• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Forum Reorganization - Feedback

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Since creating the forum nearly 10 years ago, we've had to change things as the forum grew. One of the ongoing changes that is made is reorganizing the forums such that constructive, useful discussion happens and threads are categorized correctly. We want to get some feedback from the community before going forward with this.

Here is the proposal that has been put forward. Please comment below if you propose other changes or have feedback regarding this:
- In the video gallery section, merge the Official Solves with Unofficial Solves forums and then use [Official] and [Unofficial] prefixes. Require a new thread to have one or the other.
- Remove buy/sell/trade forum - while it is useful, we aren't eBay or Amazon and don't want people being scammed here. We advise people sell elsewhere or at competitions in person.
- Merge the Hardware Help/Questions forum into Hardware Discussion forum, and make a sticky for "Basic Hardware Help/Questions Thread".
- Merge General Cubing Help/Questions (it's dead) into Speedcubing Help/Questions.
- Remove the "Constructive Discussions" category, and put everything under the "General Discussions" category. Merge the "General Puzzle Discussion" forum with "Constructive Speedcubing Discussion". Having them separate doesn't make much sense and encourages people to not actively seek constructive discussions. Don't we want all discussions to be constructive?
- Merge Non-Twisty Puzzles & Games into Off-Topic.
- Get rid of the Private Forum.

If you have any additional thoughts or feedback on the above proposal, please reply to this thread. Thanks.

SenorJuan

Re:"Remove buy/sell/trade forum.... We advise people sell elsewhere or at competitions in person."
People wanting to sell at a competition might want to advertise beforehand, such a sub-forum would be useful.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
- In the video gallery section, merge the Official Solves with Unofficial Solves forums and then use [Official] and [Unofficial] prefixes. Require a new thread to have one or the other.

I don't like this. Titles of videotopics are long enough already: (record), name, event, format, result (for ex: [WR] Lucas Etter 3x3 single 4.90). Adding yet another tag is too much.

think the old index thing needs to be easier to access, as that is the single most important thing on the these excellent forums imo

Easier? Adding a bookmark in your browser is extremely easy. Do you have another proposal?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Excellent proposals. As you know, it's not ideal to have the forums structured the same way permanently because the community changes. I believe these current proposed adjustments are perfectly molding around how the majority of the current community functions.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's nice to have all the NRs/CRs and WRs ine one place. You should merge Official, Unofficial and that 3rd subforum into one. But leave Records alone! :D

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that the Private Forums generated the best content-heavy threads that these forums have had in years.

That said, it hasn't really been in use. If there's a way to make that alive again, do that. Otherwise it makes sense to remove dead things.

Everything else makes sense.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Re:"Remove buy/sell/trade forum.... We advise people sell elsewhere or at competitions in person."
People wanting to sell at a competition might want to advertise beforehand, such a sub-forum would be useful.

You would still be able to advertise selling cubes at competitions in the respective competition threads.

I don't like this. Titles of videotopics are long enough already: (record), name, event, format, result (for ex: [WR] Lucas Etter 3x3 single 4.90). Adding yet another tag is too much.

The [Official] and [Unofficial] tags would be for the videos currently in the Official and Unofficial solves subforum. [Official] wouldn't be added on to the WR/CR/NR thread titles - it should be already clear that those are official solves.

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also agree with most of the suggested changes, except the merging official/unofficial videos which I wouldn't really like. I'm also not too sure about merging general and constructive, but I'm not really against it either.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm always for reducing the number of subforums. Personally I thought the last couple of changes really started blowing things out and it's a pain. I get around from the forum main page, so having to go into every subforum individually takes ages, and therefore I often skip over a lot of them. Some others I'm not sold on (and also seem to have a low level of activity):
- Example solves forum
- Puzzle building, modding, designing
- Software area

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a fan of any subforum merging -- I think that we do have quite a few too many categories. However, I agree with many others here in saying that Official/Unofficial should probably be kept separate. WR/CR/NR having its own subforum does seem a bit unnecessary with the title tags that are used, so if we wanted to reduce dimensions in this part of the forum, I think merging official with records could work.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Remove buy/sell/trade forum - while it is useful, we aren't eBay or Amazon and don't want people being scammed here. We advise people sell elsewhere or at competitions in person.

Where do I make posts like "I'm going to be selling puzzles X and Y in the upcoming competition Z"?

edit: OK, just got the answer. But people not always create threads for competitions.
Other than that, great suggestions!