• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube Signed by Ernő Rubik

BluNerd

I attended a math conference which Ernő Rubik was at. I got to talk to him and got him to sign a cube. Probably not looking to sell it anytime soon, but I'm curious as to how much it's worth. Any ideas?

Attachments

• rubikssigned.jpeg
    rubikssigned.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 28

Hazel

Premium Member
Honestly, it's probably just worth however much you paid for the cube minus the usage. Autographs tend not to be worth much unless they're super difficult to obtain, which this is not. Sorry!

BluNerd

Honestly, it's probably just worth however much you paid for the cube minus the usage. Autographs tend not to be worth much unless they're super difficult to obtain, which this is not. Sorry!
I have yet to see any others listed anywhere, and it seems he makes public appearances very rarely.

matthewc1202

I attended a math conference which Ernő Rubik was at. I got to talk to him and got him to sign a cube. Probably not looking to sell it anytime soon, but I'm curious as to how much it's worth. Any ideas?
How much do you want for it im interested im not gonna spend to much

BluNerd

How much do you want for it im interested im not gonna spend to much
I'm not really sure. I feel like this is something that is likely to increase in value over time, which is why I'm fairly hesitant to sell it right now. After I posted this, a friend who attended the same conference and also got a cube signed told him someone had valued it at $300-400 (I don't think that this was even an offer, just what he valued it at, so it might be unreasonable) which I'm based on what you said is higher than what you'd be willing to pay. I am going to ask around and try to get an accurate representation of what it's worth before deciding what I should do with it. I'm not in a rush to sell it (or even sure that I want to sell it), especially if it's not worth much. It is very unique, I've only been able to find two other people online with cubes signed by him (one of which whose cube's signature was smeared off)

Basically, someone estimated $300-400 for it so I want to do more research. If anything it's only going to gain value.

matthewc1202

I'm not really sure. I feel like this is something that is likely to increase in value over time, which is why I'm fairly hesitant to sell it right now. After I posted this, a friend who attended the same conference and also got a cube signed told him someone had valued it at $300-400 (I don't think that this was even an offer, just what he valued it at, so it might be unreasonable) which I'm based on what you said is higher than what you'd be willing to pay. I am going to ask around and try to get an accurate representation of what it's worth before deciding what I should do with it. I'm not in a rush to sell it (or even sure that I want to sell it), especially if it's not worth much. It is very unique, I've only been able to find two other people online with cubes signed by him (one of which whose cube's signature was smeared off)

Basically, someone estimated $300-400 for it so I want to do more research. If anything it's only going to gain value.
no thanks

Galcor117

$300-$400 is pure bs

The most its value will rise is by $20, and that’s probably when Mr Rubik dies.
And it’s a Rubik’s brand. If you really want to sell it, I wouldn’t do it here

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

BluNerd

$300-$400 is pure bs

The most its value will rise is by $20, and that’s probably when Mr Rubik dies.
And it’s a Rubik’s brand. If you really want to sell it, I wouldn’t do it here
Thanks a bunch for your input! Like I said, I'm not really trying to sell it, I'm just curious as to how much it's worth. And I know that it's not exactly related to speedsolving but I figured that this was a good place to put it due to the amount of people on this forum (I went with a Rubik's brand because I figured the speedsolving abilities didn't really matter, especially due to the fact that it's never been been so much as turned once and I don't intend on ever doing so). Regardless of value it's a really cool display item so it probably gives me more value to just keep it.

Galcor117

I agree.
Signatures are only valuable to the person who received them firsthand. They are supposed to be a memoir of you meeting that person. Selling it to someone else loses that meaning

BluNerd

I found this on eBay. It sold a few months ago for about $95.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-V...396314?hash=item4d7a5cfd5a:g:hucAAOSwLw1baxgz

It's an original 1980 unopened box signed by him, though - he signed the box and it's unopened. My guess is that one is worth more than this one, but I guess what really matters is what people are willing to pay.
Thanks for finding that! Personally, I think it makes more sense to just keep it because it's a nice little souvenir of meeting Mr. Rubik. (see my earlier reply)

BluNerd

The reality is that this is probably about a $25 item. There's not much demand for a signed cube and the appeal is very, very limited.
Yeah, I agree, though I have seen a significant gain in the amount of cubers since I started which was only a few years ago (evidenced by its increasing popularity at my school and by the rapid growth of cubing youtube channels recently). I feel like cubing is one of those things that for a large majority of people kind of pops in and out, and maybe at some point it this cube will be worth significantly more than what it is now due to this. For now it's just a cool momento.

matthewc1202

Yeah, I agree, though I have seen a significant gain in the amount of cubers since I started which was only a few years ago (evidenced by its increasing popularity at my school and by the rapid growth of cubing youtube channels recently). I feel like cubing is one of those things that for a large majority of people kind of pops in and out, and maybe at some point it this cube will be worth significantly more than what it is now due to this. For now it's just a cool momento.
If i was really going to buy it i would spent AT MOST 40 dollars lol