• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cool things that happened during a solve

Lykos

Hi,

my friend and me often consider "style points" more important than pure speed. E.g. doing edge control, then winter variation and then skipping OLL is cool enough that we try to do it even if we get a bit slower. Sometimes we had solves where something exceptionally cool happened. That gave us way more satisfaction than a new PB, even if the time wasn't that good in the end. Some examples:

- X cross. I know for some people that is standard, but since I managed to do an X cross during inspection only 3 times, it is still special for me.

- It happened two times to me that I switched the bottom layer during CFOP. I.e. white was the bottom layer, but at some point when two slots were solved, I noticed that if I change red to be the bottom, three slots are solved. So I did that. I lost a few seconds thinking "Wait a minute." and I was confused about the colors afterwards, so my time was mediocre, but I was amazed anyway.

- Once I saw during inspection that I can easily build a 2x2x3 block. Since the 2x2x3 block is the main con of the Petrus method and I got it for free, I decided to give it a try. Again not my best time, but it felt like an awesome idea.

Do you have any examples of such things that happened to you? Any funny coincidences or strategy switches?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TheoLyh

WCA
2016LYHO01
ive began to orient the edges while doing F2L and ive learned some of the easy winter variations. Then there is a good chanse to get a LL skip ;-)

TMarshall

WCA
2014MARS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
This has happened to me a few times, but when I'm about to do my last slot, I notice I have a 2x2 block on the top. I'll them switch my bottom have color (I'm Cn), do the last layer, and then finish the solve. It's usually slower, but it's always fun.

WCA
2014GROV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This happened to me a long time ago but its probably the coolest thing ive ever done on an official solve. I did not know wv then and during the solve came across the easiest to recognize case (all edges and corneres oriented) and i just thought there had to be a way to skip since it was all oriented and so i just did a bunch of moves I thought shoudlve been done and I skipped pll.

Kudz

Using Roux

After two block you can force 'cfop' LL.

I do those things quite often, but still I think, that doing "standard solves" is faster, if I haven't predicted the switch before.

On the other hand I love doing some vorss ases on left, switching methods etc. It might be good technique, but it's hard imo.