• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do CFOP users have different preference of cubes than Roux users

rubik2005

I personally havent done Roux, only CFOP, and my main is the Tengyun V1. My guess is that since Roux solvers do a lot of M moves, they need a cube that lets them do that very well, and maybe Qiyi cubes let them do that. CFOP solvers maybe arent affected by this too much, so they might focus on the feeling and and speed. Maybe they like these aspects of the GAN cubes.

Also, take into account sponsorships. Feliks is sponsored by GAN, so you might not see him using a Qiyi cube.

This is is my guess, and I'm not an expert in anything, but I hole it helps.

CFOPboi

well, I use cfop, but I can generally do well with most cubes. But because I have never done roux I cant assume its the same. however, it is true that roux uses more slice move finger tricks that could be easier it do on different cubes.

Alex Shih

I think the reason top Roux users use Valks is that they don't need to take advantage of corner cutting as much. One of the main reasons CFOP is fast is because of algorithm spam, so it makes sense that the fast TPS you would need for algorithm spam would make you prefer cubes with better corner cutting (Gan and MoYu cubes). Roux users don't need to have very high TPS since the movecount in Roux is so low, so they probably don't need extremely good corner cutting in their cubes. That being said, this is definitely not some universal rule. For example, Mats Valk and Jay Mcneill both use Valks.

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My (probably not true but interesting) theory: People who use Gan cubes were once beginners (and most beginners start with LBL then move to CFOP) who thought that a Gan cube was hands down the best, so they mained Gan cubes from early on and still use them now. On the other hand, the people inclined to use roux have thought about methods more (and probably hardware) and therefore realize that other brands can be just as good or better than Gan cubes, but at a lower price. (This is obviously a generalization)

Also: IMO Gan cubes don't have as good of corner cutting as most people assume.

It would also be interesting to know how many CFOPers actually main Gan cubes. As a couple users on the forums have pointed out: At the comps I've been to, you see less and less Gan cubes when you get closer to 3x3 finals.

Last edited:

mukerflap

i dont know a single roux user who uses a gan cube, and i also know many who use moyu cubes, i dont think that many roux users use qiyi cubes other than kian and sean and they are sponsored anyway

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I assume they wouldn't want too strong magnets because M slice has twice the magnetic strength as face turns

This, exactly this.. I still use a ZhanChi as my main Roux cube because it's my only non magnetic 3x3.

I have the same problem with big cubes and slice moves for K4, the magnets are a huge annoyance.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
This, exactly this.. I still use a ZhanChi as my main Roux cube because it's my only non magnetic 3x3.

I have the same problem with big cubes and slice moves for K4, the magnets are a huge annoyance.
But there's plenty of better cubes nowadays in terms of (the harshness of) corner cutting... it would probably be better if you used a non-magnetic meilong or little magic

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look at top 3bld they use a lot of slice moves. A lot of them don't look like magnet.s.

Magnets aren't stronger on slice moves. There are 12 magnets moving as apposed to 20.

Slice moves are fine on magnetic big cubes.

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Magnets aren't stronger on slice moves. There are 12 magnets moving as apposed to 20.

We were referring to the force generated by the magnets, which when you increase the quantity will also increase.

The quantity also depends on the cube, I have a cube with 8 pairs on the M ring and I have a cube with 16 pairs on the M ring.. MU spam is possible but not comfortable.

Slice moves are fine on magnetic big cubes.

Try k4 some time, ELL is a bugger with a magnetic cube that has magnets on every slice.. it's even worse with a MoYu 4x4 where there are 2 pairs of magnets on the middle most gap meaning each slice has 12 pairs of magnets compared to the 4 on the outer layer.

I will cede however that on cubes 6+ the magnets are no where near as bad as on a 4x4.. perhaps because reduction based methods also use these slices a fair amount and thus cubes that are developed with magnets weighted towards these methods aren't as bad for slice heavy methods akin to k4.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We were referring to the force generated by the magnets, which when you increase the quantity will also increase.

The quantity also depends on the cube, I have a cube with 8 pairs on the M ring and I have a cube with 16 pairs on the M ring.. MU spam is possible but not comfortable.

Try k4 some time, ELL is a bugger with a magnetic cube that has magnets on every slice.. it's even worse with a MoYu 4x4 where there are 2 pairs of magnets on the middle most gap meaning each slice has 12 pairs of magnets compared to the 4 on the outer layer.

I will cede however that on cubes 6+ the magnets are no where near as bad as on a 4x4.. perhaps because reduction based methods also use these slices a fair amount and thus cubes that are developed with magnets weighted towards these methods aren't as bad for slice heavy methods akin to k4.
Watch Chris Tran's old video about magnets and M moves.

I have done some 3style on 4x4. Slices are fine.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am a method neutral solver using both CFOP and Roux, and I use the same cube for both methods (Dayan Tengyun v1). Both methods have different turning styles so a cube which has flexible design is the best bet if you are using both the methods and want a single cube.

Roux Empress

My (probably not true but interesting) theory: People who use Gan cubes were once beginners (and most beginners start with LBL then move to CFOP) who thought that a Gan cube was hands down the best, so they mained Gan cubes from early on and still use them now. On the other hand, the people inclined to use roux have thought about methods more (and probably hardware) and therefore realize that other brands can be just as good or better than Gan cubes, but at a lower price. (This is obviously a generalization)

It would also be interesting to know how many CFOPers actually main Gan cubes. As a couple users on the forums have pointed out: At the comps I've been to, you see less and less Gan cubes when you get closer to 3x3 finals.
Actually this is very realistic

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I was once a beginner, and I believe this is false. (I do use CFOP coming from LBL) Ive always thought Gan cubes were overpriced and under performing. I remember watching reviews on the SM when I was looking for my first serious speed cube, and I decided that it was too expensive and not so amazing. I decided on the gts2m instead, because it was supposed to be faster than the valk. Now I main a Valk elite, and I’ve still never mained a Gan cube. I mained a budget cyclone boys cube, then a little magic m, gts2m, and now a valk elite. I might get a Gan 11 m pro though, because people seem to think it’s really good.

Last edited:

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was once a beginner, and I believe this is false. (I do use CFOP coming from LBL) Ive always thought Gan cubes were overpriced and under performing. I remember watching reviews on the SM when I was looking for my first serious speed cube, and I decided that it was too expensive and not so amazing.
Well first off, good for you for being informed on hardware as a beginner. And second, I could expand on my point from three months ago by saying that my theory was based on two assumptions. One being that as a beginner, you aren’t very informed on a range of hardware and performance. (A good example being me, who got the Valk power... without magnets). Two is that a lot of new cubers are young, and aren’t typically concerned about saving money because their parents might buy it for them.