• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Could Petrus be viable if you use ZBLL?

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
I was recently expanding my knowledge of methodology of the 3x3 and tried the petrus method. The block building is easy and fast, and the edge orientation is not hard. The way Lars Petrus teaches the last layer on his website seems very inefficient even with the “advanced” section. After completing EO and F2L it sets up a ZBLL every time. It would compress a lot of moves and potentially be very fast with practice. Color neutrality is easy to take advantage of as well.

Hazel

Premium Member
It isn't that Petrus is bad, it's just that there are better options. Petrus with ZBLL vs ZZ with ZBLL isn't that much of a contest... You can get fast with Petrus, @2180161 is proof of that, but it's just much more difficult to reach the same speeds.

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
I see, it was just an interesting thought. Just wondering, what about ZZ makes it faster than Petrus?

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it’s cool you’re also interested in methodology and stuff like that. I’m not super concerned with speed so I’ve only got 3 goals: average sub 10, be method neutral with CFOP Roux ZZ and maybe Peters, and use and master full ZBLL

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
Thanks! I average 10-14 depending on how focused I am during and average, and I’m slowly learning ZBLL by each COLL set in a given set. I’ve learned about 30 ZBLLs now so that’s cool
Yeah, that’s really cool, I would love to be method neutral one day, but I’m not consistently sub-30 with even CFOP yet so it will be a while.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Dont worry, you get there soon enough! Something I’d like to stress the importance of is learning good fingertrick habits now. I have some bad habits I’ve gotta break and I gotta learn some better fingertricks which is gonna be a pain

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
I’d say most of my finger tricks are good. The only one I can foresee being a problem isn’t I do D2 with ring-middle in stead of pinky-ring, so a-perms could be a bit faster. I could probably get better faster if I actually practiced, but do a lot of different cubes and things and spread my focus a lot.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’d say most of my finger tricks are good. The only one I can foresee being a problem isn’t I do D2 with ring-middle in stead of pinky-ring, so a-perms could be a bit faster. I could probably get better faster if I actually practiced, but do a lot of different cubes and things and spread my focus a lot.
That’s good. I can do D2 with my right but I can’t do a d2 with my left. It’s pretty annoying