• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Diablo III

Uberdad

As an avid Diablo II Lod fan, I cannot WAIT for this to come out. The gameplay and graphics look amazing. Only complaint, just 5 classes to choose from. I guess the witch-doctor replaces the necromncer, and maybe the druid and assassin will get axed?

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
where do you think my nick came from? :) of course I'm a fan. I used to play Diablo2 LOD 8 hours a day for a month or so, then it died down a little to about 4 hours for another 3 months. That was fun

anyway D3 looks amazing. Its pretty much more of the same thing, but flashier looks. I like that. No need fixing what aint broken :)

hait2

As an avid Diablo II Lod fan, I cannot WAIT for this to come out. The gameplay and graphics look amazing. Only complaint, just 5 classes to choose from. I guess the witch-doctor replaces the necromncer, and maybe the druid and assassin will get axed?

gee i wonder how many classes d2 had at release
avid fan indeed.

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
where do you think my nick came from? :) of course I'm a fan. I used to play Diablo2 LOD 8 hours a day for a month or so, then it died down a little to about 4 hours for another 3 months. That was fun

anyway D3 looks amazing. Its pretty much more of the same thing, but flashier looks. I like that. No need fixing what aint broken :)
I always wondered how you got your username...

genwin

i never got to play diablo and i doubt i can get a copy of the game here.. so are there non-torrent sites that allow you to download Diablo 2 as a full release??

Guoguodi

Hmm. I'm not a big fan of the direction the art is taking, judging from the gameplay video. It seems too reminiscent of the whole WC3 / WoW style, not of the Diablo we all know and love :)

Browsing the official forums (on BNet) and there are a lot of threads complaining about the "cartoony" look of D3. Apparently, the head art designer is the same guy who does art for WoW. What's more, Blizzard initially started off with an art style much more dark and gothic, similar to the previous Diablo's, but later revised that toward the WoW/WC3 style.

Personally, I'm yearning for more of that ambient, darkness/gothic atmosphere that made Diablo so friggin' awesome, and at the same time set it apart from all the countless clones that followed in subsequent years, that failed to capture that unique feeling.

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9283

Nice! Always wondered if your nickname was a reference to Diablo :p

Last edited:

Guoguodi

Actually, I think this post sums it up pretty well:

(from: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246602&postcount=17)

( First post btw, but I'm a hardcore Diablo fan )
You make a good point Ultra. A really good point. Diablo2 had amazing graphics, both dark and realistic. I would go so far as to say some of the best graphics ever made for any game. First of all, since most of you wanted 3D, there is just no way you could make as realistic looking of graphics in 3D and have the game run remotely well. Diablo2 was also technically developed by a different studio, who thought independently from the central Blizzard art philosophy. Notice how similar Diablo, StarCraft, and WarCraft all are beginning to look. It's the new "Blizzard" style. Think of Blizzard more like Pixar now, they are a closed-off community, no longer two independent studios ( North and South ). Blizzard is more commercial, they are more generic, trying to be less offensive, and going with something "safe" that is proven to work for a broad audience which guarantess more sales. I'm as sad as you, but think of it as an inevitable change. First of all because the original studio is no longer intact. Secondly because Blizzard is becoming larger and more commercial. It's what happens to all games once the company expands and becomes more corporate. The grittiness disappears. Think of the original C&C (Westwood) as opposed now to the modern C&C (EA). I applaud your efforts, but I doubt they'll do anything to change the style.

To get into the specifics, the backgrounds, as always, look incredibly detailed and overall look really good. But yes, there is too much saturation, not enough darks. Overall, however, the backgrounds look really really good. My main problem is the characters, which you can't do much about and here's why: You can't shadow dynamic characters well in 3D, leaving the character fully lit. This is horrible for a Diablo game. A fully lit character ( enemy or hero ) isn't gothic, it's cartoony. Combine this with low poly counts on the characters, and you get a really cartoony style. Sure, you could change the hue/saturation/contrast to make the backgrounds look more gothic, but the characters are still going to look cartoony. I would guess that this style is also just the result of the limitations of 3D graphics.

The solution to the cartoony character problem would be: Dynamic Ambient Occlusion like in Crysis and higher poly models. This would add tons more lag, and this is against Blizzard's policy of making games that run really well.

Uberdad

gee i wonder how many classes d2 had at release
avid fan indeed.
D2 on release had 5 classes, then the Lord of Destruction expansion added another 2 ( druid and assassin ), as well as an extra act, loot, synergy skills, runewords and other things. It was this expansion that turned a great game into a really great game.