I think if you're trying to save up for a good one don't bother to get the SS... then you can save up faster. I don't think you need that much to get a Zhanchi... what, $9 or so with free shipping? (Someone correct me or provide an actual link.) When I was still using a storebought, I got to the point where last layer lockups were really really annoying because I was faster and yet the cube didn't corner cut in the least. The only other thing you can do about that is to turn much more accurately I guess. And don't get too excited from the pressure of finishing quickly or accuracy goes down. But really, I'd just recommend a good cube.

bobthebuilder

I'll be taking part in the Singapore Open 2013 but I'm only taking part in the 3x3x3 event. I will probably take part in the 4x4x4 event and possibly one-handed next year. As for the other posts that I suggest that I get a Zhanchi or a Guhong, I will only get them later because I need to save up. Instead, I will get a more affordable cube( possibly the shengshou 3x3x3 from bob's shop). I will post a 3 of 5 average for 3x3x3 daily if possible. Thanks for all the compliments!

Good memory for solving cube is one thing but as the other bro said, a good quality cube is important part of solving. Shengshou has come out with a NEW 3x3x3 which they call WIND. Its a new cube. Its coming in together with my latest shipment these few days. So I do not know the "performance" of the cube.

But what I can guarantee is the perfect, smooth, good quality of the Dayan 5 Zhanchi 3x3. And it does NOT pop and CUTS corners. I can demo it to you if there's a chance. I have sold many to the friends, forum-ers here and outside and not 1 complain !

Do check out my link below ! Cheers..also replied your PM already.... !

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool, I was actually born in Singapore, but I moved here to the US when I was still very very young. I went back there over the past summer, and it's a great place! You have very good English, I've heard some very... interesting Singlish before.
Thanks for the compliment! the reason for this is that I am home-schooled ( If I did go to school I'd be influenced by all the singlish there) and my parents are against singlish.
Still, I know a little singlish and I've used it when talking casually with others( excluding my parents).

googlebleh

WCA
2012WEEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another piece of advice: There's a couple new 4x4x4s coming out, so idk if you want to jump for the ShengShou 4x4x4 now or wait to see the new ones. Check back on the forums for updates in the next few weeks :)

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today's average: 22.37
22.10, 22.61, 22.40,(23.09),(22.03)
Timer: Cube Timer
Link: http://www.cubetimer.com/
Pretty consistent solve, but cross was pretty bad ( about 4 seconds per solve. About six seconds for the last one). In the fourth solve, someone passing by shouted "rubik cube"( I am aware that it is spelled Rubik's) causing me to lose my concentration and one second.The last solve had really bad cross because I got the permutation wrong and had to fix it. Fortunately, a really good F2L made the solve the fastest of the five.

Ooi Yan Qing

walao eh! really ah? kong simi? dun anyhow say can anot? think you very zai is it?

Singlish should sound like this: walao eh! this time si beh jia lat liao! like this ma~really ah? really lah! Don't play play lah~

Btw, welcome to the site Xin. I'm a Malaysian. Trust me, get the Guhong v2. It's cheaper and smoother than a Zhanchi.

cxinlee

WCA
2013XINL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today's average: 21.98
21.89, 21.84, (26.15),( 20.94),22.20
Timer: Cube Timer
Look ahead was better than previous. Third solve had really bad look ahead plus lots of lockups.
Current stats:
No. of lucky solves: 1
PB lucky solve: 17.48
PB non-lucky solve:19.07
PB average of 5: 21.25
No. of DNFs: 0