• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

German Open 2009 in Gütersloh

mpohl100

Did you know...

- that Erik wasn't dressed as good as Rama and Joel?
- that Maria did a very nice 23.08 second solve?
- that Kai did his first sub 14 average in competition
- ... and messed up in the finals?
- that Arnaud thinks he only spent 2500€ on puzzles^^?
- that I did very good in the semi-finals?
- that I really messed up in the 4x4 event?
- that I also don't care about chronology?
- that the venue was smoke-free?
- that the food was great?
- that Hakan can speak 6 languages?
- that I didn't get below 2:30 at the 5x5 twice in a row?
- that Arnaud and I did a bad teamsolve of 1:33?
- that the hotel I chose was awesome?
- that cubing parents have been very bored?
- that some 12 year old tried to solve a 3x3 blindfolded by doing some random Fridrich solve?
- that he did not succeed? (what a surprise)
- that Arnaud's memo was interrupted by that...
- ... but was successful nonetheless?
- that Rama never gets laughs when he jokes, but always gets laughs when he doesn't want to be funny?
- that Maria told smoebody that I live in Hamburg?
- that Ton was dressed very well?
- that Raffael Ort is a "Lord" in Great Britain?
- that Ron's PB is "eight mistakes in one final"? (quotation)
- that Ron only did four mistakes in his first three solves of the final?
- that Rama can quote body language?
- that I had a great time in Gütersloh?
- that I want to thank the organisation team for being faster than the schedule?
- that I don't know more "Did you know?"-s ?

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
Did you know...
- that 12 people (excluding their guests) did not come to German Open 2009, although they had registered and confirmed?
- that 4 people (excluding their guests) did not pay although they competed?
- that we still had to pay food and drinks for those people, out of our own pocket?
- that we hope our sponsor Jumbo will cover our extra costs...?
- that German Open 2009 was my worst competition ever, although I actually trained and am faster than ever? (worst positions, worst results compared to personal bests)
- that the only record I broke was the number of mistakes in 3x3 competition? (used to be 18, now it is 19 in 15 solves)
- that I had a PLL skip on my worst solve of the competition (19.09, 2nd solve in final)?
- that Pim worked all weekend as a volunteer on own expenses and hardly left his chair?
- that I dislike organising the Multiple blindfolded event in parallel with other events?
- that we have such a great bunch of people? Only one kid irritates me, or is it just me? No it is not you. I am pretty sure the kid does not read this forum. :)
- that (almost...) all people are willing to help with judging and scrambling? Honourful mention for (in random order): Nora Christ, Olivér Perge, Lars Vandenbergh, Gaël Dusser (Fewest moves)
- that some couples like to judge each other? and some don't...
- that Mats beat me in 'dizzy solving'?
- that I beat Mats in running around the pond solving?
- that noone dared to compete in naked solving while swimming across the pond?
- that Fewest Moves is harsh if you find a fantastic start, but you are always 2 blocks short to find a fantastic end? You simply do not allow yourself to switch to another start.
- that only WC 2005 and WC 2007 had more competitors in 4x4 event?
(select competitionId, max(pos) r from Results where eventId='444' group by competitionId order by r)
- that only WC 2007 had more competitors in 5x5 event?
(select competitionId, max(pos) r from Results where eventId='555' group by competitionId order by r)
- that soon (3 months after establishment of WCA Regulations 2009) we have to decide what to do with Old Multiblind results?
- that 20 puzzles already exchanged owners before the doors of the venue opened? (many of them were floppy cubes and wooden 2x2s)

Have fun,

Ron

Last edited:

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know...

- that only WC 2005 and WC 2007 had more competitors in 4x4 event?
(select competitionId, max(pos) r from Results where eventId='444' group by competitionId order by r)
- that only WC 2007 had more competitors in 5x5 event?
(select competitionId, max(pos) r from Results where eventId='555' group by competitionId order by r)
Have fun,

Ron

I think I will have a good chance to beat nr of competitors of the 4x4 and 5x5 at the Czech Open, of the 24 already registered, 23 will do the 4x4 and 20 do the 5x5....

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
Just a small side note on my post about people who register but do not attend the competition.

Everyone who cancels his registration is not a problem. Although of course the earlier the better (excluding special cases like being sick). And of course on your own initiative, not because I am personally asking everyone for an additional confirmation.

Personally I do not care about the money. It is just a means to show that people invest in a competition, and that some people just do not take the smallest effort to inform that they are not coming.
My main problem actually is that we make a time schedule that enables everyone to compete in many events with as many solves as possible given the time available. If you register but do not attend, then you are actually stealing opportunities from other persons.

Have fun,

Ron

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a small side note on my post about people who register but do not attend the competition.

Everyone who cancels his registration is not a problem. Although of course the earlier the better (excluding special cases like being sick). And of course on your own initiative, not because I am personally asking everyone for an additional confirmation.

Personally I do not care about the money. It is just a means to show that people invest in a competition, and that some people just do not take the smallest effort to inform that they are not coming.
My main problem actually is that we make a time schedule that enables everyone to compete in many events with as many solves as possible given the time available. If you register but do not attend, then you are actually stealing opportunities from other persons.

Have fun,

Ron

Personally I would say , they will not be allowed to register at the German Open for next year. I assume it is just laziness but since it cost money and effect others to compete, I think we must be more strict, but there is no WCA regulation that support this.

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know...?
this was my first competiton since December, after a few months of regular competitions.
that I was very glad to compete again!
that I was more happy to meet all the cool people again! :D
I got to stay at Arnaud's house again, which I now own.
He supplied me with toothpaste, food and sleeping bag like he said he would.
that I managed 2/3 goals for the competition (sub-1 single 4x4 and sub-2 avg 5x5, but missed sub-4:30 6x6)
that I'm starting to understand more dutch?
that when I got on the bus back in the UK I was confused when he spoke english to me? (not dutch)
I got so confused, I forgot what station to ask for?
that I might update this later?

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know:
-that that was my first competition :)
-that it was awesome!
-that I got a V-Cube 7 (the original)
-that Pasquale got the fake V7 that Erik mentioned in this thread
-and that it even works better then my original V7 °____°
-that I got my seconds sub20 solve ever on 3x3? (17.84)
-that the scrambler scrambled my cube at my seconds attempt exactly the same and I got another sub 20 (19.xy)
-that I got my first sub5 solve on 5x5. (4:48)
-that I got 2 PLL skips on 2x2 and my new record average (7.65 seconds)
-that I messed up a 4x4 H-Perm, because Erik set the new WR and I had to watch ^^
-that this post mostly starts with 'that I' :D
-that I reached the semi-final with my 3x3 avg of 21.something? :)

Important: XD -that I am very very professional (like Arnaud said), because I was analyzing my 5x5 solve to improve my next attempt (like he said) :) You are so right ^^
-that I never expected to be that good? :)
-that there were many kind people?
-that the food was delicious
-that the puzzle market was awesome?
-that my Megaminx popped while solving it (in competition) and I reassembled it wrongly, so I got a 9:53 xD *distressing* -.-'
-that I recorded recorded 20 videos
-that I couldn't watch to Kai's Mutli-BLD WR, because I was judging? :/
-that I am very, very, very, very, very pleased with this competition?
-that my Hotel (not mine, but that, where I slept) was nice?
-that I wasn't able to eat my cheeseburger at saturday, because the bus was coming?
-that I almost lost my 3x3, but Nora gave it back to me? *thank you so much* :) It's the only good 3x3, I have...
-that I find Mini-Dianshengs AWESOME!! I want one
-that I definitely will get a Meffert's 4x4!
-that my English sucks ^_^
-that I should dress like Rama, I also want so good times ^^
-that I will get sub1:30 solves (4x4) at WC2009 in Düsseldorf
-that I will get sub20 average (3x3) at WC2009!!
-that I will learn all 21 PLLs now!

Thanks for reading :)
Greets,
Cornelius.

Last edited:

Markus Pirzer

Did you know...
(...)
(...)
Have fun,

Ron

Maybe they simply didn't know or forgot to pay. Why wasn't it handled like on Saturday? On Saturday everyone had to pay at the entrance. On Sunday there was nobody on the entrance who asked for the money and everyone was able to come in without paying.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know...
(...)
(...)
Have fun,

Ron

Maybe they simply didn't know or forgot to pay. Why wasn't it handled like on Saturday? On Saturday everyone had to pay at the entrance. On Sunday there was nobody on the entrance who asked for the money and everyone was able to come in without paying.

From
http://www.speedcubing.com/events/gcd2009/
It says:

Entrance fee for German Cube Day 2009 on Saturday is 15 euro per person (10 euro for NKC members). This includes coffee/tea/cake, refreshments and lunch on Saturday.
Entrance fee for the Sunday events is 5 euro per competitor and per guest. This includes lunch and refreshments on Sunday, and is to cover our expenses.

I assume everybody can read and understand this , we can not stand at the door all day as we do the competition

coolmission

WCA
2009SPAN01
Did you know:
-that that was my first competition :)
-that it was awesome!

You lost me there.

@Ron; I am sure the people who did not pay, forgot to do so, just like I did. If you hadn't reminded me I wouldn't have remembered.

I like the idea of giving people the opportunity to use Paypal. I would contact them and tell them there were still some unpaid participation fees.

If they do not respond at all, you can ban them from entering GO 2010.

That's just my opinion.

Markus Pirzer

Did you know...
(...)
(...)
Have fun,

Ron

From
http://www.speedcubing.com/events/gcd2009/
It says:

Entrance fee for German Cube Day 2009 on Saturday is 15 euro per person (10 euro for NKC members). This includes coffee/tea/cake, refreshments and lunch on Saturday.
Entrance fee for the Sunday events is 5 euro per competitor and per guest. This includes lunch and refreshments on Sunday, and is to cover our expenses.

OK, everyone should know this, but there were indeed some people who forgot to pay. I just can't imagine that there was someone who refused to pay after he was asked to do so.

I assume everybody can read and understand this , we can not stand at the door all day as we do the competition

Not the whole day, but I think it should be possible that at least between 9:00 and 9:30 (the time where the schedule says "registration") someone is standing at the entrance and asking for the entrance fee. If you find no other volunteer, I would do that job at the next GO.

Crazycubemom

WCA
2007OEYM01
Did you know :

- Maria and Conor did a Nightmare Team Solve.
- Conor is became Maria's favorite.
- Maria is happy that Hungarians in the Final.

Last edited by a moderator: