• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does having 2 monitors help in alg learning?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The idea case of referring to algs can be to have google sheet open in one screen, and drill timer or solver timer loaded on the other screen.

I have to press a lot of Alt+Tab while I am trying to seeing the alg from the comm sheet.

What are your thoughts on this?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
In all of my office work and personal computer tasks 2 monitors is always more functional from the standpoint of simply having more available room for display. Windows will let you split your screen in half on a single monitor though by dragging to the edge or just resizing the 2 tabs manually.

Reactions: qwr

kubesolver

Premium Member
More space on the screen is better the same way as bigger desk is better because you can put more things on it without stacking stuff.

up to two 24 inch screens there is almost linear improvement in productivity.
But there is a limit and in my experience it is roughly 2 screens of 27 inches.

I worked on 2x30 inches screens and it was too much. It felt like having a desk size of a football field.
Often I couldn't see where the new window has opened. Finding the blinking cursor was a hard task, etc.
Similarly with 3 and 4 monitors setup. Produces more confusion than benefits.

ARE YOU THE CEO OF GOOGLE? I bet even he doesn't use a second monitor.

You can safely tell your mom that almost every tech company offers two screen for everyone including interns.

xyzzy

Dual monitors is super nice for doing things that require a lot of screen space (e.g. working with 1080p video, so you have the video preview on one screen and the editor on another screen), but otherwise you can get by with just tiling.

I used to use two for a while (laptop screen + external monitor), but unfortunately these days I use only the external monitor for ergonomic reasons (monitor height, chair height, desk height, desk space, etc.) and also my laptop screen is half-dead anyway.

For learning algs specifically, the ideal is to have the algs already embedded in the trainer (like e.g. Train Yu or SCDB), and the second best is to just have your alg sheet in a separate window that's always visible. Like I said above, a second monitor isn't necessary; just tile the windows.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
More space on the screen is better the same way as bigger desk is better because you can put more things on it without stacking stuff.

I worked on 2x30 inches screens and it was too much. It felt like having a desk size of a football field.
Often I couldn't see where the new window has opened. Finding the blinking cursor was a hard task, etc.

You can safely tell your mom that almost every tech company offers two screen for everyone including interns.
my best friend has like 2x32 or something.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
having one alg in each monitor, you can look at one monitor with one eye and the other with the other eye, learning algs 2x times faster
Wikipedia said:
Peek read by scanning the left page with his left eye, while reading the right page with his right eye. According to an article in The Times newspaper, he could accurately recall the contents of at least 12,000 books.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yeah 3-4 monitor setups will be super crazy and unnecessary too unless if you are a stock trader.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't tell me this is your setup. (Or the images on the monitors are photoshopped)

If it is, its insane. I don't think any other cuber has such a setup.
ofc is photoshopped :p
you can tell by some pixels on the screen

Last edited: