• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Gan 12

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I put in a pre-order for themaglevedition today (Ouch on the wallet for sure). I'll be sure to test it out and see how Gans implementation compares. I'd also be glad to compare it to other cubes people are interested in seeing compared.
I look forward to your review, especially because when Black Friday comes around, I will most likely buy my first Gan cube (if my progression justifies an upgrade).

Kaiju_cube

I'm sure I'll buy it but I want it on sale. $80.+ (if including tax) just seems nuts to me for a 3x3.

I've paid like $65. for a Gan cube but $80. just seems like way too much for a 3x3 cube.

I know I've seen people online going, "But Maglev!" ... and....yeah.. no,... Moyu is selling a Maglev cube for $13. I don't believe it needs to cost anywhere near $80. Magnets are not expensive luxury items.

imo Gan is really pushing the prices up consistently because they're hunting for the breaking point. They'll charge $100. if they think people will pay it. The only way Gan will lower prices is if people stop buying them. If everyone pays $80. for a cube the next cube will be $85.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure I'll buy it but I want it on sale. $80.+ (if including tax) just seems nuts to me for a 3x3.

I've paid like $65. for a Gan cube but $80. just seems like way too much for a 3x3 cube.

I know I've seen people online going, "But Maglev!" ... and....yeah.. no,... Moyu is selling a Maglev cube for $13. I don't believe it needs to cost anywhere near $80. Magnets are not expensive luxury items.

imo Gan is really pushing the prices up consistently because they're hunting for the breaking point. They'll charge $100. if they think people will pay it. The only way Gan will lower prices is if people stop buying them. If everyone pays $80. for a cube the next cube will be $85.
I agree. People give Gan a lot of hate for their high prices, and praise other companies for releasing much cheaper puzzles with increasing amounts of extra features. They seem to forget that those companies aren't pricing lower because they want to be nice, but because they can't charge the exorbitant prices Gan does. Part of that though is of course reaching more market segments, but it's also still a relevant reason. Every other cube company would love to be in Gan's spot and would charge higher prices if they knew that they could.

SlowerCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried some solves from my cubing friend's 12 (maglev version). It's disappointing.

During a move, the feel is light at the start but some strange friction quickly kicks in (like rubbing glass or something). So you feel light and stuck and the same time. The problem is the cube has been broken in around 300 solves least, with different kinds of lubing setup (including no-lubing)

I don't know if this is due to improper setup or just a single case with production flaws, but I don't want to gamble and will just wait a bit before more people have tested and shared their thoughts -- especially not from those fast cubers since they can solve fast with ANY cube.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried some solves from my cubing friend's 12 (maglev version). It's disappointing.

During a move, the feel is light at the start but some strange friction quickly kicks in (like rubbing glass or something). So you feel light and stuck and the same time. The problem is the cube has been broken in around 300 solves least, with different kinds of lubing setup (including no-lubing)

I don't know if this is due to improper setup or just a single case with production flaws, but I don't want to gamble and will just wait a bit before more people have tested and shared their thoughts -- especially not from those fast cubers since they can solve fast with ANY cube.
Certainly not taking the plunge personally for such an expensive cube before reviews lol.
The tengyun v2 I bought was definitely overhyped, though it was still decent

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I’ve only seen a couple of Gan 12 reviews so far if its not too much trouble could you put up some links to the reviews you have seen about the turning etc.
You can find more reviews if you search in Asian sites, esp Chinese ones. There are at least 3 dozen reviews, not open box video, if you search with "Gan 12" on bilibili.com. You may have to use VPN if you are in US. They are however in Chinese. Doesn't everyone understand Chinese? ;)

Here's a Youtube one in English about that feeling starting from about 7:04 into the video.

It seems to be something you have to get used to, the new feeling of auto-alignment when the layer being turned just springs to the next position.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
It seems to be something you have to get used to, the new feeling of auto-alignment when the layer being turned just springs to the next position.

Imo that's a huge turn off. I like to be control of every turn and having the cube do it for doesn't sound very appealing.

Kaiju_cube

The WRM 2021 turned out to be really good (it was a sleeper), I expect the maglev version will be good too.

I've spent more than $30. on a 3x3 but more and more I think that's the ceiling. You can get fantastic cubes for $30. or less. So if you pay more than that it's because you want to, ... and it'll be a Gan. Lol

DavyP

Postman came today and delivered the Gan12 maglev and and Gan 12 M leap plus a bright orange bag of goodies, no idea what’s in it but that was my parcel. I’ve had a few beverages that could cloud my judgement but I’ll give my view on the goodies tomorrow. It’s going to have to be good to beat the feel of my Gan 11 soft feel. Anyway it cost me a few dollars/pounds/euros so they bettter be good 😄

Last edited: