• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Google to buy Digg for around $200 Million

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
If you haven't seen yet, Google looks to be buying Digg.com for around $200,000,000:
Google’s on and off negotiations with Digg have been back on in a big way for the last six weeks, we’ve heard from multiple sources inside of Google, and the two companies are close to a deal that will bring Digg under the Google News property. The acquisition price is in the $200 million range, says one source. We first wrote about the Google-Digg negotiations in March. Despite a vigorous denial by Digg CEO Jay Adelson the negotiations continued, although Google’s Marissa Mayer reportedly cooled on the company for a period of time.
The companies are now in final negotiations according to our sources, although it could be a couple of weeks before it closes. And while the major deal points have been agreed on, the acquisition could still fall apart. Microsoft, which was previously interested in the company, may be willing to step back in at a much lower price.
Most of Digg’s revenue comes from a three year ad deal with Microsoft, which will be terminated on a sale to Google. Digg has raised $11.3 million in venture capital.
Full article can be read here.

I'm actually surprised. I think Google could do better by working on something similar of their own.

immortalcube

There were rumors last year. Everyone denied them, and it was insinuated that they originated as an April Fool's prank. Frankly, I'm shocked, as it looked like a hoax at the time, and I hadn't heard anything since (although I haven't been active on Digg recently, so I might've missed something). I wonder how much will change if Google buys.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is... wow... i kind of saw it coming but... wow. This is really amazing imo. Google popularity will push digg to expand rapidly, and imo, technologies like digg, where there is no editor or central authority are where the future lies. In footsteps of Wikipedia, the first exclusively user-generated content we go... to infinity and beyond :)

bearit

i'm glad it fell through. Google is becoming to big of an empire. don't get me wrong I love their services but they are getting way to huge. i don't think not getting digg will hold them back to much, but it is a bit of a help. I'm expecting that soon they will start offering a complete operating system right up there with windows xp/vista and the mac OS series.

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01
That has been in discussion for a while, Google making an open-source OS in the likes of Linux (or a flavor of Linux? I forget the details..)

But that may just be a rumor. I heard it somewhere, and have nothing to back it up.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The closest to Google OS we're going to see any time soon is this

http://www.thinkgos.com/

I dont think right now google are really interested in that market. Wait til windows collapses because of the 'failure' of vista and because of pushing windows 7 too hard ;) i say 'failure' because i quite like vista. maybe time for a poll...

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel

I dont think right now google are really interested in that market. Wait til windows collapses because of the 'failure' of vista and because of pushing windows 7 too hard ;) i say 'failure' because i quite like vista. maybe time for a poll...

Personally Google would be making a huge mistake to go into OS market, and I'm quite certain they know it too, and there are not even remote plans to make this happen. Google will take over the world with online Apps, and if they ever make something that resembles an OS, it will somehow be web-based. Yes, web-based.

I don't think of Vista as a failure. Its a nice OS, and I have to switch away from it to XP right now, and I am a little sad. It grew on me with some nice features, especially the start bar search.

Windows 7 will be released around 2010, plenty of time until then.

Nukoca

IT'S UP!

I knew they had been working on it, but I had no idea it was available for download until today. I'm downloading the 518.9 MB file as I type :D

I'm so excited right now! Has anyone else tried it?

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

IT'S UP!

I knew they had been working on it, but I had no idea it was available for download until today. I'm downloading the 518.9 MB file as I type :D

I'm so excited right now! Has anyone else tried it?

I can't help but be skeptical. Why is that when I google search for Chrome OS I find absolutely nothing about this release?