• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Before asking a question, please scroll through the list below to see if your question has already been asked. If you find it, just click the link and you will automaticaly be taken to that reply.

Getting StartedSpeedcubingBlindfolded SolvingCompetitions and Events

Scott

Section: Getting Started
Article: Where can I buy a puzzle?

You can buy puzzles at many toy or hobby shops. But you can also buy them online. There are many good websites out there that can sell all sorts of puzzles. Everything from the classic Rubik's Cube, to the the intimidating Dogic collection.

Here are 3 very good websites for buying such puzzles.
Rubik's
Meffert's
eBay

And if you are looking for a specific puzzle, our "Where to Buy" thread may be able to help. You can find that thread here.

Scott

Section: Getting Started
Article: Where can I learn to solve my puzzles?

There are many solutions online that can completely show you how to solve your puzzle. I do not recommend bothering with the little "hint booklet" that comes with some puzzles, because most of them really dont help at all. Jaap's Puzzle Page, is the puzzle solution page. You may find that page here.

Also, we provide a solution directory for the basic puzzles (3x3 & 2x2, although we may add more). You may find that page here.

Scott

Section: Speedcubing
Article: How do I make my puzzle turn faster?

The best way to make your puzzle turn faster is to lubricate it.

Originally posted by Chris Hardwick+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chris Hardwick)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Lubricating your cube helps to not only reduce the risk of injury to your fingers and wrists but it also lets you do moves on the cube really fast. With a lubricated cube you can achieve move rates of 3 and 4 moves per second by just turning the faces and for sustained lenghts. Not to mention you can do finger shortcuts with surprising speed, 10 moves/sec or faster! If you are interested in speed solving lubricating your cube makes all the difference. Here is how to do it,

Use a silicon based spray or gel, I used a car wax that was silicon based but you can use pretty much anything that is silicon based. Disassemble your cube completely, so that every piece is laid out in front of you. You can disassemble your cube by turning one slice 1/8 turn, until the four corners are sticking out the sides and pry up one of the middle edge pieces. After the first edge piece is out the rest come very easily. Get a paper towel or washcloth that you don't use anymore and lay the pieces out on that. Apply the silicon based spray/gel or whatever you have to the inner parts of each piece. Once you've finished with a piece set it down on the sticker and continue with the next piece. Make sure also to lubricate the sides of the centers on the main mechanism. Once you're finished lubricating each piece leave them out to dry for about 10 minutes. Once they've dried put the cube back together (make sure it is solveable) and turn the slices a little bit. You will be amazed by the difference!

It takes a while to get used to using a lubricated cube if your cube was originally stiff but keep with it. You should also notice an immediate improvement in your times.[/b]

Sub-question:
<!--QuoteBegin-Kal El

Petroleum Distillates are no good. Stay away from that lube.

Prestone Silicone Spray is also a very excellent lube. If you can find it that is. It used to be available at Walmart, but I can't find it at any of them in my city. I have tried a couple of Silicone Sprays from Ace Hardware, and both were bad. After it is sprayed on the cube, It turns into this white filmy stuff. Anyone ever have this happen?
[/quote]

It all depends on what type of lube you are using. If it is a drip silicone, then then layer will be a thicker, more film-like surface. You should use this lube on puzzles that you do not want to risk opening. On most spray lubes, they will turn into a clear wet-looking layer. Also, make sure to whipe all dust or grime from the surface you are about to spray.

Also buying DIY puzzles that have adjustable screws is also a big help.

Scott

Article: Are there any faster methods?

There is always a faster method. The key is algorithms. The more algorithms, and the more practicality of the method, the faster it will be.

For example, a 3x3x3 speedcuber's progress might be
1) Beginner Solution
2) Fridrich Method
3) ZB F2L
4) ZB F2L + ZB LL

The key is just to find a good method, and devote maybe 20 minutes a day to learning it. The best site to find information on methods is the Speedcubing website.

pjgat09

Section: Blindfolded Solving
Article: How hard is blindfolded solving?

Blindfold cubing takes a little more practice than speed solving, but with practice it is not very difficult. It is more of an excercise for the brain. You have to practice memorizing objects, numbers, or letters (or something else). However, the execution of the solve is not much harder than normal solving, except you have to think a littl harder.

I suggest you get comfortable with speedsolving before you try blindfold solving, but I also believe that anyone can learn to blindfold solve.

Scott

Section: Competitions and Events
Article: Where can I see upcomming competitions or events?

A full list of competitions and events can be found on the speedcubing website.

The speedcubing website is located here.
The list of competitions and events can be found here.

Scott

Article: What are finger tricks?

"Finger tricks" is when you use your fingers to turn the puzzle at incredibly fast speeds. Most beginners use their entire hands to turn the puzzles, but once you get better, and looser puzzles you will see that your fingers can turn the puzzles much faster. Were talkin north of 6 moves per second.

Rubiks.dk has a good tutorial for PLL algorithms with awesome finger tricks.

Joel also wrote a good page about finger tricks. You can find that page here.

pjgat09

Section: Blindfolded Solving
Article: Can I use my current method for blind solving?

Yes, it is possible to use your speedcubing method but it is very difficult. You will have to memorize the moves to solve with. And don't forget, you can't move any sides of the cube while memorizing, so you have to figure out the effects of your turns later without doing them first. This can get very difficult, but feel free to try it if you like.

There are methods specifically for blindfold solving, which can be found here: http://s12.invisionfree.com/rubiks/index.php?showtopic=71

Scott

Scott

Article: Who is the fastest speedcuber in the world?

Well, this isn't easily answered. With lucky solves factoring in, and most times being unofficial it is very difficult to say for sure.

Some of the fastest include (This is in no order)
Ron van Bruchem
Jean Pons
Tyson Mao
Jo?l van Noort
Leyan Lo
Shoroto Makisumi
Chris Hardwick
Lars Vandenbergh
Dan Harris
Jess Blond

To see the current records, please visit this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.