• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] DaYan Gem Cube I

What do you use 'Sandwich' bags for?

• Total voters

Nanite

This may be a strange question, NE of you purchase this Cube from an online store, whose name is similar to and could be rhymed with bicycle? Today Iived my first gem Cube and I was so excited at this new purchase. Beyond boxing was strange, to say the least. I will say that the Box itself was a little damaged and that's not unusual when they use the USPS large bubble wrap shipping bags.
my question is am I the only person who opened the de Yan Fox and pulled the gem Cube out of the box to find it was not wrapped in plastic but it was in an "off brand" sandwich bag. the bag was also unzipped allowing dust particles to potentially Driftin and it looks my cat have been used before. I understand that the jostling around of the USPS shipment and the wear and tear on things can happen but if they're going to put it in a sandwich bag at least get me a new bag if not a name brand bag.
my second question about the DaYan Gem Cube, is it normal for it to be difficult to move? I mean, do I have to break it in, literally it's lik a seized lug nut. at first I thought it was super glued together. perhaps a nasty joke from somebody in the factory.
well thank you for reading this and I look forward to hearing some of the topics being addressed, and please realize that I am doing a talk-to-text and

WCA
2018BRUM01
LOL where did you buy this cube from. I have bough non wca puzzles IRL at comps, and they almost always turn horribly, but after a couple of solves they all broke in. I have never heard of a cube being shipped in a shanwich bag. That is a very interesting choice, but you will probably never know the back story.

Nanite

LOL where did you buy this cube from. I have bough non wca puzzles IRL at comps, and they almost always turn horribly, but after a couple of solves they all broke in. I have never heard of a cube being shipped in a shanwich bag. That is a very interesting choice, but you will probably never know the back story.
LOL where did you buyI have bough non wca puzzles IRL at comps, and they almost always turn horribly, but after a couple of solves they all broke in. I have never heard of a cube being shipped in a shanwich bag. That is a very interesting choice, but you will probably never know the back story.
I ordered it from the cubicle, that's a sight I purchase most of my cubes from. they have been really good about Quality Cubes but this was so interesting to me. I've been trying to send pictures to their customer service but I haven't been able to upload them for some reason. since I've never had a gym Cube before I am wondering if this one is typical or if it was damaged in shipping. I know that it's been really hot and the Cube does seem a little misshapen.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Contact cubicle support about your issue.
Non WCA puzzles tend not to turn that well, especially older ones and ones with many intricate cuts. But if the plastic is damaged you should definitely ask for a replacement.

Nanite

Yes, I contacted them and they wanted pictures. For some reason I could not get the pictures 2 email to them. Mostly because all I have is my cell phone not a PC.
I looked on Reddit and several other people had complained that the skewb doesn't move. so I put a review on the cubicle, telling people that in order to get it to move you want to loosen some of the screws and lube it.
the screws were bound really tight so I needed help to loosen them. and once I did that I began to take a piece out so that I could see the components inside. that was a big mistake!
as I tried 2 piece it back together I realize that it's held together by tension which is amazing I'd successfully lubed it, and was happy to have the bottom half of it Hold together simply by tension.
the whole thing fell apart so now I have a bunch of pieces to put back together again. I had a flashback of that video about the kid who built. Huge Cube that then kind of exploded on him as he was trying to turn it.
since it's totally apart I might try to share images of this to everyone here. this puzzle cube is an interesting Cube that looks really nice even when scrambled.

Nanite

Pix so far...
After taking the puzzle apart, idy noticed a piece that didn't move as well. There was a chip causing this slow down. I used a nail file to smooth out the snag.
The core has six points. I have a center being held with blue painter's tape. This keeps the stickers colors intact.
I've shown the inside, how the pieces fit together. I've flipped it over to show what it looks like. (To me it looks like a Trivial Pursuit game piece.
That's it for now...

Attachments

• çhip 07.28.19.jpg
    çhip 07.28.19.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 2
  • smooth 7.28.19.jpg
    smooth 7.28.19.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1564346407024.jpg
    1564346407024.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 2
  • pieces and what I've used.jpg