• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Forum Upgraded

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh hey, I've been on forums using XenForo before, good choice. I'm gonna have to get used to the SpeedSolving.com logo no longer linking me to the forum home, though.

Since we're now using likes and this software, have you thought about implementing diverse ratings like here (example screenshot of a post another forum using this software):

ratings.png

It sounds kinda pointless, but from what I've seen of other forums with this kind of rating system is that it cuts down on junk posts like people who quote posts just to say "this ^" or "lol" or any other kind of thing that can just be summed up by a simple rating. Just an idea.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have to log in a lot, even when ticking the box to keep me logged in. When I close SS and come back a few hours later I've been logged out again, whereas before I never had to log in.

it cuts down on junk posts like people who quote posts just to say "this ^" or "lol" or any other kind of thing that can just be summed up by a simple rating.
Do these happen very often though? I don't notice them happening that much at all.

Forcefulness

YouTube
Visit Channel
not a fan tbh, it looks more "modern" but it also looks really mashed together, overly compressed. This is also harder to navigate imo. I also miss the sidebar that had all the forums listed so you could click it from the home page, and the new homepage is a complete mess tbh, but I guess it can't be helped, it is your site.

Last edited:

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Again
not a fan tbh, it looks more "modern" but it also looks really mashed together, overly compressed. This is also harder to navigate imo. I also miss the sidebar that had all the forums listed so you could click it from the home page, and the new homepage is a complete mess tbh, but I guess it can't be helped, it is your site.

It's to be expected that there will be some features absent/not yet implemented, but there are plenty of other good features. That's not to say criticism shouldn't happen, I gave my own, but the forum was desperately in need of a overhaul. Hopefully there will be a way to add back some of the good features that were lost, but I personally think the good outweigh the bad.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes! Recent posts page!

Really wishing clicking the link on the thread on recent posts would take you to the last unread post.

At the top and bottom next to the pagination buttons, there's a button called "Go to First Unread" It seems to be a bit screwy with the threads you'd already read before the update, but that should fix itself.

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Will Tapatalk still work? Pretty much the only way I view the forum

I got an app called Forum Talker on Android that will connect, but does not look great.

There is one called Forum Runner for $1.99, but I do not know if the plugin is installed. Oh, I think I'll just throw out the 2 bucks and find out...

Edit - Tried Forum Runner, could not connect, so got a refund.

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The links in CODE section aren't displayed as needed anymore. But I will take care of it.
The main problem is this: I need more chars for 6+BLD rating first post.

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/6x6-blindfolded-rankings-thread.41968/#post852524
I've boosted the character limit to 25,000, let me know if you need more.

If I click on my name in the top right corner twice (first time brings up the mini menu, then click again) I get an error saying I don't have permission to view the page.
This was a permissions issue. I've fixed it, please let me know if you still have issues.

Would there be a way to have WCA profiles and YouTube channels linked around people's avatar as before? It helps a lot in knowing who you're actually talking to.
Yes, this will be added soon.

Wow! Looks good, and really fits with the theme of the rest of the site. I personally liked how the old forum spanned more of the page, but I can get used to this pretty easy. I do have one huge complaint though. Doesn't have an equivalent of the index.php page, where it lists all the new posts. That's pretty much the only way I have used the forum in the past.
I can adjust this or add another theme which spans 100% if enough people want it. Regarding index.php with all the new posts, this page functions the exact same (shows all the latest posts, read or unread):
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/find-new/posts?recent=1

And also it looks like all the profile pictures are blurry.
Users can update them as they wish.

I have to log in a lot, even when ticking the box to keep me logged in. When I close SS and come back a few hours later I've been logged out again, whereas before I never had to log in.
Do these happen very often though? I don't notice them happening that much at all.
This shouldn't happen. Clear your browser cookies and cache, restart your browser, and this issue should go away (assuming your browser is storing cookies). Let me know if this issue keeps happening.

I'm having trouble marking forums read. It was easier and more convenient before.
What issue exactly are you having?

Are you referring to the forum home being overly compressed or speedsolving.com?

Will Tapatalk still work? Pretty much the only way I view the forum
I will add Tapatalk functionality soon so that option is available. One thing to note about this upgrade is the mobile experience is much better. Try to browse the forum now on mobile without Tapatalk and let me know any feedback you have.

Looks nice and definitely a lot faster. But I've noticed these links here:

do not work.

Will this include links to specific posts, as well as just threads? I've tinyurl'ed my PB post, so I don't know if I'll have to make a new one or not.
EDIT: looks like some BB tags (e.g.
, [post]) don't work any more. :(

Regarding the table tags, I've just enabled table tags, but you'll need to do a bit of modifying as they don't accept parameters. Please see the table tag on this page for more info:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/help/bb-codes

Oh hey, I've been on forums using XenForo before, good choice. I'm gonna have to get used to the SpeedSolving.com logo no longer linking me to the forum home, though.

Since we're now using likes and this software, have you thought about implementing diverse ratings like here (example screenshot of a post another forum using this software):

It sounds kinda pointless, but from what I've seen of other forums with this kind of rating system is that it cuts down on junk posts like people who quote posts just to say "this ^" or "lol" or any other kind of thing that can just be summed up by a simple rating. Just an idea.
I've made the logo now link to the forum home. As for your suggestion about diverse ratings, I've noted it and will consider adding it in the future with the rest of the moderating team. For now I think we should keep it as simple as possible until people get used to the current setup.

Hopefully there will be a way to add back some of the good features that were lost, but I personally think the good outweigh the bad.
Let me know of any features that were lost and I will implement them. I've tried my best to keep all the older features that were used still active.

Really wishing clicking the link on the thread on recent posts would take you to the last unread post.
Working on this.

Does LaTeX have different tags than before? \( \frac{1}{2} \)
No, it will be the same tag. Expect this to be implemented soon.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I got an app called Forum Talker on Android that will connect, but does not look great.

There is one called Forum Runner for $1.99, but I do not know if the plugin is installed. Oh, I think I'll just throw out the 2 bucks and find out...

Edit - Tried Forum Runner, could not connect, so got a refund.
I've now got Tapatalk setup on the upgraded forum. Please let me know of any issues you have.

Please note with the upgrade the mobile experience is much better (without Tapatalk). Try it out.

Last edited: