• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cong's Design 4x4

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
The review is up on the review section of the forums. I think I'm probably one of the first people to actually have the cube but I could be wrong. The review has been up for almost a week I'm surprised nobody has seen it yet lolz. But yeah, incredibly disappointing release

Mosha

NAM3RGb.jpg

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you think they mean just the ones they sent to reviewers had this problem, or does that include the first batch to actually be sold? Probably the former, but I'm worried with how they say 'the new batch' as if to imply it's one they're only just sending out. Probably just a case of imperfect English tho.

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So mine just arrived today. And it's ehh, not that great. Does anyone know where on the pieces the moulding error affected, so I can check when I dissasemble it?

And if mine does turn out to be one of the defective ones, how possible is it that YJ could send me a replacement one if I contacted them?

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
So mine just arrived today. And it's ehh, not that great. Does anyone know where on the pieces the moulding error affected, so I can check when I dissasemble it?

And if mine does turn out to be one of the defective ones, how possible is it that YJ could send me a replacement one if I contacted them?

I know that the cubicle will send replacement parts to all known defective puzzles ordered from their shop, but idk if other stores have that relationship with YJ to do so. I assume that other stores will have replacement parts available for purchase, as well as the cubicle.

Side note, I don't think the new center pieces will make the cube that much better. The main thing that will happen is that the inner layers will probably feel much lighter thus be faster or "less sluggish" at least. The feel of the cube really turns me off now.

Coolio

SouthernCuber

WCA
2016HAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Im pretty sure its in the center pieces but its not that some of them are defective, im pretty sure all the ones being sold right now have the problem so it most likely has it but im not 100% on that

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I just got one and and I don't see what everyone is talking about. moving around the middle slice feels a bit sluggish but not crazy catching. Is there something I can do to know what specific catching people are experiencing. Also, I have heard it is a molding issue on the center pieces... Does anyone know what it is and if it can just be sanded?

SouthernCuber

WCA
2016HAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I just got one and and I don't see what everyone is talking about. moving around the middle slice feels a bit sluggish but not crazy catching. Is there something I can do to know what specific catching people are experiencing. Also, I have heard it is a molding issue on the center pieces... Does anyone know what it is and if it can just be sanded?

Try reverse corner cutting, if you dont get annoying lock ups and sometimes the centers half popping out then maybe you got one that doesnt have the problem, also the thing with the mold in the centers is something thats supossed to be hollow so you cant really sand it down.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try reverse corner cutting, if you dont get annoying lock ups and sometimes the centers half popping out then maybe you got one that doesnt have the problem, also the thing with the mold in the centers is something thats supossed to be hollow so you cant really sand it down.

My reverse corner cutting is great and tensions are looser than my other 4x4s. I'll mess around with it. I have another MeiYu on its way so I will compare those and see if there are some that are not as bad.

Edit: I am in love with this cube. It blows everyone of my other 4x4s out of the water. The corner cutting in both directions is amazing. The inner layers are a bit slow but the out ones are amazingly fast making the 3x3 stage super easy. I haven't lubed it yet but we will see how it is as time goes on.

Last edited:
WCA
2014BLOC01
Edit: I am in love with this cube. It blows everyone of my other 4x4s out of the water. The corner cutting in both directions is amazing. The inner layers are a bit slow but the out ones are amazingly fast making the 3x3 stage super easy. I haven't lubed it yet but we will see how it is as time goes on.

I too am in love with mine, I think we just happened to get lucky with the ones we got. I broke every 4x4 PB with this thing in the first 150 solves, and tonight I dumped a bunch of traxxas 50k in it, and broke most of them all over again. As added bonus, the inner layers are now a lot faster than they were. This thing is easy my main, and IMHO it's probably the best 4x4 that I've ever used.