• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 Gan Mini M Pro - My Impressions - Must Watch Before Buying

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I have just received the Gan Mini M Pro and I am a little disappointed. It is has the right size, 53mm, for my small hands and it is very light at 55g, which is great for my tired fingers. It is nicely balance in the intensity of the different colours, i.e. nothing too dark (blue) or too light/bright. The white colour is off white and has a very faint reddish tint. It is reasonably quiet, but clearly not the quietest. It feels hollow and it is catchy when new, and even after a couple of hundred solves, still does not feel as smooth and refined as the Tornado V2. It turns well after tightening and lubing, and it's not unlike the Moyu Weilong 2021. However, I am still to see what the core magnets are doing. I am a slow beginner and it would be not just for me to comment any more on performance matters.

Problem 1. Watch this video if you you are not familiar with Gan's new spring adjustment system, first used on this Mini M Pro.

The blue dial consists of a top ring with numbers 1-4 and a base (also blue). The 1 setting means smallest distance or tightest. There is a tiny notch in the base and it is the pointer that those numbers are to be aligned with. When I first tried to adjust the spring distance, I found it very hard to turn the top dial with numbers 1-4 without the base (and that pointer) also turning. So, it was near impossible to change the setting number, or to adjust this spring distance. I tried pushing down with the tool (don't do that!) while turning, hoping the pressure would stop the base turning, while I turn the top dial, but it did not work. What that did, when the pushing pressure stopped, was pop the spring assembly. See photo. And then the top layer pieces fell apart. So, I had to put the whole thing together. Never push down when turning the blue dial.

Pop.jpg
After a lot of trial and error, I eventually learned to put pressure from underneath on that dial to stop the base turning. I did this by sticking my thumb inside the cube, or underneath the top layer and pushing up towards the blue dial. See photo. That works. I can turn the top of the blue dial and set the desired number.

Push up.jpgProblem 2. After setting it to 1 on all sides. I did a solve and found that those settings have changed. Instead of a setting of 1 (as set) on all sides, I found they have changed. I had a setting of 4 on three sides, and 3 on one side. I did some more turning and some of them changed again, and the changes go from a higher number to a lower one before becoming 4 again. There is apparently not enough friction or just poor design to keep the base of the blue thing locked in the same position. The turning of the spring apparently causes it to turn to change the setting. I first heard about this problem, about 5 weeks ago, from multiple testers in China, in their review video. I had thought such glaring problem would be noticed in QA and at least in the early reviewers, those who got the pre-production samples, and therefore should have been fixed. I am not sure whether this problem means the spring distance is actually changed or whether it is just the pointer moving (without actually affecting the spring distance). I suspect it might be the latter. In any case, it is a serious problem, as the 1-4 system as a reference for setting adjustment is not going to work.

I don't know what else to say, except that this is a show stopper. Gan should recall or send replacement parts to fix the problem IMO.

Some more photos. There are many holes in there, probably to reduce weight. This 53mm cube has core magnets and also fancy adjustment systems, unlike the simplistic YJ Zhilong 50mm, but it is lighter at 55g compared to 58g. That is a fantastic achievement, and it is appreciated by my sore fingers.

Holes.jpg
More Holes.jpg

The same blue dial system is used in the Gan 12 (but bigger and more numbers). Let's hope they have done something to fix the problem with that product.

In summary, wait for some more reviews from real users/buyers before buying, unless you enjoy tweaking, DIY and modding things.

UPDATE - October 16, 2021

There seems to be a replacement part now available from Gan to fix the problem, according to a video I have seen. See my new post about this below.

Last edited:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
More impressions and Update. The cube turns very well after a few days, but I really can't feel anything that special compared with the Weilong 2021 or the Moyu AI Cube. The spring distance setting is still skipping. However, it seems to be just the numbers changing. Just my guess. The cube still feels the same. It may be possible that the spring distance setting is kept, although the number indicating the distance keeps changing. I would like to hear other owners' comments, but there does not seem to be anything online.

I do feel that it is easy to control when turning fast. Whether that is due to its smaller size and lighter weight, or whether it's the core magnets, or both, I don't really know. I suspect it is both. I do not think there is any significant improvement however, compared to the Moyu Weilong 2021 and the Moyu AI Cube, which are both excellent. I notice that the 50mm Zhilong is also very easy to control, even though it only has a very simple screw for spring distance adjustment, and no magnet adjustments at all. 😕

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Have you tried the Guhong v3?
I wanted to try it as the size should be good. I was able to find a black one, and I ordered one from ZiiCube mid September, but according to the tracking information, it is in Guanzhou, China, "Cleared and awaiting international departure". :rolleyes: It is still stuck there at this time, after more than 3 weeks. This may be due to the power outage over there.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I wanted to try it as the size should be good. I was able to find a black one, and I ordered one from ZiiCube mid September, but according to the tracking information, it is in Guanzhou, China, "Cleared and awaiting international departure". :rolleyes: It is still stuck there at this time, after more than 3 weeks. This may be due to the power outage over there.
The tracking information for Chinese stores is not reliable. I suggest buying from domestic stores unless you are fine with waiting a month or two.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I found another issue, a minor concern, with this cube. See photos. This part of the corner piece can separate easily if your nail got stuck in that gap and catch the sharp corner. This seldom happens, and I think it only happened today because I haven't cut my nails and they are getting long. I was doing an M' with my ring finger and the nail got into that gap and separated that top plate. Make sure you cut your nail very short, so as to avoid that pointed piece of plastic. It did not actually hurt, but I was surprised later how easily that top plate can separate, when I pry that corner with my nail. For girls with longer nails, this may be a concern.

Mini photo 1.jpg

Mini photo 2.jpg

doozza

it only happened today because I haven't cut my nails and they are getting long

With GAN, you don't just buy a premium product. You buy a ticket into the world of premium manicure, premium lube, and premium stands.
Jokes aside though, I was planning to get the mini m pro myself, but it looks less and less appealing with each post on this thread =( Strange, none of the video reviews ever mentioned the tension skipping issues, at least the ones I've seen. And this cube has very little coverage in general, as if it was overshadowed by the 12 Maglev hype.

CubeRed

I was doing an M' with my ring finger and the nail got into that gap and separated that top plate. Make sure you cut your nail very short, so as to avoid that pointed piece of plastic. It did not actually hurt, but I was surprised later how easily that top plate can separate, when I pry that corner with my nail. For girls with longer nails, this may be a concern.
Wow. Size reduction really can have problems. This issue could really damage your cube (and your fingers) if it's not fixed, especially if you are spamming algs for speed.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Wow. Size reduction really can have problems. This issue could really damage your cube (and your fingers) if it's not fixed, especially if you are spamming algs for speed.

I suspect it might have to do with some compromises in quality to achieve the amazing weight of 55g and with all those advanced features in such a small cube. I think I will get some strong plastic glue/bond to make sure it never happens again. That might also help to make it a little quieter. And once I think I have found the perfect spring settings, I will use Loctite to lock down the base of the light blue ring, so that it won't turn when I turn the top ring (the one with the numbers).

YouTube
Visit Channel
I found another issue, a minor concern, with this cube. See photos. This part of the corner piece can separate easily if your nail got stuck in that gap and catch the sharp corner. This seldom happens, and I think it only happened today because I haven't cut my nails and they are getting long. I was doing an M' with my ring finger and the nail got into that gap and separated that top plate. Make sure you cut your nail very short, so as to avoid that pointed piece of plastic. It did not actually hurt, but I was surprised later how easily that top plate can separate, when I pry that corner with my nail. For girls with longer nails, this may be a concern.

View attachment 17332

View attachment 17333
As a girl with longer nails, I appreciate this warning!

I can see this being particularly problematic since the smaller size of the cube will make it appeal more to women, who are more likely to have longer nails.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Typically cubes are made from various types of ABS plastics.

Thanks. I think something that is easy to use without making a mess is required. I hope this is it.

As a girl with longer nails, I appreciate this warning!

I can see this being particularly problematic since the smaller size of the cube will make it appeal more to women, who are more likely to have longer nails.

As an old guy with thick nails, I was more concerned with breaking an expensive cube. 😲

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks. I think something that is easy to use without making a mess is required. I hope this is it.

I have used superglue and it works fine on plastic. Just be careful there is no extra residue that could get caught on something.
But I have no idea how you managed to catch your nail on that corner though because usually your fingers should not be around there I presume.

YouTube
Visit Channel

From what I've seen of cube moding videos, super glue is commonly used. Just make sure that you squeeze it out onto a surface then use something like a needle to apply it... Don't squeeze it directly onto the cube, that way lays sadness