• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Hey everyone, I have a question. I always have black dust on the inside of my cube. I clean out my cube piece by piece and a week of speedcubing later, the black dust comes back. I am aware that some silicone based lubricants are the cause of the black dust. I was wondering if there is a way to lessen or prevent the black dust from formng inside my cube. It is anoying because it slows down my cube. Is there anything i can do?

Thanks

chue.hsien

my friend told me that the black dust is the result of the washer cutting/grinding into the screw.. you guys are using DIYs right? my green face middle piece also has this problem.

VooX

Removing Dust

There is dirt which is coarse and black which gets in your cube. There is also the dust caused by the plastic rubbing on plastic.

Given that this will never stop happening, maintenance is the best solution. Occasionally I take my cube apart and wipe it with a microfibre cloth. These cloths are the thicker ones you can use to wipe eyeglasses or computer screens with.

After a good wiping, I lube my cube with a liquid silicone fluid. I pop an edge, fill the small hole halfway with lube, and work it in. I repeat with an edge on an opposite side of the cube.

Silicone seals the very small pores in plastic. A thin film also builds on the outside of the plastic and leaves a very smooth surface. When every piece is smooth like this your cube will turn great.

Depending on how often you cube, and how you carry your cube, you may need to this fairly often to keep your cube smooth and quick.

VooX

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is dirt which is coarse and black which gets in your cube. There is also the dust caused by the plastic rubbing on plastic.

Given that this will never stop happening, maintenance is the best solution. Occasionally I take my cube apart and wipe it with a microfibre cloth. These cloths are the thicker ones you can use to wipe eyeglasses or computer screens with.

After a good wiping, I lube my cube with a liquid silicone fluid. I pop an edge, fill the small hole halfway with lube, and work it in. I repeat with an edge on an opposite side of the cube.

Silicone seals the very small pores in plastic. A thin film also builds on the outside of the plastic and leaves a very smooth surface. When every piece is smooth like this your cube will turn great.

Depending on how often you cube, and how you carry your cube, you may need to this fairly often to keep your cube smooth and quick.

VooX

that's right. but it happened to me that after lubing...i got a too smooth cube. i couldn't control it anymore. i don't know if this happened to others. maybe i don't like too loose cubes.

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
just pop off the center caps and tighten it then. since it's too smooth, i'm assuming it's a DIY

i know. but if i tighten it too much, then it will lock up more often. it's a balance between these two. if the screw it's too tight, then the cube gets locked up if the "cuttings" are not perfectly matched. anyway...imo the cube is best after a week since it was cubed and worked out a bit

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my friend told me that the black dust is the result of the washer cutting/grinding into the screw
yeah that's right. at least this is what i noticed too. the black dust is actually very fine milled plastic. you won't find black dust on a white diy :D

actually I get black dust in my white DIY from rubiks.com (the one with flat centers)

RealDeal

When I clean my cubes, i just disassemble it and just put the edge pieces and corner pieces into a plastic container filled halfway with warm water. I then close the container and shake it for a good 30 seconds. I then clean the pieces with a q-tip and dry it with a towel, For the core i just use a q-tip dipped in warm water to clean it and use a towel to dry it.