• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do I just need to keep practicing? Or learn a different method?

bojadada

My fastest solve is usually a minute, and I've gotten it in 40 seconds ONCE (pretty sure it was just luck). I use the method they teach you in the booklet that comes with the Rubik's brand cubes, and for the last layer, I use beginners OLL and PLL. Should I learn a new method to speed up my solves? Or do I just keep practicing?

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03
Be prepared for a CFOP vs Roux debate (aka fight) in your thread
You would probably be able to around 40 seconds with that method. I would suggest moving onto another branch of that method and learn f2l. This is where you place the first layer and corner and that middle layer edge in at the same time instead of seperately. This will make you times just up dramatically but then with a lot of practice they will drop. Also what cube are you using, I am assuming a Rubik's brand. Many would disagree with what I am about to say but I personally suggest getting a Ghosthand I or a dayan guhong v1 and tightening the screws. If you continue to use a rubik's brand you will develop bad habits, and be like me who uses their wrist too much.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Prepare for people to whinge about roux v cfop debates before they even take place here. EDIT: oh dear it happened before i even posted

Also, you should explore as much as possible and broaden knowledge rather than gain a little speed quickly. In the long term a vast knowledge pays off. By simply practising you CAN get faster in the short term but learning new tools will be necessary to be fast and soon after the skills to learn on your own will be necessary to be very fast.

Strong technique is key to having a steady and constant improvement rate

Last edited:

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if you want to be an all around good cuber you should just learn a whole bunch of methods and algorithms. good methods to start learning: cfop, roux, zz. you take it from there. good luck.

you could also just be one of those boring people who learns cfop and like a thousand algorithms.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learning more methods is fun but absolutely not necessary for speed. You do NOT need to learn multiple methods or constantly switch methods in order to get to a decent speed. Choose any advanced method you like - CFOP, Roux, and ZZ are the most popular, but there are other options - and then learn all of it and keep practicing.

aznanimedude

above all else, make sure it's still enjoyable while you learn, no point taking a method just because everyone else uses it and hate it as you go

PoHos1

WCA
2013POHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
if you want to be an all around good cuber you should just learn a whole bunch of methods and algorithms. good methods to start learning: cfop, roux, zz. you take it from there. good luck.

you could also just be one of those boring people who learns cfop and like a thousand algorithms.

BTW... to cfop metod its 78 basic algoritms and if you keep on practising you will be about 20 seconds and later faster :)

and I jsut cant come on yours 1000 algoritms :)

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
i learned cfop because i never knew that roux or zz existed. i was a nooblet
but whatever method you move on to, i suggest you learn how to blockbuild to some extent. cfop has the easiest blockbuilding, so easy that they're not even really blocks. you can somewhat combine zz and cfop, but regular zz and roux both require knowledge of blockbuilding. it would probably be easiest to go straight to cfop since it's very similar, but try to experiment with the different methods and see which one you like the most.

oh and do you have a good cube? or a lubed cube? i remember getting 45 second averages with my rubik's brand cube lubed with vaseline. don't be like me.