• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Differences between a Gan 356 Air SM & the new 356X ?

Momoske

Hey everyone, I've been cubing a long time ago and stopped about 3 to 4 years before coming back recently. I used to do about 15 to 20 seconds per solve on average in competitions, with the first MoYu Weilong.

My cube's pretty rusty and doesn't turn very well now lol, so i bought a Gan 356 Air SM on monday... literally THE day before the 356X got released on Gan's website. I got the Air SM for 35€, so I'd like to know if the 356X would really make a big difference or not compared to the 356 Air SM for an ~average~ speedcuber like me in terms of solving times and getting better overtime?

Would i become much better from now (considering I still get 15 to 20 sec solves today, surprisingly) with a 356X rather than with a 356 Air SM, or would that not make a huge difference (considering the price difference, 35€ Air SM / 55€ 356X) to the point where i should keep my Air SM in stead of reselling it new and get a 356X?

Thanks in advance for the help & clarification!

Momoske

I've tested it and it's definitely better than what i have right now (MoYu Weilong) and i really love it so I'll probably stick with it. I've been asking more and more people, and getting another new 4x4 & 2x2 on top of it for the same price of the 356X is a great deal. Thank you!

xyzzy

The 356 X supposedly has a softer feel and is quieter than the SM, as well as a novel mechanism that makes switching magnet strengths easy, and considering that it's meant to be an upgrade of the SM (which you seem to be happy with), you'd probably like the 356 X as well.

However! It certainly doesn't make sense to switch out your SM for a 356 X now, partly because the resale value goes down when it's not brand new, but mainly because Gan will probably have a new cube released by next year and you might just as well wait until then to upgrade. Maybe try out some cubes from other brands too!