• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello from The Netherlands!

FlorisU

Hi everyone! My name is Floris from the Netherlands and I just started cubing for 6 months now. I’m 30 years old, so unfortunately I missed a lot of cubing years. But, you’re never to old to learn. Today for the first time got a sub30! 29,5 to be precise. I average sub40. Next goal, average sub25! Me and my girlfriend are expecting are second baby. So I think it’s going to take a while to reach my goal haha.

I’m learning full PLL and trying to improve my F2L look ahead. My turning speed sometimes is good, but most of the time I know it’s not great during F2L. I also struggle during cross. Especially when I’m using max 15 sec inspection time. I don’t like practicing the cross, but don’t know why.

It’s nice to have a place where you can share this amazing hobby and I’m excited to learn from all of you!

Kind regards,
Floris

D

Deleted member 55877

Welcome to the forums!

Lookahead isn't really necessary until you average sub 15. I around 9 with minimal lookahead skills. I would recommend you focus on improving your F2L efficiency rather than work on lookahead. Also, practicing cross is important at your level. A way to make it more fun is to practice solving as many cross edges as you can blindfolded, and eventually you will be able to do all 4 consistently. This teaches not only how pieces on the cube move, but also will encourage you to learn more efficient ways to solve the cross.

Good luck on averaging sub 25!

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone! My name is Floris from the Netherlands and I just started cubing for 6 months now. I’m 30 years old, so unfortunately I missed a lot of cubing years. But, you’re never to old to learn. Today for the first time got a sub30! 29,5 to be precise. I average sub40. Next goal, average sub25! Me and my girlfriend are expecting are second baby. So I think it’s going to take a while to reach my goal haha.

I’m learning full PLL and trying to improve my F2L look ahead. My turning speed sometimes is good, but most of the time I know it’s not great during F2L. I also struggle during cross. Especially when I’m using max 15 sec inspection time. I don’t like practicing the cross, but don’t know why.

It’s nice to have a place where you can share this amazing hobby and I’m excited to learn from all of you!

Kind regards,
Floris
Hello and welcome! Have you ever been to a competition?
and
can help you learn cross!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
A way to make it more fun is to practice solving as many cross edges as you can blindfolded, and eventually you will be able to do all 4 consistently.
It's not fun but I liken it to a strength exercise. At the start it'll be extremely difficult and you'll be pushing yourself to your limit, but over time it gets much easier.

FlorisU

Welcome to the forums!

Lookahead isn't really necessary until you average sub 15. I around 9 with minimal lookahead skills. I would recommend you focus on improving your F2L efficiency rather than work on lookahead. Also, practicing cross is important at your level. A way to make it more fun is to practice solving as many cross edges as you can blindfolded, and eventually you will be able to do all 4 consistently. This teaches not only how pieces on the cube move, but also will encourage you to learn more efficient ways to solve the cross.

Good luck on averaging sub 25!

Thank you for welcoming me and your great advices. In the many tutorials I’ve been watching they told similar advices, but I noticed I’m struggling a bit with the concept of efficient F2L. I’m trying to avoid bad habits like turning the cube unnecessarily, but then I struggle with seeing (knowing) the pieces in the back. I know the concept of solving de pairs in the back first, but this is not always the best case. So that’s why I think I have to look a head, but I understand that’s not the right approach. I want to respect the forum rules, so I will search for a topic where this is discussed, but I understand what you’re saying and I will put my focus on efficient F2L. I sometimes practice the cross blindfolded, but in a way it scares me to fail during a harder cross and that’s the point where I’m moving on and practicing F2L. So I have to push myself to learn a new skill in stead of avoiding it. It’s being a real journey. How long are you cubing and what age did you start?

FlorisU

Welcome! Can you solve any other puzzles?

Thank you! I know how to solve the 4x4 until the last PLL parity. The 5x5 can I solve if there are no parity problems, so still have to learn those. Also know the beginner method of the 2x2. I don’t have that much time to practice, so I focus meanly on the 3x3. And you?

FlorisU

Hello and welcome! Have you ever been to a competition?
and
can help you learn cross!

Thanks for the tips! I’ve never been to competitions. I don’t know if I ever have the guts and skills to compete haha. Maybe as a spectator. I enjoy watching the Monkey League. Do you go to competition?

rubik2005

The GAN 365 M. I also bought the Rubiks Connected. It’s fun to see some more stats, but the GAN feels much better for me. What’s your main?
Nice! I have a Tengyun v1 and an XS (which is basically your main with adjustable magnets). They're both really good, but I sometimes use the XS since its stickerless and little bigger which helps me look at the pieces a bit better.

Thank you for welcoming me and your great advices. In the many tutorials I’ve been watching they told similar advices, but I noticed I’m struggling a bit with the concept of efficient F2L. I’m trying to avoid bad habits like turning the cube unnecessarily, but then I struggle with seeing (knowing) the pieces in the back. I know the concept of solving de pairs in the back first, but this is not always the best case. So that’s why I think I have to look a head, but I understand that’s not the right approach. I want to respect the forum rules, so I will search for a topic where this is discussed, but I understand what you’re saying and I will put my focus on efficient F2L. I sometimes practice the cross blindfolded, but in a way it scares me to fail during a harder cross and that’s the point where I’m moving on and practicing F2L. So I have to push myself to learn a new skill in stead of avoiding it. It’s being a real journey. How long are you cubing and what age did you start?
Thank you! I know how to solve the 4x4 until the last PLL parity. The 5x5 can I solve if there are no parity problems, so still have to learn those. Also know the beginner method of the 2x2. I don’t have that much time to practice, so I focus meanly on the 3x3. And you?

Also, you can use the " + Quote" or reply to respond to multiple posts at once.

FlorisU

It's not fun but I liken it to a strength exercise. At the start it'll be extremely difficult and you'll be pushing yourself to your limit, but over time it gets much easier.

I believe that’s true. Everything with cubing so far has been an eye opener for me. There is so much behind it and your brain can really absorb a lot of information to the point you don’t have to think about it anymore. Just need to push to that point and enjoy the result.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
For WCA puzzles, I can solve 2x2-7x7, as well as pyraminx, megaminx, skewb, square-1, clock, 3x3 one-handed, and 3x3 blindfolded. So I basically practice everything except for the big blinds and FMC.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the tips! I’ve never been to competitions. I don’t know if I ever have the guts and skills to compete haha. Maybe as a spectator. I enjoy watching the Monkey League. Do you go to competition?
I was going to go to one, but than lockdown came back :(
if you like the monkey league, you might like watching the permutation league: https://www.speedsolving.com/thread...-out-click-to-see-new-event-to-be-added.79024
shameless plug