• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GAN 12 Maglev First Impressions

doozza

Thanks for the honest opinion! Takes some integrity to not praise a sponsored product and provide critique. Such reviews might actually hold off the hype and make a lot of people reconsider buying a flagship just because of a brand.
Am I correct that 12 Maglev is a regression from 11 M Pro in terms of corner cutting, turn feel and stability (in relation to your turning style)?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Reposting my comment because I think it could generate some interesting discussion:

I'm glad you're honest with the cube. The new releases with maglev stuff and "leap homing technology" don't seem exciting to me. I think the cube flexing may be due to how the maglev is designed. I think since magnet force decreases as a power law, a centers will have much less inward force until the maglev system is quite compressed.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I haven't used a Maglev cube yet, but I have always had my doubts about the actual improvement and potential loss of control in turning. I understand the magnet force reasoning. I am still of the opinion that that dual system of magnet and spring should provide the best solution of reducing the mechanical or surface friction while preserving a more linear tension systems, if properly designed. I think having a weaker spring behind the maglev magnets would help. So should adjusting or playing with the travel distance of the combined magnet-spring tensioning system.

TNL Cubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the honest opinion! Takes some integrity to not praise a sponsored product and provide critique. Such reviews might actually hold off the hype and make a lot of people reconsider buying a flagship just because of a brand.
Am I correct that 12 Maglev is a regression from 11 M Pro in terms of corner cutting, turn feel and stability (in relation to your turning style)?

No worries. Yeah i've tried about 10 different arrangements and the corner cutting and stability are significantly worse. I do like the feel of the turn though, it's not too different from the GAN 11 after lubricating.

TNL Cubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
No worries. Yeah i've tried about 10 different arrangements and the corner cutting and stability are significantly worse. I do like the feel of the turn though, it's not too different from the GAN 11 after lubricating.

Just an update if any of you are curious. I set the magnets to the highest, loosened it slightly and have been regularly relubing it so it doesn't get too fast. This has improved it a lot, and I'm getting my average times on it, though its still less reliable than the 11 and a bit worse performing.