• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Full PLL is killing me!

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
the algorithms don't seem too tough.... i just don't get how to recognize which one to use without having to look at the pattern online... which then gives me the algorithm so i'm more reading it than memorizing it. what is the best way to learn full PLL? is there some recognition trick i dont know?

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just do the algorithm about 10 times. Then try it without looking at the sheet. Then try it without looking at at the cube. This should work. If it doesn't, just repeat the process.

For most people, the best way to learn full PLL, or a set of algorithms in general, is to learn 1 or 2 a day.

Last edited:

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
i actually am having an easier time with a lot of the OLL cases than PLL, because i can memorize easily... my recognition of colors and where they need to move could be better.... but yes those 57 algs are definately scary.

where should my averages be at with a 3 look LL before attempting full OLL? i average around 40-45 seconds with a 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL right now

Asheboy

I didn't remember the actually sequence. I remembered what the cube looked like when performing it. If you get what I mean? Like, 3 moves through the cube looks like this, 5 moves like this...but this will only come with practise.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Recognition is quite easy if its broken down into patterns of blocks and headlights. For example:

If you see a complete bar on one side then look at the opposite side:
* If there's headlights on the opposite side then its U perm
* If there's a 1x2 block on the opposite side then its J perm
* Otherwise its F perm

If you see a 2x2 block:
* If you also see headlights its A perm
* Otherwise its V perm

If you see a 1x2 block on any side, with headlights on another side:
* If the headlights are not part of the 1x2 block its G perm
* Otherwise R perm

If you see a 1x2 block on all four sides its an N perm

If you see only two 1x2 blocks on opposite sides then its a T perm

If you see only two 1x2 blocks on adjacent sides then its Y perm

If you see no blocks at all
* If you see headlights on all four sides its H perm or Z perm
* Otherwise its E perm

... that should hopefully give you a basic idea. Distinguishing between each of the rest is just a case of looking at how the blocks, headlights and similar colours are positioned relative to each other.

curious

Don't rush them if your having trouble, learn the basic ones first.
here's how I approached it.
step 1. master the corners only.
step 2. master the edges only.
step 3. master swapping 2 ajacent corners & 2 edges.
step 4. master cycling 3 corners & 3 edges.
step 5. master the permutations of 2 diagonal corners and 2 edges.
I suggest you go to Bob Burtons rubik's cube page and he explains how he reconizes the pattern.
forgot what the site is called, just google Bob Burtons rubik's cube page.
hope that helped.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Give yourself 3 weeks, on holiday is a good time, and learn one algorithm a day. Being on holiday you can easily cube all the time so time shouldn't be a problem.

When I was learning, I repeated the algorithm over and over until I could do it with my eyes closed. Then I would do random solves with my algorithm sheet infront of me, and if I came across the particular algorithm for that day I would close my eyes and try and execute it. I recommend that, if you actually can't remember it at all, just look at the sheet. You're not cheating, just learning and not getting into bad habits or muscle-memorizing an incorrect move.

For recognition, all PLLs (other than the U-perms, A-perms and G-perms) will generate themselves if done on an already solved cube. This way you can learn what they look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

josmil1

Yea Full PLL is easy. I'm in the process of learning full PLL i use to know 7/21 and now i know 16/21 i just looked for patterns when performing the algorithm and that way it makes it easier to know wat you're doing instead of learning it by algorithms. Watch that video that was posted earlier it really helps.

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's more about how they feel when you do them, or at least for me it was. Just repeat the alg 10-20 times slowly managing to do it without the sheet.
go crazy with that alg all day, then the next day revise what you learnt the day before and learn a new one.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
all PLLs (other than the U-perms, A-perms and G-perms) will generate themselves if done on an already solved cube. This way you can learn what they look like.

Just a quick side note. Some PLLs you have to do twice to get to the case you want.

Yeah. Ua, Ub, Aa and Ab perms all need 2 reps to get the case. If you do a G-perm, on the other hand, it will bring up the inverted case.

G1>G3
G3>G1
G2>G4
G4>G2

Jake Gouldon

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't bother getting full PLL until you are sub-30, then go for full-PLL, wait for sub-25, then full OLL.

I waited a bit longer on OLL, but this is my recomendation.

WCA
2009ROAC01
Don't bother getting full PLL until you are sub-30, then go for full-PLL, wait for sub-25, then full OLL.

I waited a bit longer on OLL, but this is my recomendation.
Idk, it really depends. I learned full PLL to push me under 30 and right now I am at 24 with 3LLL, though my F2L average is around 13s and my LL is around 10-12.....I think you should become fast with the algorithms you know instead of learning new ones.

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
awesome, thanks for a lot of the great tips. I am guessing that my f2l is very poor.. but from what i've read up on it it takes a lot of time to truely master. i purchased Dan Harris' "Speedsolving the Cube" and i'm practicing out of that, as well as watching Badmephisto's videos.

i think it takes me about..... 30 seconds to perform f2l... so i know i need more practice. but i figured if its going to take me a long time to get truely good at f2l, i might as well learn PLL, because i don't mind memorizing all that difficult.

now that i know to learn them and then work on recognizing them, i think i'm getting better... i'm at 9/21 at the moment.