• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

German Open 2009 in Gütersloh

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
Hi Ton,
as you know I don't need a full-time judge. Other competitors also can find a similar solution like me, in that case we don't need too many judges.
I like German Open. If we have 4x4 & 5x5 bld, I will come. 100% sure.

I just discussed with Ron and we come to the conclusion that we can not handle parallel events as 4x4 & 5x5 bld, sorry . We have already 68 Competitors and still we get registration

Good news is that we try to do 3 days Czech open, with all events!!!!

Sorry, but I don't understand that. First of all we are talking about Saturday where a lot of the competitors will not be there. Also I thought that the registration will be closed after 70 competitors (as it is written on the website), so why worry about more registrations?
Finally the people who request Big Cubes Blind are a group of very experiences competitors, and as the last posts already show we could even handle the events on our own, so you wouldn't even have to worry about handling these events.
So please think about that again and consider that German Open with missing Blind events seem a little ridiculous when you see that German's best world rankings are exactly in the blind categories.

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
So if someone not competiting or coming with a competitior wants to come, do they just e-mail you for the location?

Do you mean me? I don't know the location either, since the 11th of April is still in the future.

I meant the organizers. It just seems weird. The regulations have:

WCA Regulations said:
8a6) The competition must be accessible for the public.

And the competition website has:

Competition Website said:
German Cube Day 2009 is organised by NKC (Dutch Cube Club, established in the 80s) and only open to registered visitors. Up to two guests per competitor is reasonable. All guests must be registered!

Which seems to conflict a bit.

But this is kind of nice:

Competition website said:
The 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 events MAY BE held, and if so, on Friday night, in an informal location.

It might be a handy way to have a few extra events....but it seems like this could lead to some abuse.

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
@Sébastien
Let us wait how registrations will change in the upcoming week.
Maybe we can have 4x4bf and 5x5bf somewhere in parallel. But in that case I think you will have to skip the parallel event.
Remember how messy those events were in Aachen?

So if someone not competiting or coming with a competitior wants to come, do they just e-mail you for the location?
Yes, they register on the website. All registered competitors and guests wil receive an e-mail with the address details.

>>8a6) The competition must be accessible for the public.
>German Cube Day 2009 is organised by NKC (Dutch Cube Club, established
>in the 80s) and only open to registered visitors. Up to two guests per
>competitor is reasonable. All guests must be registered!
Which seems to conflict a bit.
I think there is no conflict. The only differences with other competitions are 1) that the public must be registered and 2) has to pay the entrance fee.
The first is a requirement of Dutch Cube Club (organiser of German Cube Day) for insurance purposes.
The second I think is reasonable because food and drinks are included (and we do not like to administer who can use what).
As people may remember from previous years: the food/drinks are great and abundant, with lovely service by Brigitte.

>The 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 events MAY BE held, and if so, on Friday night,
>in an informal location.
It might be a handy way to have a few extra events....but it seems like this could lead to some abuse.
Registration for these events was included from the beginning.
The problem is that we have to close the venue at 5pm. So we decided to have these events in the evening.
A big issue for us though is that I am afraid we cannot guarantee the restaurant to be smoke-free.

Have fun,

Ron

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
i have no email till yet for the venue?
E-mail was sent on April 21.
If you haven't received an e-mail then you either gave an incorrect e-mail address (4 people) or your mail server is bouncing my e-mails (6 people).

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A big issue for us though is that I am afraid we cannot guarantee the restaurant to be smoke-free.

Do you have any news on this? I'm actually not really motivated to sit 30 minutes in a smoky restaurant just to solve 3 7x7s.
haha, I will beat Tim (and Stefan) ;)

Seriously, I thought restaurants were supposed to be smoke-free in Germany

KJiptner

WCA
2007JIPT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Do you have any news on this? I'm actually not really motivated to sit 30 minutes in a smoky restaurant just to solve 3 7x7s.

It depends on in which "Bundesland" you are. The federal system allows different states to have different laws considering this issue.

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It depends on in which "Bundesland" you are. The federal system allows different states to have different laws considering this issue.

Also many restaurants don't care about this regulation :(

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Also many restaurants don't care about this regulation :(

They have to. I guess the restaurants you mean found one of many loopholes in the laws (like founding a smoker's club).

Ron

WCA
2003BRUC01
The easiest solution is if someone could call the restaurant and ask if they are smoke-free. Sorry I am too busy to do that. Anyone?

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"I just wanted to know if your restaurant is smoke-free"
"jo... *mumble*"
"uhm, yes?"
"yes and no"
"uhm, so you have a separated smoke room?"
"yes"
"ok, thanks"

most weird phone call i've ever made. This was Bremer Schlüssel btw.

And the way the woman reacted to my question tells me, that they don't really have a separated room. But that's just my feeling, i also could be wrong.

Last edited: