• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does Cubing Help Your Brain?

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed the same thing, when I first picked up the cube I struggled 1,5 day learning 5 algortihm to solve the cube. Now depending on wether I find it flowing or not, I sometimes just have to repeat them 10 times. (When I'm in the mood of learning them only)

Exactly. Just to prove my point, I went to Alg.Db and learnt Gb perm in 10 mins. Otherwise, that alg would have normally took me 1 hour. 1/6 the time from when I was 25 sec.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. And this is a fact.

Being appy doesn't mean you win. Being better than your opponent(s) is what makes you win. That's the definition of winning...
I think the issue is that you're (understandably) misinterpreting my view of 'winning'.

I think the most ultimate form of 'winning' is being happy. That's what your end goal is here.

'Winning' some competition (and I don't mean cubing, specifically) may be a contributing factor to your overall happiness, but it's the happiness or unhappiness that comes after an event that matters.

I've competed (again, speaking very generically) at many things.

Sometimes I 'lose' and I'm happy, because I've learned something.
I've had failed interviews that I've learned from.
I've tried to lift more than I could handle, and it makes me happy to know that I've at least tried.

Sometimes I 'win' the competition and I'm sad.
Maybe I cheated.
Maybe I realize that it would have made the other person happier to have won, and I lowered the utilitarian's view of the situation.
Maybe I could have done better, and am currently scorning myself.

'Winning' may help you be happy, but the end goal is happy.
Whether you're solving Rubik's Cubes, having sex, doing charity work, etc., you do it all because it makes you happy.
There may be intermediate emotions (pride, for example), but I believe happiness to be the hopeful end result.

[That said, if killing babies makes me happy and there's no downside from my perspective, of course that's what I'm going to do.]

Last edited: