• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubingUSA Regional Championships

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
ok i also updated the sheet with area, if you don't count alaska then there's a group of 4 that are pretty close and a group of 3 that are too

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
We debated regions very thoroughly among the CubingUSA Directors and the Delegates. We realized we would never make everybody happy with the way we split regions, but I think we can pretty close. As often as possible, we went with the recommendations of the local delegates to a particular region. In some cases, that was not possible, so we did the best we could to satisfy as many people as possible.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, we struggled with area vs. population issues throughout making these regions. I wanted to add UT/CO to NW and strongly considered merging some regions like Heartland/Great Lakes, but that made it harder for people to travel a reasonable distance to a regional event. We decided to make the regions based on area rather than population, as we wanted to make more competitors within a reasonable distance of a regional event.
The Northeast region should be spit up differently. There are some big cubing areas like Mass, NY, and MD area. There are too many people in that region compared to other areas.

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
We debated regions very thoroughly among the CubingUSA Directors and the Delegates. We realized we would never make everybody happy with the way we split regions, but I think we can pretty close. As often as possible, we went with the recommendations of the local delegates to a particular region. In some cases, that was not possible, so we did the best we could to satisfy as many people as possible.
yeah us geography is kind of awkward i think yall did a good job

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
The Northeast region should be spit up differently. There are some big cubing areas like Mass, NY, and MD area. There are too many people in that region compared to other areas.

Ultimately it's probably better that regions are split primarily geographically. If the competition is too far away, there are a lot of people who won't be able to go. If there are more people in a region, and competition is tougher, then a) it is a bigger accomplishment to place well and b) you will likely rise to the level of your competition, and do better in other competitions.

Randon

WCA
2014FOLD01
Ultimately it's probably better that regions are split primarily geographically. If the competition is too far away, there are a lot of people who won't be able to go. If there are more people in a region, and competition is tougher, then a) it is a bigger accomplishment to place well and b) you will likely rise to the level of your competition, and do better in other competitions.
However, that means the other regions are also a) less of an accomplishment and b) doesn't make you rise as much to do better in other competitions. But I do think the regions are okay, it represents the actual population and demographics of the United States. It's tougher to start a successful business in New York than in South Dakota.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Competitions are being approved and announced on a rolling basis as the become ready. No information regarding individual championships will be announced before the official announcements on the WCA site.