• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubicle Labs Premium Cubes

deadcat

Does this basically mean that you no longer need any accuracy when turning?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
could the magnets losing strength over time be an issue?

NdFeB magnets are superior over AlNiCo magnets in that their magnetism lasts on the order of centuries.
The magnets are also coated to ensure that shock does not depolarize them, and their operating temperatures are so high that for heat to demagnetize, the plastic would melt and combust first.

That was also researched, because we want to ensure a good product!

Tesla

This is very exciting stuff!! I love neodymium magnets, I have a large collection of them including some quite high grade ones. I actually tried to put some small weaker ones in my fangshi once, but like you say, it's nowhere near as simple as that with all the torque considerations. I didn't even attempt to pursue real research into it, but I'm so glad to see that you have. I just placed my order on the cubicle 3 days ago though. I wish I'd known about this, I would've held off on it ):

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is very exciting stuff!! I love neodymium magnets, I have a large collection of them including some quite high grade ones. I actually tried to put some small weaker ones in my fangshi once, but like you say, it's nowhere near as simple as that with all the torque considerations. I didn't even attempt to pursue real research into it, but I'm so glad to see that you have. I just placed my order on the cubicle 3 days ago though. I wish I'd known about this, I would've held off on it ):

If you're in the US, you'd get free shipping. Discounted everywhere else.

WCA
2013BARK01
This is literally the most interesting thing to happen to 3x3 cube design since pretty much the AoLong came out. Thank you for doing something different!
Hopefully the price goes down from 50 dollars or I'm not probably getting one. Interesting concept, has great potential.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
This is pretty awesome. I had thought of this, and even posted something about it a couple of months ago, probably after you started working on it. I'm having trouble imagining that it would make as much difference on a 3x3 as on 5x5+, but maybe I'm imagining wrong. I'm also having trouble imagining what could possibly be the next big step after a little bit of refinement of this idea.

Abo

Have you thought about sq-1 at all for making a special version? I found some magnets in my room and threw them in the slice layer, was pretty effective but I feel like if you worked hard enough to figure out a way to do the U and D layers with magnets, that still worked off of any orientation, so probably a ring of 12, it could be really good I imagine.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is pretty awesome. I had thought of this, and even posted something about it a couple of months ago, probably after you started working on it. I'm having trouble imagining that it would make as much difference on a 3x3 as on 5x5+, but maybe I'm imagining wrong. I'm also having trouble imagining what could possibly be the next big step after a little bit of refinement of this idea.

Once we've finished releasing a few products and stabilize the work flow and have more time, we've got a few SICK ideas. I believe we're not even close to the limits of speedsolving.

Years ago, we thought it wouldn't get any better than the zhanchi, and we were wrong. Optimism about puzzles tends to be correct! :D

Have you thought about sq-1 at all for making a special version? I found some magnets in my room and threw them in the slice layer, was pretty effective but I feel like if you worked hard enough to figure out a way to do the U and D layers with magnets, that still worked off of any orientation, so probably a ring of 12, it could be really good I imagine.

I actually have an idea on how to make the Sq-1 work now.
Brb O_____O

YouTube
Visit Channel
Once we've finished releasing a few products and stabilize the work flow and have more time, we've got a few SICK ideas. I believe we're not even close to the limits of speedsolving.

Years ago, we thought it wouldn't get any better than the zhanchi, and we were wrong. Optimism about puzzles tends to be correct! :D

I actually have an idea on how to make the Sq-1 work now.
Brb O_____O
This is really awesome, keep up the excellent work! Any chance those ideas include megaminx?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

That's awesome. You've definitely got my curiosity up. I honestly can't imagine how 3x3s could ever get more than incrementally better. I've got an Aoshi, and there is definitely room for a quantum leap there. I got to handle a cubic Aofu briefly, and even though that's better than the Aoshi there is still room for improvement there, too. I'll be getting a Weichuang in a couple weeks, which according to Kevin Hayes, anyway, is the best on the market, so I'll see. But I'm guessing even that isn't invisible yet.