• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubingUSA Nationals 2018 - Salt Lake City, Utah (July 27-29)

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
SLC has such a large airport that its basically worlds 2018 now lolol.

I booked before signups opened, cause plane tickets were spiking and I was dumb..

Super excited to go and see all of you guys there!
Euro 2018: 38 countries
US nats 2018: 19 countries

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Time for goals??

Reasonable goals that probably could happen:
  • Sub-8 3x3 single
  • Sub-10 3x3 average
  • Sub-2 2x2 single
  • Sub-3.3 2x2 average
  • At least 2 sub-40 4x4 singles
  • Sub-42 4x4 average
  • Sub-1:15 5x5 single
  • Sub-1:20 5x5 average
  • Sub-2:30 6x6 single
  • Sub-2:45 6x6 average
  • 3BLD mean pleaaase
  • Sub-30 FMC single
  • Sub-33 FMC mean
  • Sub-16 OH single
  • Sub-20 OH average
  • Sub-40 feet single
  • Sub-45 feet average
  • Sub-11 Clock single
  • Sub-15 Clock average
  • Don't forget to compete in Megaminx
  • Sub-2 Pyraminx single
  • At least 2 sub-3 Pyraminx averages
  • Podium in Pyraminx
  • Unironically compete in Skewb
  • Compete in Square-1 at least once
  • Have a grand old time with friends
  • Explore Salt Lake City without getting too lost
  • Play cards occasionally
  • Vlog semi-regularly
  • Un-nemesize myself

Absolutely absurd goals that definitely won't happen but a man can dream:
  • Win Pyraminx
  • Podium in Feet
  • Make 3x3 round 3
  • Skip LS and OLL and PLL 5 times each in 3x3 round 3 and make finals

Reasonable goals are worth 1 point each, absolutely absurd goals are worth 5 points each. Therefore, overall goal:
  • Accumulate at least 18 points.

Last edited:

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Goal time i guess.

3x3 - Low 7 single, 9.5 average OR use Roux
2x2 - Sub 1.8 average, make finals(aka get good r3 scrambles)
4x4 - Sub 35 single, Sub 40 average, I don't care about this event anymore
5x5 - Sub 1:10 single, Sub 1:15 average (with yau ofc)
6x6 - Sub 2:05 single, Sub 2:10 mean (idk about this, we'll see what happens when i get the gts m)
7x7 - Sub 3:30 single, Sub 3:40 mean (seems easy)
3BLD - Don't suck (sub 35 single?) make finals with UF and good UBL comms. Not gonna go for a good mean bc it's nats
FMC - Sub 28.5 Mean, overall be happy with my solves
OH - Sub 14 average, make finals (with roux)
Feet - Sub 35 single, Sub 40 average (gonna practice a ton)
Clock - Sub 10 single, Sub 12 average
Mega - Sub 1 single, sub 1:05 average
Pyra - Sub 3 single, Sub 5 average
Skewb - Sub 2.88 average, sub 2 single that isn't plus 2d pls, Podium, Win at least one round
Sq1 - Use CSP in a solve, Sub 7 single, Mid 9 average, Make finals
4BLD - Sub 4 Single OR be satisfied with my attempts
Make 3 finals (was my goal at the beginning of the year)
Get a kinch >50 for the comp
Get kinch in general >49

Stretch Goals:
Podium in 2x2
Podium in FMC
Podium in Feet
Win Skewb
Podium in Squan
Keep Skewb NAR single at 1.43 bc we made an inside joke that someone got a 1.43 nar in october and now it actually happened.

Gomorrite

Registration closed today with 708/850 people registered. Competitor limit was not reached! Meanwhile the European Championship is even further from the limit with 628/1200. So those tough qualification times did their job or is it some other reason?

I think the biggest competition ever will be China Championship 2018, also with a 1200 competitor limit but somehow I suspect they will be able to reach it.

U

Underwatercuber

Goals :p
3x3 sub 10 single, sub 12 average
Clock PB average (sub 7?), make finals and maybe podium
3bld sub 50 single

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Goals:
2x2: sub 1.6 avg, podium or win
3x3: Sub 8 average, sub 7 single
4x4: sub 35 average
5x5: sub 1:10 average
6x6: sub 2:20 mean
7x7: sub 4 mean
Skewb: sub 3.7 average, make finals, top 10
pyra: sub 5 average
OH: Sub 16 average
Mega: sub 1 average
Sq-1: sub 13 average
Bld: sub 1:45 single
4bld: sub 9 single
FMC: sub 29 mean
Feet: sub 50 average, be top 16?

Really hyped for this one!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey all (or those that are going to Nationals)

I am leaving now for Utah, and I look forward to seeing you all there. I wish you all pleasant and safe travels, and hopefully I will be able to meet some of you there. God luck to all that will be competing.

And lastly, For all that are not going, I wish you all a wonderful week ahead and I look forward to rejoining the forums next week (since I will not be able to respond to anything on these forums until next week). Take care:)

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Nats was a blast this year! Thank you all for putting up such a great competition! Even though my times didn’t reflect my skill level, I made new friends and got to continue fostering friendships with in state friends. Thank you for this amazing experience!

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 - Low 7 single, 9.5 average OR use Roux eh pb average, whatever.
2x2 - Sub 1.8 average, make finals(aka get good r3 scrambles) Check bottom
4x4 - Sub 35 single, Sub 40 average, 4x4 is boring, but lol i got a 31 single which is really good.
5x5 - Sub 1:10 single, Sub 1:15 average (with yau ofc) yeah whatever this even sucks
6x6 - Sub 2:05 single, Sub 2:10 mean (idk about this, we'll see what happens when i get the gts m) lol used a shadow and did terribly
7x7 - Sub 3:30 single, Sub 3:40 mean (seems easy) oops i got a 4:26 first solve
3BLD - Don't suck (sub 35 single?) make finals with UF and good UBL comms. Check bottom
FMC - Sub 28.5 Mean, overall be happy with my solves I'm out of practice
OH - Sub 14 average, make finals (with roux) dumb, check bottom
Feet - Sub 35 single, Sub 40 average (gonna practice a ton) oops i didnt practice, but pretty happy with my results
Clock - Sub 10 single, Sub 12 average dnfed first solve so went safe on the others, got a counting 15
Mega - Sub 1 single, sub 1:05 average yeah idk i just failed
Pyra - Sub 3 single, Sub 5 average failed first round and should've made second round, check bottom
Skewb - Sub 2.88 average, sub 2 single that isn't plus 2d pls, Podium, Win at least one round check the bottom
Sq1 - Use CSP in a solve, Sub 7 single, Mid 9 average, Make finals uhhhhh check the bottom
4BLD - Sub 4 Single OR be satisfied with my attempts idk i was tired
Make 3 finals (was my goal at the beginning of the year) 0 finals, but easily could've made 3, ill explain at the bottom
Get a kinch >50 for the comp not even close
Get kinch in general >49 idk if this happened yet

Stretch Goals:
Podium in 2x2
Podium in FMC
Podium in Feet
Win Skewb
Podium in Squan

Keep Skewb NAR single at 1.43 bc we made an inside joke that someone got a 1.43 nar in october and now it actually happened. - lol

Here's the dumb parts of this.

2x2: second round, plus 2 and all i needed was like a 3.5 on the last solve to make the next round. Layer is U R U' R' and i one look wrong to get a 6...

3BLD: Super slow solves all triple dnfed. Finals was only 50 so it was super easy.

OH: My average r1 was
17 - slow turning
15 - messed up at the end and forced a bad case, probably should've been low 13
30 - didn't solve fb
22 - did cmll 3 times
13 - meh

Could've made finals with a decent r2 average but i didn't make it.

Pyra:
Failed the average. Last solve was really close to a plus 2. I didn't think it was a plus 2 but the judge called a delegate over. Delegate ruled plus 2. After that i took my pyra and 2 people tell me that it wasn't a plus 2. That cost me the next round and a potentially good r2 average.

Skewb:
Can't turn very well as usual. Bad averages in first 2 rounds and then plus 2d out of finals. There were a ton of easy scrambles that I didn't get. Very surprised that there weren't any nars though.

Squan: r2 was going ok, and i used csp in a solve. first 3 solves were 10 9 11. 4th solve i have to start over at some point and i get a 22. Last solve was going well. I got to Opp Opp really early in the solve. I do Opp Opp, put the cube down. It's a 7. Except it's a DNF by 10/-10/. Easily would've made finals and podium was really easy.

I should've made skewb and squan and i could've easily made 2x2 OH or 3BLD finals if i didn't fail. Overall, my results for the comp sucked.

Even though it sounds like the comp was a disaster for me, I had a ton of fun. I got to meet a lot of people i wanted to meet and I was surprised at the amount of people who knew who I was. It was a really fun comp.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Well I just got back from Nats yesterday, and what a competition that was:) I had a really great time there, was happy to have met a lot of new cubers (either those on these forums or elsewhere), and as well as meeting up with friends. I was also happy to have witnessed several records (either WR/continental record etc) watch all the great cubers compete and for myself doing better in almost all the events then I have in the past.

Thank you all for a great competition and I look forward to next years (if I can go of course).