• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Getting faster at Megaminx

OldSwiss

I just started with megaminx and still need around 5 minutes.

Any Tips to get faster? I use F2L and 4LL.

Are there any special fingertricks and tricks to move pieces to the other side of the ball?
I think finding pieces and moving them around is what takes me the most time in the moment.

Also my F2L efficiency is bad. In 3x3 I always bring up pieces to the upper layer in the correct place and orientation.
On the Megaminx I'm sometimes happy to have it in the right area and care about the pairing later. But I think this will get better with some more practice.

CT-6666

WCA
2021ZURC01
I am not that fast yet. I average around 1:35-1:40. But I would advise you to learn to pair the pieces in some random location and then bringing it to the right spot and start experimenting with ways to put the piece in his spot, that you can't do on 3x3. And if you start averaging around 2 Minutes start to learn the 4LLL algs.

Are there any special fingertricks and tricks to move pieces to the other side of the ball?
I think finding pieces and moving them around is what takes me the most time in the moment.

Also my F2L efficiency is bad. In 3x3 I always bring up pieces to the upper layer in the correct place and orientation.
On the Megaminx I'm sometimes happy to have it in the right area and care about the pairing later. But I think this will get better with some more practice.
How many solves have you done?

OldSwiss

I am not that fast yet. I average around 1:35-1:40. But I would advise you to learn to pair the pieces in some random location and then bringing it to the right spot and start experimenting with ways to put the piece in his spot, that you can't do on 3x3. And if you start averaging around 2 Minutes start to learn the 4LLL algs.
If I have the next two pieces in the same layer I try to put them together and move them as a pair, but I don't have enough practice to move them fast and without damaging something else.

Hey cool du bist ja auch Schweizer aber scheinbar waren wir bisher nie auf den selben Comps. Ich war auch erst einmal beim Swisscubing Cup Finale.
Diese Jahre plane ich aber den einen oder anderen Event, hauptsächlich in der Ostschweiz. Vielleicht sieht man sich mal ;-)

How many solves have you done?

Only around 20. Still much to practice but if it takes 5 Minutes for a solve, the number doesn not rise so fast as for a small cube 😋

Cuber987

Only around 20. Still much to practice but if it takes 5 Minutes for a solve, the number doesn not rise so fast as for a small cube 😋
More solves alone can get you down to something like three minutes

Thom S.

Most (early) progression in Mega comes from S2L.
There are many things you can do that you can't on 3x3. Also, contrary to CFOP F2L, it IS beneficial to have a set order to to pairs. Obviously, after 100 solves, that order isn't optimized. Helps tremendously with finding pieces.

Hey, fellow german speakers. I mean, swiss people don't count but still.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel

Up until like sub1min, the bulk of improvement is made from just doing solves and getting comfortable with how to move pieces around. I would strongly encourage you to use Westlund style S2L and solve your S2L with a fixed order to help with lookahead/piece tracking/prioritization. 4LLL is enough to get very fast so once you have learned that you will likely be set for whatever speed goal you have. You can watch megaminx example solves from fast people to learn fingertricks and more efficient solutions to move pieces around and solve pairs, like backslot insertions.