• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cube4you A and D type diy comparison

NickNack

From my experience, the type D's came horrible, and were even worse than my storebought cubes. However, after lubrication, they became the most amazing cubes I've ever got my hands on. The screws are on as tight as possible and the pieces glide smoothly against each other, and they cut corners wonderfully.

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've got mine slightly looser than the max tension, and it's awesome. I remember when I first opened it and handed it my Dad (because it was assembled) he laughed because he wasn't optimsitic beforehand regarding their quality, but now I lubed, changed the core and adjusted the tension, it's awesome.

Also, type A with D core is awesome too. Possibly more awesome than normal type As.

povatix

I put an old type A core into my type d and its not as good as i thought it would be. Its super loose and pops very easily. Also the type d screws just can't seem to tighten in type a cores, so i put the old type a screws with type d springs into the type a core. Anyone know where i am going wrong?

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I put an old type A core into my type d and its not as good as i thought it would be. Its super loose and pops very easily. Also the type d screws just can't seem to tighten in type a cores, so i put the old type a screws with type d springs into the type a core. Anyone know where i am going wrong?
Are you saying your Type D screws won't go in all the way? That problem is probably coming from you Type A core. Get another old Type A core, and try it.

BinomDreher

Got my Type D today too - and after lubrication and re-fixing the screws (to max) the cube is just....very loose Oo I mean surely it turns very easily but it seems just a bit too loose to me cause by being so loose, it locks more often or it makes slight moves on the D/L/R faces i didnt want to and therefore locks a bit. (i was used to an "ok-twisting-black-old-type-a" by now).
Will I profit from "sacrificing" my type-A core i also got today or will it be the same after changing the cores?
I wonder If you can switch back the cores after trying that or will the different screws (of D) sort of "destroy" the core for the screws of type A (if anyone got that :rolleyes:)

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Got my Type D today too - and after lubrication and re-fixing the screws (to max) the cube is just....very loose Oo I mean surely it turns very easily but it seems just a bit too loose to me cause by being so loose, it locks more often or it makes slight moves on the D/L/R faces i didnt want to and therefore locks a bit. (i was used to an "ok-twisting-black-old-type-a" by now).
Will I profit from "sacrificing" my type-A core i also got today or will it be the same after changing the cores?
I wonder If you can switch back the cores after trying that or will the different screws (of D) sort of "destroy" the core for the screws of type A (if anyone got that :rolleyes:)
Yes you can't get screws far into the Type D core. Even at its maximum it's still very loose.

However, you can get the screws all the way in an old Type A core (don't know about the new one). So then you will have a very tight cube if you screw it in all the way, and a much better one too.

Your Type A core will be fine unless you re-screw like 10+ times (I had to learn that the hard way:mad::mad::mad::mad:)

BinomDreher

I recently received a white (old)type A, but somehow this one is competely different than my previous black (old)type A i already had. The new white turns awful/not smooth, and also it makes some "rattling" sound while turning. And when i have it in my hands, the corners feel also a little loose (they also rattle^^).
I already adjusted the tension but i didnt work out - does anyone know what this could be ? :(
I mean, the white ones cant be that different from the blacks!?

Last edited:

BinomDreher

Hmmm.... does it matter which way i insert the edges?^^ (cause they will be turned around while cubing anyway) Other than that i dont know how I could have assembled it wrong.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got some D’s and C’s and I now realized that everyone was lying to me except Harris Chan. :p
The D sucked so badly out of the box. After the lube, it suddenly became real floaty, but it’s a little choppy and locks up a bit more that type A, it’s OK, but not amazing.
THE CORES DOES NOT MATTER!!!!!!!
I changed the cores, yes, I actually got the old type A yellow cores. It is hard to find the link on cube4you, but they still sell it. It feels not any different.

Everyone who says type C is slower than type A, you are wrong. It is faster, but extremely choppy. If Nakajima uses the type C (according to Chinese cubers in another thread, type C is Rubik’s DIY), I can understand why his finger tricks are so weird. The cube is not smooth, you kinda have to adopt a choppy style.

Now here the ultimate advice:
Type D cubies are the worst cubies ever! Replace them with Type C cubies and it makes a significant difference. The result is the best cube ever. It feels like a dream everything moves perfect, smooth, faster than type A, C, or D, and doesn’t pop! At a decently tight tension, it is faster than all other cubes at loose tension.
I haven’t timed myself, but I think I can probably sub-2 on any PLL with it. And my T perm is probably twice as fast as when I used a Type A (1.7).
C core with D piece is pretty nice too. It's like type C, but beyond choppy.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got some D’s and C’s and I now realized that everyone was lying to me except Harris Chan. :p
The D sucked so badly out of the box. After the lube, it suddenly became real floaty, but it’s a little choppy and locks up a bit more that type A, it’s OK, but not amazing.
THE CORES DOES NOT MATTER!!!!!!!
I changed the cores, yes, I actually got the old type A yellow cores. It is hard to find the link on cube4you, but they still sell it. It feels not any different.

Everyone who says type C is slower than type A, you are wrong. It is faster, but extremely choppy. If Nakajima uses the type C (according to Chinese cubers in another thread, type C is Rubik’s DIY), I can understand why his finger tricks are so weird. The cube is not smooth, you kinda have to adopt a choppy style.

Now here the ultimate advice:
Type D cubies are the worst cubies ever! Replace them with Type C cubies and it makes a significant difference. The result is the best cube ever. It feels like a dream everything moves perfect, smooth, faster than type A, C, or D, and doesn’t pop! At a decently tight tension, it is faster than all other cubes at loose tension.
I haven’t timed myself, but I think I can probably sub-2 on any PLL with it. And my T perm is probably twice as fast as when I used a Type A (1.7).
C core with D piece is pretty nice too. It's like type C, but beyond choppy.
I'm thinking you got the bad kind of Type D. The reason why you think the cubies are so bad is because the plastic is not a good quality.

And with the Type D core and old Type A core difference, I completely disagree with you. A Type D core you can't get screws very far in = pops. Old Type A core you can. A loose cube and a tight cube have a difference.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, the cube was quite good and plastic was durable before doing anything to the cube. But type C cubies make it so much better.
The type D core was perfect. Before the replacement, it came with perfect tension. There was nothing wrong with it. The type C cubies simply get rid of the choppiness and all lock ups and makes it feel even more frictionless. After getting a type C, I'm convinced that a type C core is of higher quality than old yellow core. No types ever really popped much for me every since after Princeton open.

n00bcubix

WCA
2008JUNH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is sort of off topic but I think type d's are replilca's of edisons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they feel the same, but edisons are much much mujch much much faster, the new screws are somewhat like the edisons, the BLACK core is the same(not that it really matters...), and it's just really the same!
But Edison>type d :D