• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fingers Hurting

JohnLaurain

I just recently got a new Rubik's brand 3x3 (expensive shipping costs and long wait, so I'm waiting to get better before getting a good speed cube) and my fingers have started to hurt. I've been solving on and off for a good couple of hours, and have probably done 30 solves today. I'm pretty sure that that's a lot, and I'm wondering whether the veterans on this forum get finger pains, or if they've just built up callouses.

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
[Not a Veteran] On a Rubik's brand cube it is most likely common. The speed cubes have no pains (at least what I have used.) I can go nonstop with a Zhanchi, but I will not tolerate a Rubik's brand for very long. Try putting a small amount of 50k diff oil or CRC silicon in it to make it smoother.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No one gets finger pains since most cubers use well lubed cubes that require very little finger force to turn. So finger pain only happens if your doing like an average of 1000. And 30 solves? How fast are you?
You might be getting finger pains because Rubiks brand cubes suck at turning and aren't really designed for speed. Lube it or get a new cube.

JohnLaurain

It's not really sharp pain, just abrasion pain.

Insane: I'm not really that fast, I'm just dong a bit of Petrus and the rest of it the beginner's methods. Using the beginner's methods I can usually get around 3 min, I just started Petrus, so I'm averaging around 4-5 minutes.

dimwmuni

WCA
2010COOK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few months back I offered to lubricate my friend's rubik's brand. After I lubed it I decided to do a few solves. I remember that even after 10 or 12 solves, my fingers were hurting because I was trying to do finger tricks. It is just inherent in the cube because with my zhanchi I never have any pain in my fingers.

However, with my rubik's brand that I bought a long time ago, I can solve that forever and I will not be in pain. You just need to lubricate and break in your cube and eventually it will be smooth enough to solve without hurting your fingers. You could also just buy a better cube.

JohnLaurain

I'll try solving with it more and breaking it in more. If it becomes bad enough, then I'll order something like a Guhong. I should also probably try a different lube, I'm using CRC right now.

Maniac

WCA
2010KOUG01
CRC is a great lube. Make sure you work it in well (there are many tutorials on youtube). It will probably make more of a difference after the cube is broken in. Just turn it a lot!

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could lube the cube and sandpaper down any impurities but taht would only be a temporary solution, a more permanent solution is buy a better cube

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL,you think 30 solves is a lot.I sometimes do 200 hundred solves and my fingers don't hurt.I think your fingers are hurting because you are finger tricking with a Rubik's brand and those cubes are really horrible and hard to turn.I don't even know how can you turn that with your fingers,I can only turn those cubes with my whole hand.Lube your cube or,even better,buy a new one.I would recommend Alpha-V,F-II,Guhong or a Zhanchi.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can try to mod your rubik's brand. I used to use a rubik's brand as my main a few months ago.

Edit: you'll build stamina as you practice. But it's probably also cuz you're fingertricking an unmodded storebought

Cuberty

LOL,you think 30 solves is a lot.I sometimes do 200 hundred solves and my fingers don't hurt.I think your fingers are hurting because you are finger tricking with a Rubik's brand and those cubes are really horrible and hard to turn.I don't even know how can you turn that with your fingers,I can only turn those cubes with my whole hand.Lube your cube or,even better,buy a new one.I would recommend Alpha-V,F-II,Guhong or a Zhanchi.

Your profile pic does wonders to this thread.

FlyingFingers

Banned
Here, Look its probably the Rubik's Brand suckey turning. Go to Walmart of a Car parts store and buy Jig A Loo or CRC Heavy Duty Spray, Twist the top layer 45 degrees prop up the piece with a butter knife or with finger, Spray in The Lube and do maybe do 5/7 solves make sure when you put in the piece's in quick or you will make the cube bad because the silicone acts like a glue if you don't work it in.

Hope this helped
~FlyingFingers

RubiksCubex

WCA
2012HOLD01
My Rubiks Brand Cube was really stiff but i eased it up a bit by stuffing stuff in between a centre piece and then turning that face. Its a lot better now but i'm still going to buy a diansheng or something...