• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Forum Upgraded

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a way to dislike stupid posts like this? Seriously, this question has been asked way too many times already, despite PJK CLEARLY STATING in the OP that it's coming soon, and once again PATIENTLY replying to someone else asking the exact same question. If we're going to "like" things, can we please, please dislike things too? It is a feature I would heavily abuse, and would prevent my having to type out my thoughts in posts like this.

While I agree with you in some ways, it creates issues like what happen on YouTube. It probably wouldn't be such a big issue on a forum though.

I

IAmEpic2004

I noticed that at the top left corner of posts, you can see "33 minutes ago" Or maybe, "January 2nd" but without the year. I think this should be fixed to prevent unnecessary bumps.
But otherwise, It looks great (IMO), but I need time to adjust :p
EDIT: Oh, fixed? or it was never wrong in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
While I agree with you in some ways, it creates issues like what happen on YouTube. It probably wouldn't be such a big issue on a forum though.
Do dislikes on Youtube comments even work these days? I swear hitting the dislike button on comments is just a placebo non-feature that does nothing to the like count.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
This shouldn't happen. Clear your browser cookies and cache, restart your browser, and this issue should go away (assuming your browser is storing cookies). Let me know if this issue keeps happening.
Looks like this works, thank you!

Do dislikes on Youtube comments even work these days? I swear hitting the dislike button on comments is just a placebo non-feature that does nothing to the like count.
Yeah, I don't think it has any effects in the comment section. It's not like they try to hide it either, the count just doesn't change.

SirWaffle

SHJ
WCA
2013WEAV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have to say i am not a fan of these changes. at first when changes were made i was fine with it because /old was an option, it made just browsing the forums for fun nice. Now it feels a bit more like a chore trying to look at new topics when before i could click over whenever and find new topics or replies. Cant tell you how many times in the past day I've clicked over to /old just to find the new page and not click onto any topic. :/ Oh well. That is just my opinion. Guess i wont be around on the forums as much anymore.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have to say i am not a fan of these changes. at first when changes were made i was fine with it because /old was an option, it made just browsing the forums for fun nice. Now it feels a bit more like a chore trying to look at new topics when before i could click over whenever and find new topics or replies. Cant tell you how many times in the past day I've clicked over to /old just to find the new page and not click onto any topic. :/ Oh well. That is just my opinion. Guess i wont be around on the forums as much anymore.

kbye

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'm not a fan of having icons on threads. Most of the icons are irrelavent form what is being discussed.
Are you referring to the avatars to the left of the thread titles?

Thanks! What happened to the table?
As stated, I've updated the table tag and linked you to the help section. You'll need to modify your post.

I would definitely love to get rid of the sidebar like I could on the old forum. I feel like it takes too many scrolls on my scroll wheel to get to the bottom now. I also feel like the text could all be maybe 25% smaller. It's all too big with too many gaps, in my opinion.
In the top right there is now a circle with an arrow, click that and it will close the sidebar.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8c5hlpa60g1yu5/Screenshot 2016-04-10 11.36.44.png?dl=0

If you look at the date, there are 3 lines next to it like the Chinese character for 3. Click on it and it will give you a lot of options
Correct, click on the 3 lines menu icon and you should be able to edit. If you don't see it, let me know. It looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r96shp6sxnonq0i/Screenshot 2016-04-10 11.39.50.png?dl=0

Will the double click to make forums read implemented?
I'll note it for the future, but unless many others suggest it to, it likely won't be implemented. Note you can click Mark Forums as Read in the top left of the forum.

Update: not only can I not edit my posts, I can't edit my signature either. Definitely something screwed up with my profile.
Got your PM and will communicate with you there. This should be solved.

I noticed that at the top left corner of posts, you can see "33 minutes ago" Or maybe, "January 2nd" but without the year. I think this should be fixed to prevent unnecessary bumps.
But otherwise, It looks great (IMO), but I need time to adjust :p
EDIT: Oh, fixed? or it was never wrong in the first place.
It puts the year on older posts. Let me know if you notice anything like this again.

What do you mean? The new page linked to in the first post serves the exact same purpose as the /old index, but is much easier to use. How is it more of a chore than using /old? Let me know what changes you recommend.

Felipe Rigon

WCA
2015RIGO01
I'll note it for the future, but unless many others suggest it to, it likely won't be implemented. Note you can click Mark Forums as Read in the top left of the forum.

It was such a nice feature! It was easier to see the new posts without the ones that I do not care about.
I know that I can mark forums read in the top left, but I have to enter the specific forum I want to mark read or make all the forums read at once.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be really glad if this feature come back.

About the upgrade: this is my only issue. I did not like the new look at first, but that's because I was used to the previous one.
Keep up the good work!

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
I cannot edit nor delete my previous posts, because I don't see any buttons for it.
I have removed all cookies from speedsolving but that does not alter anything.
A reference above to a button with a sign for Chinese 3 (is that three bars?) I don't
get and I don't see any button like that (apart from the browsers).

I must be missing something, I think I have pushed every button available??

Edit: Now it works, don't know why??? (Or thanks PJK ;))

Last edited:
I

IAmEpic2004

For me it's at the bottom of the post, right under my signature to the right of "SoAndSo, Today at xx:xxPM"

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I cannot edit nor delete my previous posts, because I don't see any buttons for it.
I have removed all cookies from speedsolving but that does not alter anything.
A reference above to a button with a sign for Chinese 3 (is that three bars?) I don't
get and I don't see any button like that (apart from the browsers).

Edit: Now it works, don't know why??? (Or thanks PJK ;))
I've been making some changes. Let me know if you have issues in the future.

It seems that tables don't display properly in this new format.
I've just enabled table tags, but you'll need to do a bit of modifying as they don't accept parameters. Please see the table tag on this page for more info:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/help/bb-codes

Ya that's much better, thanks! The only issue is it seems to revert back every time I close my browser (Chrome).
It doesn't for me. It is stored in your cookies. Clear cache and cookies, and restart your browser.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
See the first post, I've added the math tags (or see bbCode help). \( Check it out! \)

\( \text{PJK}\left( \text{awesome} \right)=\text{True} \)

Thanks!

I do want to mention that the old forum's LaTeX also worked within code block tags. See this post. (Look in the spoiler "How I found that formula?".) This is a screenshot of what it looked like before.

However, if you cannot replicate that feature, I really do appreciate your time regardless!

Thanks again!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
\( \text{PJK}\left( \text{awesome} \right)=\text{True} \)

Thanks!

I do want to mention that the old forum's LaTeX also worked within code block tags. See this post. (Look in the spoiler "How I found that formula?".) This is a screenshot of what it looked like before.

However, if you cannot replicate that feature, I really do appreciate your time regardless!

Thanks again!
No problem. Instead of using the code tags, use spoilers. Let me know of any other issues you have.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since we're now using likes and this software, have you thought about implementing diverse ratings like here (example screenshot of a post another forum using this software):

ratings.png

It sounds kinda pointless, but from what I've seen of other forums with this kind of rating system is that it cuts down on junk posts like people who quote posts just to say "this ^" or "lol" or any other kind of thing that can just be summed up by a simple rating. Just an idea.

I really like this idea. For this forum, I think the following would be really helpful: thanks, agree, congratulate. A lot of one-liner posts/quotes can be attributed to one of those three and it would clean things up to be able to thank, agree or congratulate with just one click. Sometimes "liking" just doesn't convey enough.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't for me. It is stored in your cookies. Clear cache and cookies, and restart your browser.

Hmm tried that, didn't work. What are the exact steps you'd recommend? What I did just now:
  1. Clear cache/cookies
  2. Restart browser
  3. Straight to SS
  4. Hit the arrow
  5. Log in
  6. Close browser
  7. Open browser
  8. Straight to SS
Side menu back open again. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.