• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2L Tutorial Videos Here!!

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, guys...a week ago I started making some(7) F2L videos that go through EVERY F2L case(42), a good, most-likely 2-gen way to solve it.
In addition to that, they also show how to recognize them.
Lastly, they show how to recognize cases from different angles

Comments are very appreciated(both here and on youtube) and subscriptions are even more appreciated.
I hope you enjoy!

I hope this is the right section.
'Speedcubing' seems more relevent than 'video gallery'

Last edited by a moderator:

blgentry

While I applaud the amount of effort that must have gone into making so many videos covering every case, I'd like to offer some (hopefully) constructive criticism.

First a question: Who is your audience? Someone who doesn't know F2L? Someone who knows F2L but isn't very good at it? Experienced F2L practitioner? The way you teach should be tailored to who you plan on teaching.

So the first criticism: You move the faces and the cube *way* too fast for someone who is not experienced at F2L. I know it seems obvious to you (and to many here) because you have done it so many times. But you move so fast that occasionally the flash player can't keep up and an entire move is missed.

Which brings me to the algs themselves. You do say the moves out loud, but there's no reference. It might be smart to either type them into the description of the videos, or to link to a site that has them. Otherwise, the viewer has to rewind if he was not fast enough to keep up with you. On the non-intuitive algs, I can tell you that's going to happen a lot.

Third, it kinda kills the flow when you drop the cube or when you do an alg incorrectly. If you don't want to edit, at least start that case over from the beginning position, so the viewer can follow along coherently.

Finally, and this is just a very small issue, you don't tell the viewer how to set up the cases, so it's a bit hard to follow along with cube in hand.

Oh and I should come clean and say that I only watched around 15 total minutes of your videos, so I haven't seen every minute of every one.

Again, a big effort by you.

Brian.

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
You don't even use universal notation. you are regurgitating what 500 other websites teach. I don't get how this will help anyone. but good effort???

hawkmp4

*Scratches head*
Sell it to me.
What do your videos have that others don't?

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
While I applaud the amount of effort that must have gone into making so many videos covering every case, I'd like to offer some (hopefully) constructive criticism.

First a question: Who is your audience? Someone who doesn't know F2L? Someone who knows F2L but isn't very good at it? Experienced F2L practitioner? The way you teach should be tailored to who you plan on teaching.

So the first criticism: You move the faces and the cube *way* too fast for someone who is not experienced at F2L. I know it seems obvious to you (and to many here) because you have done it so many times. But you move so fast that occasionally the flash player can't keep up and an entire move is missed.

Which brings me to the algs themselves. You do say the moves out loud, but there's no reference. It might be smart to either type them into the description of the videos, or to link to a site that has them. Otherwise, the viewer has to rewind if he was not fast enough to keep up with you. On the non-intuitive algs, I can tell you that's going to happen a lot.

Third, it kinda kills the flow when you drop the cube or when you do an alg incorrectly. If you don't want to edit, at least start that case over from the beginning position, so the viewer can follow along coherently.

Finally, and this is just a very small issue, you don't tell the viewer how to set up the cases, so it's a bit hard to follow along with cube in hand.

Oh and I should come clean and say that I only watched around 15 total minutes of your videos, so I haven't seen every minute of every one.

Brian.

good thoughts. Especially the one about the audience, because from what I saw you seem to be assuming different skill levels of the audience throughout the videos. You take almost 3 minutes to explain the trivial insertion of an F2L pair, but 2 videos later you are going at the speed of light for some cases that require some thought. So it is not clear who you are trying to target.

What i would like to add is this: Each presentation method, a video or an online tutorial in HTML form has both its strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion videos are best to convey information that requires some form of intuitive explanation and websites are usually good for everything else.

That being said, I did have a few people who suggested to me that I do a video on all F2L cases, so there may be some demand for this. My guess however is that they just haven't thought long enough about what they want :) So just to wrap it up, I would certainly never learn algorithms from a video, but maybe someone will want to try, so if I do get more of that, I will send them to your videos :) Even though the impression I got for most of them was that they are total beginners and they probably won't be able to keep up :)

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
>.>
And shouldn't this be in the video gallery?
And shouldn't you read carefully?
But yes, I agree, this thread should be in the video gallery. Almost all threads that are cubing related and include a video should be in the Video Gallery sub forum.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Brian.
Thank you for critisism
I will find a video editor(any ideas for a free one) and make sure I don't mess up the quality too bad...

You don't even use universal notation. you are regurgitating what 500 other websites teach. I don't get how this will help anyone. but good effort???
What do you mean by 'universal notation'
I hope to make the next set of videos have this thing...whatever it is

good thoughts. Especially the one about the audience, because from what I saw you seem to be assuming different skill levels of the audience throughout the videos. You take almost 3 minutes to explain the trivial insertion of an F2L pair, but 2 videos later you are going at the speed of light for some cases that require some thought. So it is not clear who you are trying to target.

What i would like to add is this: Each presentation method, a video or an online tutorial in HTML form has both its strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion videos are best to convey information that requires some form of intuitive explanation and websites are usually good for everything else.

That being said, I did have a few people who suggested to me that I do a video on all F2L cases, so there may be some demand for this. My guess however is that they just haven't thought long enough about what they want :) So just to wrap it up, I would certainly never learn algorithms from a video, but maybe someone will want to try, so if I do get more of that, I will send them to your videos :) Even though the impression I got for most of them was that they are total beginners and they probably won't be able to keep up :)
Yay! God finnaly talked to me...I hope I'm not insane....
lol, jk
I will attempt to fix these problems in the next set

OK.
I have decided to re-do these videos and delete the old one
I will make sure the following things are true:
-I go slower
-I will show how to set up a case
-I will try to approach a completely beginner audience
-I will actually edit my video to include all F2L 'algorithms' and their setup moves
-I will make it better
-I will post webpage with decent expanation for each vid
-I will group algorithms better
-I will make it better

blgentry

I have decided to re-do these videos and delete the old one

Well, don't go too crazy...

-I will show how to set up a case
-I will actually edit my video to include all F2L 'algorithms' and their setup moves

Simply having these printed somewhere is good enough IMHO. A web page or video description for example.

-I will try to approach a completely beginner audience

IMHO, that's a TALL order. I'm not sure how a beginner would learn the algs, though I've seen one or two posters here saying that is how they were learning, so I guess that makes sense to some people. It just didn't for me: Intuitive was the only way that made sense to me.

Good luck. :)

Brian.

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
99% of cubers around the world use the basic notation that is described on any major cube website. you use something completely different that i've never even heard of.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
>.>
And shouldn't this be in the video gallery?
And shouldn't you read carefully?
But yes, I agree, this thread should be in the video gallery. Almost all threads that are cubing related and include a video should be in the Video Gallery sub forum.

wrong? this should be in the how-to's and guides sub-forum. the video gallery is for videos of speedsolves. all guide videos belong in the how-to's sub-forum.

some hints for stachuk:
you are going to want to film each case individually, and maybe even multiple times until you get a good one. then edit them together.

you probably dont want to target total beginners with these vids. 7 videos worth of algorithms can be a bit intimidating.

other than that you just need to realize that this is going to be a lot of work.

turtlecutches

Hey, guys...a week ago I started making some(7) F2L videos that go through EVERY F2L case(42), a good, most-likely 2-gen way to solve it.
In addition to that, they also show how to recognize them.
Lastly, they show how to recognize cases from different angles

Comments are very appreciated(both here and on youtube) and subscriptions are even more appreciated.
I hope you enjoy!

only algorithm I wasnt able to understand was 2:26 of the third video because you rushed a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: