• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Gans 356

Gans 356

• Excellent

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Good

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

transatlantic

ok so i believed the hype and spent the $23 at the cubicle because i thought this cube would be amazing. But, this cube is only worth like $7 in my opinion. I was so dissapointed because it catches A LOT. It was so frustrating because a cube like this should not do that right out of the box. However I did file down and unscrew the corners a bit and it helped, but it didn't help that much. I am so confused about how many people think this cube is amazing and it annoys me because i just don't see it. The only reason i say all of these things is because i have a Hualong and that cube is the best cube i think will ever be made. My recommendation would be to buy two Hualongs for about the same price. The gans356 is much slower, slipperier. and flexes so it is harder to align than the Hualong too. Also, the stickers are not that great, not that it matters, but one sticker started peeling off the same day i got the cube. moyus standard stickers have much better contrast. DONT GET ME WRONG THOUGH, this cube has some positives, it has this smooth buttery feel that is really nice is highly adjustable. its a decent speed cube, but i really think fangshi and moyu make better cubes.

Please let me know your thoughts because i may be wrong on some of these issues. who knows. it may just be a matter of preference

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I have a hualong I got a couple days ago too and I don't understand when people don't like it :p it's an amazing cube! I broke my averages a ton just by using it compared to my Aolong v2, and thats unusual at my times.

TheBrutux168

WCA
2014WONG08
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wipe out all stock lube. But anyway I think its personal preference and how we set up our cubes. My Gans is definitely faster than my Hualong and after unscrewing the corner, barely catches. I did go to a competition and tried 5 other Gans 356, and mine did seem to be significantly faster and significantly less catchy than others

Last edited:

pyr14

WCA
2014SIME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, stop buying new cubes unless yours is trash.

anyway, the gans 356 (well at least the ones i tried) vary. ive tried some and gans 356 felt similar to 357

when my sibling got the cube online, it felt much faster than 357.

honestly, i still prefer my fangshi guangying. all speedcube 3x3s are good tbh.

update: i prefer my 357, it's much more controllable. if i put my 356 on controllable tensions, it tends to have minor lockups and a bit of cathcing.

Last edited:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My thoughts on the Gan 356: At first I really had to get used to the feeling of this cube. I could not get my normal averages with it. But I really enjoyed solving the cube so I stuck with it. I filed down the sharp corners to solve catching issues. After about 300-500 solves my times got better. Now after 2000 solves I broke some PB's including a sub 10 solve (I am an sub 20 average solver). I think this is one of the best performing cubes out there. When correctly lubed (chech CBC' video how to lube the Gan 356) it is super fast. It is very controllable and most and important, I have a very nasty turning style which makes any cube catch except the Gan 356. Most of my LL algs go so smooth with this cube. And the M slices are heavenly.. And yeah, I have two HuaLongs... before I got the Gan356 I felt that was my new main. But now as much as I love the HuaLong, I can NOT get the same times as I do with the Gan 356. So I voted Excellent.

Last edited:

ChaozCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Gans III 56mm

The Gans 356 is a 3x3x3 speed cube that stated being mass-produced in 2015. The 356 in its name means ‘V3 56mm’. The cube itself comes unstickered in a nice clear plastic box with two sets of its stickers, a tensioning tool, and a pamphlet showing how to solve it with full OLL and PLL on one side. The Gans 356 has a silky-smooth feeling and is fast out of the box. After lubricating, it is even faster with an even smoother feeling. The corner cutting on this cube is effortlessly 45o. Normal corner cutting goes almost to one piece. Reverse corner cutting is easily one piece and a little farther with a small amount of effort. The cube looks very nice, with rounded centers and squared off corners. The cube is a bit pricy at $23 from TheCubicle.us, although many people don’t mind this once turning the cube. This is easily better then the MoYu AoLong V1 or V2, the MoYu HuaLong, the Gans 357, any FangShi cube, or any DaYan cube. Or really any other 3x3x3, at least in my opinion. The puzzle does come pre-lubricated, although an easy was to make the cube better turning wise is to clean out every piece, and the core, using a few paper towels. If this cube is too fast for you, lubricate both the pieces and the core with either Weight 4 or Weight 5 silicon lubrication from The Cubicle, but if you want it too be faster and smoother, then try using Weight 3 or below. If you want this cube to be at super-speed for six or seven solves, then put one or two drops or Maru Lubrication in one of the holes between a corner and center piece. This cube is also fairly new, so if you want it but you think that spending $23 on this is just a little too much, then you could wait a few months to see if the price drops, or too see if another 3x3 comes out that may be as good as this, but at a cheaper price. If you do decide to purchase this amazing speed cube, then once you open it, never bring it outside. If you or anybody else accidentally (or purposely) drops this cube into dirt (not mulch), then the dust will get inside of this cube and ruin it. Re-lubricating it after this will just make it worse. Cleaning it out again won’t help either. The only solution to this, unfortunately, is to buy a new one. If you have this 3x3x3 as your main and you want to do some 3x3 solves outside, then use a different cube other than this. It is very high quality, but easy to ruin. Because of the fact that this cube is 56mm, one millimeter smaller than the normal 3x3 on every side, it may feel slightly small in your hands. If your hands are relatively large, then this might not be the cube for you. Most mini cubes like this have normal sized types that have the exact same design and mechanism, but not for this cube. Its slightly larger cousin, the Gans 357, has a completely different design and feeling. The 356 also have added tracks in the edges to reduce friction and lead too much smoother turning. The Gans 356 speed cube puzzle brings something new to 3x3s: springs inside the pieces. Most cubes only have them in the core, but this has them in the pieces, which makes the cube flexible without popping. There is almost no popping on this cube, by the way. The only way to make it pop is to force it to turn when the top side is twisted a little less than 2/3 of the cube, at a very precise angle. Lock ups on this puzzle are extremely scarce. Gans also made it so you can adjust the weight of the cube with washers and springs in the edges and corners, which is also very new to 3x3x3 puzzles. Due to the fact that the corners on this cube are almost completely square, corner twisting is non-existent. The cube comes in a nice plastic display case, which is fun, but the case in the packaging may be a reason why the Gans 356 is so expensive. If it was in a tiny cardboard box, like cubes made by MoYu are, then this cube might be around 16 dollars. I’ll compare it to another very popular cube, the MoYu AoLong V2. For turning, the Gans 356 is smoother and faster, while the AoLong is a little slower but more controllable. The Gans 356 has much better reverse corner cutting, and for both cubes normal corner cutting is about the same. Now I’ll compare it to the QiYi BullFight 3x3x3. The Gans 356 has better corner cutting and reverse corner cutting. The Gans is a little quieter. The BullFight and the Gans both have about the same turning speed. That is about all I can say about the Gans 367 3x3x3 speed cube.

SrujayP

The gans 356 is an amazing cube
Some gans 356 come out of the box catchy and all but mine did not if you put some lube in it and wipe out all the unnesecerry lube and put a little bit of traxxaas it gets really smooth. If you do about 200 solves on the cube and break the cube in it becomes really fast. to remove all the catching then i suggest putting a little lubricant under the little pointy thing in the corners. Now onto the feel it feels like an over modded fanghsi it isfast and has that scratchy feel like the fanghsi. Popping: the cube almost never pops and a good way to put the last peice back in is to slide the little thing that sticks out of the edge into the grooves and it goes in easily if u do that and its the opposite if you want to take the edge out slide the edge through the groves inbetween the peices to get it out. I would really get the cube, i know it is on the expensive side of cubes but if you want a good fast cube i would get the gans 356.

hkpnkp

fiftyniner

Another nice review. I have the gans on the way before I caught this video. It is around USD18 (lightake).

pizzapie1121

Honestly, stop buying new cubes unless yours is trash.

anyway, the gans 356 (well at least the ones i tried) vary. ive tried some and gans 356 felt similar to 357

when my sibling got the cube online, it felt much faster than 357.

honestly, i still prefer my fangshi guangying. all speedcube 3x3s are good tbh.

update: i prefer my 357, it's much more controllable. if i put my 356 on controllable tensions, it tends to have minor lockups and a bit of cathcing.

Does it really matter if other people buy more cubes? If they want to spend the money, then let them do it. No hate, just let them cube

viperzz33

İ heard Gans 356 has same problem as 357 like the share corner gets caught in the middle piece.? How much of a pr9blem is this?

MM99

As soon as I turned my gans I knew it was my new main the thing is God like its as if Zeus crafted it himself. By far the fastest and smoothest cube I've ever handled

hkpnkp

İ heard Gans 356 has same problem as 357 like the share corner gets caught in the middle piece.? How much of a pr9blem is this?

It will get fixed if you do the screw mod discovered by youtuber cubeologist

TCKyewbs

YouTube
Visit Channel
Great review! I think I'm going to get one now - money isn't a problem. Also, do you use cross on left!? It looked super cool!

Hey there! Replying on my new account. Yep! I use cross on left and I'm practicing f2l a bit more now :)

fiftyniner

I have been using Gans 356 for the last few days.

No catching but I still did the corner mod (loosen screws) and loosen the tension on the first day.
It turned really nice but I think, as nice as the factory lube is, it kinda dragged during solves.
Also the cube seemed to "flex" (twist) during solves, especially at looser tension

Today I disassembled it (without taking out the screws) to clean out the last vestige of factory lube.
Also to undo the corner mod (tighten back the screws)

Assembling it back was nearly an impossible task (without unscrewing the centre), but a bit of loosening of the centre screws and a bit of force helped. Without lube, I tensioned it. The twist is gone (due to the corner mod?).
Solved it about 20 times.

Then took out an edge and a corner. Lubed with 30k silicone differential oil. A tiny bit on the surface and stalk of each (none for the spring). Re-assembled and worked it in.

It felt like a different cube! Probably due to the absence of the twist and original lube.

But now much faster with less drag and twisting. The gans has edged out my top cube: hualong...

Downside (not really, as it is up to individual taste)

a. I prefer 57mm
b. Standard, dull stickers (but got used to it)

viperzz33

I've used my friends Gans 356 and 357.
I prefer the 357, it's much faster. 356 was so smooth and quiet though. Smoothest and Quietest cube I've ever tried. But it locks up when I'm solving fast, but offcourse can be modded. This is also the case for the 357. But I really wanted the 357, but I bought a hualong. it hasn't arrived yet, but I like the moyu feel better. I just hate the circled centre, somehow slows down my look ahead from distraction maybe.