• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

HEDGESLAMMER

blah

brah
Jeremy Fleischman? I always thought it was Jason Baum... :rolleyes:

What drawings?

And the purpose of this thread is to...?

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Different names are for the purposes of team BLD calling. Though for some reason I can't use or hear the term "hedgeslammer" (or "hamsledger" or "slamhedger") without giggling uncontrollably.

blah

brah
We just say RFRF, FRFR, LFLF or FLFL :p Without the "prime"s because it's pretty understood I guess.

blah

brah
Any chance you can give us the 4 special cases that he uses this for?

I can think of 5 now. It can be used for multislotting, LLEO control, LLEP control, LLCO control and LLCP control ;) Seriously, it can, it's just that no one does it.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry I wasn't clear:

Jeremy and David were showing me 4 particularly bad F2L cases, where if you do the sledgehammer, it sets up the pair really nicely. Of course at the time he was only quickly showing me so I didn't commit it to memory. But definitely worth learning.

Fishcake

I sometimes use these triggers rather than URU'R' to avoid getting the 'dot' case for OLL. For me, the 'dot' case is really bad because I just hate long algorithms (except the 2-gen Z perm for PLL :D) and M slices. The other two cases (I'm still using 2-Look OLL) are much faster because they only require 6 moves.

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hahaha. To be perfectly clear, I first saw the term "sledgehammer" on Jason Baum's website after meeting him at US Nationals last year. I knew of this sequence of odd turns as the somewhat ambiguous phrase "triggering the front", and I only ever used it for very basic eo control on my last pair (say to avoid a dot oll) or for a fairly fast solution to the beginner's f2l case.

Jason Baum's use of the sledgehammer to deal with one particularly nasty f2l case amazed me. I then saw Lucas Garron's reconstruction of Erik Akkersdijk's 8.9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtamR8Vv9s, where I noticed that Erik used the sledgehammer to deal with another terrible f2l case. That got me thinking about other f2l cases that could be dealt with using sledgehammers.

This turned out a wealth of elegant solutions to f2l cases that would have otherwise required one or two regrips, or where just plain nasty. For example, the case where the pair you're working on is in the correct spot, but upside down can be solved by doing a U', right sledgehammer, inverse right trigger (see http://alg.garron.us/?alg=R-_F_R_F-_R_U-_R-&ini=x2_R_U_R-_F_R-_F-_R). Here's another interesting one: http://alg.garron.us/?alg=R-_F_R_F-_U_R_U_R-&ini=x2_R_U-_R-_U2_F-_U-_F_U

When I showed David some of these, he started referring to the sledgehammer as the hedgeslammer. We then realized that the term makes sense as the inverse of a sledgehammer. This fits extraordinarily well with the Berkeley emphasis on intuitive f2l (doing everything in terms of triggers, inverse triggers, U, and now sledgehammer/hedgeslammers/hamsledges/slamhedgers). I proposed the terms to everyone after Berkeley Summer 2009, and due to their unbelievably silly sounds, they seem to have stuck.

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as I know, I was the first to start calling R' F R F' the sledgehammer, but I didn't even come up with the name. That would be my fiance, when we were doing some team BLD one night and I kept wanting to call out that case but didn't have a name for it, and she suggested the sledgehammer name, and it stuck with me ever since.

But the hedgeslammer/hamsledger/slamhedger variations are totally awesome! I love it!

peedu

Maybe you don't use these algorithms. I use some of them, but there are several occasions.

PLL:
Jb - (R U R' F') (R U R' U' R') F (R2 U' R' U')
Ra - R U R' F' R U2 R' U2 R' F R U R U2 R' U'
Rb - R' U2 l R U' R' U l' U2' R F R U' R' U' R U R' F'
T - R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'
Y - F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F' or F R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' F'

OLL:
35 - R' U' (R U R' F') (R U R' U') (R' F R2)
46 - L F U' R U R' F' L'
37 - F R U' R' U' R U R' F' (F halfsune+RUR'F')
13 - F U R U2 R' U' R U R' F' (also a combination with sune)
etc.

Mirrors are there also: L' U' L F
OLL:
43&33 - usually done f-sexymove-f' or the mirror, but can be done with alternating the mirrors of R U R' F':
R U R' F' L' U' L F
L' U' L F R U R' F'

Or from different angle in PLL Ja - R' U' R B R' U' R U l U' R2 F R' F

So if we call R U R' F' say a Thumbelina (I use thumb for the last F'), then Y-perm would be: F-halfsune-thumbelina-sexymove-sledgehammer -
F (RU'R'U') (RUR'F') (RUR'U') (R'FRF').

Peedu

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Take a look at all those algs again. the actual move is just (R U R'). The F' is just a setup or an undo setup.

From your example:
is actually
F (RU'R'U') (RUR') F' (RUR'U') (R'FRF')

You can easily deduct this by seeing that all those (aba'b') moves actually cancel to nothing (a - a' = nothing) or at most an AUF.

Last edited:

peedu

Take a look at all those algs again. the actual move is just (R U R'). The F' is just a setup or an undo setup.

From your example:
is actually
F (RUR'U') (RUR') F' (RUR'U') (R'FRF')

You can easily deduct this by seeing that all those (aba'b') moves actually cancel to nothing (a - a' = nothing) or at most an AUF.

Lt-UnReaL already corrected the U->U' error in your message.

Yes, I can see that the actual move is RUR' inserting something into the FR slot of F2L.

Is there any other common trigger that I have not noticed and which is even more frequent than this RUR'F' thing? And maybe deserves a nickname.

It is a question of personal perception of course, but I like to group the RUR' and F' together just for easier memorization and in order to teach it to the others.

Since there is no common nickname for it, then I will call the RUR'F' a Thumbelina and adopt later when some other prepositions arise.

Peedu

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kalius Cubing Help & Questions 12