• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GuHong worth getting? Pros, cons. Troubles?

WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The GuHong is the best cube I've tried. Ever. I'm extremely aggressive with turning and it performs fine. I don't feel that the FII or the A5 are more "stable".

Just my opinion though. As a Stanist, some people don't trust my opinion.

WCA
2010XING02
well i thuroughly liked my guhong no real complaints except for the edge pieces sometimes felt a bit sharp xD
i lubed once with maru and hten tried jigaloo ( i liked jigaloo better, dissasemble spray and dry method)
but tbh you might as well shoot for hte new lingyun =\ looks like a beefed up guhong anyway

I will laugh at your Death Certificate.
"Killed from a Rubik's Cube Edge Piece Pop that pierced the heart"
Nah jk, but are they that sharp? Mine don't feel that way.
If you cube for a long time, your thumbs start to hurt.

It doesn't feel painful holding two middle edges.

the problem i think is that corners sometimes split open slightly, and in that split second the edges of the cube are super duper sharp. i got a papercut-like cut once on my ring finger from OH cubing with the guhong.

when turning it, my guhong definitely feels lighter than either the f-2 or the a-5. maybe this is what people mean when they say it feels less stable? >_> i don't think there are any actual stability issues with it. and my core is doing just fine, i don't know what that one random guy did to his poor cube on page 3.

maggot

the core- it start to loosen itself. i put C4U core/spring and now it have that springy turning (maybe i try to flip the spring)

the piece- VERY SHARP out of box. i had to file them with my finger, i guess excess flashing from molding process is on some cube.

the cube-
pro- reacts very well to maru lube. it screams.
it takes sloppy turning and doesnt put up much fussing.
it is first cube that i would describe as airy. it is buttery like F2, but it glides.
con- the sticker are dark (but good quality, and nothing that cubesmith didnt fix)
i dont like the 2 part piece construction, maybe i will glue them
after replacing the core, you can hear the spring (probably my fault) but out of the box it is silent.

some people say this overshoot, well, my turning style it doesnt. with this cube your style changes to a lighter touch and faster turning.

drewsopchak

WCA
2010SOPC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i like it fells okay. cornering is fine. i can perform algs fast..very fast it's my main now. although it would be aazing if dayan took away the multiple partassembly and made edge caps like an f-2. getting rid of the mod lines that make it slightly crisp.

Senkoy

Yeah, who spends that much on lunch? Are you going to a fancy diner for lunch or what?

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like all cubes, how the GuHong reacts to corner cutting, popping, and "stability" is directly affected by your tension. The GuHong can allow for a loose tension and not pop that much, and it can have a semi tight tension and still cut corners pretty well. I think tensioning a GuHong is probably easier than tensioning the other "fast cubes" whereas probably a bit more difficult than the smooth cubes (F series (including GH)). The GuHong doesn't lock up much at all, but it doesn't have the same "smooth" feeling of the F series cubes. I much prefer practicing with my GuHong, for the simple fact I have it on a pretty loose setting and it will force me to become more stable. I might use my FII for competition still, but right now my GuHong is a great cube to use.

FYI: The GuHong cores commonly have one hole in them that is too small and won't allow you to put the screw in. I suggest using a sharp knife to fix this issue. Insert the tip of the blade to where it's just spanning the diameter of the hole, then slowly (with a very little amount of pressure) spin the core around the blade (or spin the blade inside the core). Do so carefully, just enough to shave just enough plastic away to get your screw started, you don't need it after that.

Just don't be like jms_gears and put a screw in slanted!

To all for you questioning Andrew's lunch: It kind of depends where he ate lunch at...

TK 421

YouTube
Visit Channel
Like all cubes, how the GuHong reacts to corner cutting, popping, and "stability" is directly affected by your tension. The GuHong can allow for a loose tension and not pop that much, and it can have a semi tight tension and still cut corners pretty well. I think tensioning a GuHong is probably easier than tensioning the other "fast cubes" whereas probably a bit more difficult than the smooth cubes (F series (including GH)). The GuHong doesn't lock up much at all, but it doesn't have the same "smooth" feeling of the F series cubes. I much prefer practicing with my GuHong, for the simple fact I have it on a pretty loose setting and it will force me to become more stable. I might use my FII for competition still, but right now my GuHong is a great cube to use.

FYI: The GuHong cores commonly have one hole in them that is too small and won't allow you to put the screw in. I suggest using a sharp knife to fix this issue. Insert the tip of the blade to where it's just spanning the diameter of the hole, then slowly (with a very little amount of pressure) spin the core around the blade (or spin the blade inside the core). Do so carefully, just enough to shave just enough plastic away to get your screw started, you don't need it after that.

Just don't be like jms_gears and put a screw in slanted!

To all for you questioning Andrew's lunch: It kind of depends where he ate lunch at...

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a A1 core?

anyway thanks, just noticed a imperfection in my core.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
My Dayan GuHong turns way, way faster than any other of my cubes (even way better than my AVs). And yes, once you get used to its corner cutting and big stickers switching to other cubes is kinda hard.

The one thing I dislike about it is its lack of "clickness" that the AV has. You get used to not begin precise and ignoring overshooting by counting on its cutting abilities... that screws your cubing overall.

b15

My Dayan GuHong keeps unscrewing itself no matter what core or screw/springs I use.... =/ anyone know how i can fix this issue?

Toquinha1977

WCA
2008YIMV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have two Guhongs, in black and white. For whatever reasons, I like the white one better...I suspect that the plastic is a little softer, although that's been disputed, but it's possible that I just managed to luck out with the tension. In general, they're probably some of the better cubes I've ever used and are awesome for OH, but if they become your main cubes, you'll need to make adjustments to your cubing style as you'll be overshooting your turns a lot. I haven't noticed any problems with the core that others have mentioned...on average, how often do you have to make adjustments to tighten?

I should mention that without any sort of lube, they feel gummy and mushy. I also use Jig-A-Loo to lube, but I prefer to insert the straw into one of the holes and work it in rather than a compelete disassembly and spray-down, otherwise it's almost too lubricated (the white one got lubed via straw, the black one got lubed via disassembly and spray-down).

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I have two Guhongs, in black and white. For whatever reasons, I like the white one better

I have the same opinion. It's as though there's more friction at work in the black.
The one I use the most the black and yellow centre caps are slightly raised and pop when I'm practicing my M2 PLLs every 3rd alg or so.
I think this might happen with all the other centre caps if I were colour neutral but the centrifugal force only acts on the other 4 centre caps half the time.

Pro_Yo

I have been playing with the guhong for a couple of weeks. After properly applying Lubix to the core and a very small amount to the pieces, it is one of the most rewarding cubes I have ever played with. To give you an idea my averages were around 19.xx and now they have dropped to about 17.xx. It is definitely worth getting and Lubix is almost a necessity with speedcubing. Erik is using Lubix, when he broke the 4x4 record recently, he said to Donavan(owner of LubixCube) that the silicone really helped his 4x4.
GuHong+Lubix = The "OMG" Cube

Chapuunka

WCA
2010JUDD01
I tried using different cores, such as the C4U core and the Alpha core, but it still unscrews itself no matter what ....

If it's unscewing, it's going to be an issue with either the core or the screw, most likely one of them is stripped. Check both of them to make sure the threads are fine.

scotzbhoy

WCA
2009COGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's a great cube- turns really well, great corner cutting, almost never locks or pops. The only bad thing I would say about it is that it is a little too fast (for my style anyway) in that it tends to overshoot somewhat. But I have also noticed mine has got better/I've gotten more used to it as I've broken it in.