• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Example TPS Solves and a Few Tips (Video)

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel

I made this video for all of those cubers who are stuck at specific time barriers and would like to see the speed they need in order to overcome those barriers. Most importantly, this video is meant to be a visual example of the tps required to overcome certain barriers.The barriers I discuss are Sub 1 Minute, Sub 45 seconds, Sub 30 Seconds, Sub 25 Seconds, Sub 20 Seconds, Sub 17 Seconds and Sub 15 Seconds.

I realize that my turning speed wasn't exactly perfect, nor was the TPS I said you needed, but this was just supposed to be an approximation of the MINIMUM TPS required to overcome those barriers consistently. Please let me now if you have any questions. The moves I alloted for each time are as follows:

F2ll and 4 Look Last Layer- Done relatively optimally- 75 moves, cross+f2l- 35 moves, Oll- 8 moves (average) + 10 moves (average for oriented edge olls), Pll- Corners(A perm and V perm average) 11 moves, Edges- 11 moves

F2l and 2 Look Last Layer- Done relatively optimally- 53 (I used 50 in the vid) moves cross+ f2l- 30 moves, Oll- 11 moves, Pll, 12 moves

If you feel like skipping to certain parts, the Sub 1 minute is at 1:18, the sub 45 is at 4:33, the Sub 30 is at 7:24, the Sub 25 is at 9:58, the Sub 20 is at 12:26, Sub 17 is at 15:39, Sub 15 is at 18:03.

Last edited by a moderator:

iShadows

OMG, I love you LOL, thanks for the video mate, the other video that you post about CN, really helps, I don't know why haters say that is not useful... Thanks :D

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your assumption for F2L knowledge does not really translate to someone who is even over 30s. Its almost impossible for someone who averages sub15 to say how a person who is at 1:00 solves. Your TPS will not be accurately reflective of what is needed for someone who has a much worse F2L than you.

--Edit--
Also, you are turning MUCH faster at the end of your solves (Aperm on the sub45 example) because you are trying to make sure you get under the barrier. Either you should really take the time to practice 30s solves or not be so authoritative with your videos.

Last edited:

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't really work like that, of course you can solve with really slow TPS using CFOP in 50s.. use beginners and have beginners look-a-head.. and it's not that easy.

RaresB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BOST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really admire your dedication to making videos however i find this one slightly misleading once you get to a certain speed (such as sub 15 lets say) your cubing understanding and logic is much more advanced then lets say someone who is sub-1, once you have this logic it would be nearly impossible i would think to use a beginners logic. Think of it like this, once you know how to solve a cube you dont know how to try and solve it as if you didnt know how to solve it. I hope that made sense

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I really admire your dedication to making videos however i find this one slightly misleading once you get to a certain speed (such as sub 15 lets say) your cubing understanding and logic is much more advanced then lets say someone who is sub-1, once you have this logic it would be nearly impossible i would think to use a beginners logic. Think of it like this, once you know how to solve a cube you dont know how to try and solve it as if you didnt know how to solve it. I hope that made sense

That true, But i think the video is leaning towards more turning speed than lookahead and tricks. To show how fast you should or could be turning.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Good vid!

Of course this video wont help many to get faster. But I think this is a good video that makes people realize that they should focus more on smoothness than on speed.

That was kind of the idea, but also, and I just thought it might help people to see what certain TPS speeds looked like.

Very true, like I said at the end, I it is hard for me to even try to move that slow

Can you sow a sub 10 TPS example please

I could, but Idon't get sub tens often enough to do it smoothly.. They are normally lucky solves. Currently I could do a sub 12 though if anyone really wanted it..

Your assumption for F2L knowledge does not really translate to someone who is even over 30s. Its almost impossible for someone who averages sub15 to say how a person who is at 1:00 solves. Your TPS will not be accurately reflective of what is needed for someone who has a much worse F2L than you.

--Edit--
Also, you are turning MUCH faster at the end of your solves (Aperm on the sub45 example) because you are trying to make sure you get under the barrier. Either you should really take the time to practice 30s solves or not be so authoritative with your videos.

Yeah I just watched that I lol, I normally sub 1 that with ease so trying to go slow was hard.. I was making the vid mainly for showing the general speed at which you need to move to overcome those barriers. That and to give a few tips to those stuck at those barriers listed

It doesn't really work like that, of course you can solve with really slow TPS using CFOP in 50s.. use beginners and have beginners look-a-head.. and it's not that easy.

I knew 4 look last layer at one minute. I also teach my advanced class at UC Berkeley to do 4lll and F2L and they are normally at sup two minutes coming in and leave around 45 seconds.. I don't think it is strange for me to expect people to be using this method.

Last edited:

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was making the vid mainly for showing the general speed at which you need to move to overcome those barriers.
But you're not doing that.... You're doing slow solving when you can solve already in 14s.

I'm sorry, but this video has no merit. It's pretty much impossible to make this video well, since you can't act like a person struggling to get sub-1.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
But you're not doing that.... You're doing slow solving when you can solve already in 14s.

I'm sorry, but this video has no merit. It's pretty much impossible to make this video well, since you can't act like a person struggling to get sub-1.
No, I but I can approximate the amount of TPS they need to do in order to solve in less than one minute. and then demonstrate that turning speed in a video entitled example TPS solves and some tips

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No you can't.... Don't you get it..?

You do ~ 55 moves, with 1tps.. in 55s.
They do like 100 moves or something, with 2tps in 50s...

You are obviously more efficient... Think about it.

Also, the whole "Im going to do my LL algs way faster than they can do", doesn't work out.

Sorry, I'm just going to say for sure you're wrong on this one. Laying down the law, nah mean.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
No you can't.... Don't you get it..?

You do ~ 55 moves, with 1tps.. in 55s.
They do like 100 moves or something, with 2tps in 50s...

You are obviously more efficient... Think about it.

Also, the whole "Im going to do my LL algs way faster than they can do", doesn't work out.

Sorry, I'm just going to say for sure you're wrong on this one. Laying down the law, nah mean.

I see what you are saying, and i even said in the video these were approximations, but my solve wasn't 55 moves in was more like 65 moves since I did 4lll, and I had a skip so it would have been more like 75 moves. 75 moves is not that much to ask of a beginner. Also, it is showing how they SHOULD solve and at what speed they need to do it at. I do agree that I was way too optimal though. I might redo the one minute mark and add in a few mistakes which is to be expected at that stage.

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
But these videos are wrong, so you're not actually helping people, even if you, or they, think you are.
Please explain to me how they are wrong? The purpose of this video was simply to demonstrate certain tps's. I used certain time barriers as examples. I didn't do anything crazy or controversial here dude, Why is it that everyone on this forum is so jaded? Can't you guys just appreciate that I am trying to do something nice and not try to hack down all that I do? I even say in my vid and my description that these times aren't exact, I am just giving an example..

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I already explained why I thought it was wrong.

If this video was "watch me do solves at different TPS'" then it would be fine. It's trying to say that people at 1min only need 1tps or something like that.

I'm not "hacking" this down because it's something you did, I'm doing it because I think it's wrong.

Theres always that group of people that are against jskyler.
Not really. Just against the things he says.

Last edited: