• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cross + correct corner already..?

arewhyayeenn

if you've made the first cross already and you happen to already have one corner (or more) in the right spot would it be more efficient to just leave it and solve with the second layer beginner's method after all the other f2l sides are solved, or just move it out and solve the whole second layer with the f2l?

let me know if you can't understand this question and i just sound crazy.

noahk

if you've made the first cross already and you happen to already have one corner (or more) in the right spot would it be more efficient to just leave it and solve with the second layer beginner's method after all the other f2l sides are solved, or just move it out and solve the whole second layer with the f2l?

let me know if you can't understand this question and i just sound crazy.

i have read on this site to solve the correct corner first using the keyhole method.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Let's say the corner is DFR. Use D/D' to move it out of the way, find the E layer edge that belongs there (FR edge), put it at FU, use RU'R' to insert it, do the inverse of the D/D' move you made earlier, first pair is now done. This is a common way to make an extended cross.

P

pappas

I always use keyhole for these cases unless its the last f2l slot then you have to do some crappy thing. :p

ninjabob7

I solve it like this: if the DFR corner is solved and the dBR slot is free, I'll align the FR edge on the right, then do R2 U' R' U R2. Keyhole method is probably better since it only needs a free corner and not a specific free slot. I should start using it actually.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Keyhole is definately a good option if the corresponding edge is in the U layer. D move, 3 move insertion of the edge, undo D move. Usually I do the D's with my left ring. Sometimes you can end with a u or u' (double layer) to combine with a cube rotation.

If the corresponding edge is in an adjacent slot in the E layer, there are some other ways. For example, if the FRD corner is solved, and the corresponding edge is in BR (correctly oriented), you could do R2 U' R2 U R2. If it's not correctly oriented, you can do something like z' B' R' U R B z, or F' R' U R F.

maggot

if your cross is done, its efficient to solve that slot first if you find the edge. even if you dont notice it until later, you can use a keyhole to solve or you can use your beginner method to solve the pair.

S

Systemdertoten

What's a keyhole.
2f733_keyhole.jpg

Or

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keyhole is when you temporarily move the solved corner and replace it with a different, unimportant corner. Then you can easily insert the edge and not worry about the solved corner. Then, when the edge is placed, you move the solved corner back into place, thus solving the F2L slot.

That's the vague definition.

Ordos_Koala

I use 2-gen alg for it, (DFR slot, corner is in place, edge is oriented in UR, that means you have a one color line from top to bottom on right) R'U'R'U'R'URUR
it's pretty easy and i find it very useful :)