• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ChaoTimer Released! (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch Timer)

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
How did you get the ipod touch 3rd gen to update to 5.1.1? My itunes only lets me go up to 4.2.1?

I just really want to try the app because the other cube timer apps keep lagging and crashing on my ipod.

you sure you have a 3rd gen? iTunes only lets an iPod run on software ios's higher. if you have a 3rd gen it should be able to get ios5

kilwap147

I have a question. I've been using the app for a few weeks now, and it's great. I like what you've done with the latest updates. I especially like the WCA timer mode.

But under Stats, one option is to "Copy to Pasteboard." I clicked on that, but I couldn't find where it copies it to! =p what does it copy, and where does it go?

Also--a question for anybody--what's the difference between old style and random state scrambles??

Also, I just did my first couple of solves with the new updated version (1.2), and it kinda wigged out when I tried to add a +2. I stopped the timer before I finished my PLL =/ but once I pressed the +2 icon, it says that my time was 596:01:23.647 0.O

Last edited by a moderator:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also--a question for anybody--what's the difference between old style and random state scrambles??

Don't quote me on this, but I think old style scrambles are 25 randomly generated moves, whereas random state scrambles pick a position and then find the optimal alg to generate that case, make sense?

supergin

WCA
2011LIJI01
I have a question. I've been using the app for a few weeks now, and it's great. I like what you've done with the latest updates. I especially like the WCA timer mode.

But under Stats, one option is to "Copy to Pasteboard." I clicked on that, but I couldn't find where it copies it to! =p what does it copy, and where does it go?

Also, I just did my first couple of solves with the new updated version (1.2), and it kinda wigged out when I tried to add a +2. I stopped the timer before I finished my PLL =/ but once I pressed the +2 icon, it says that my time was 596:01:23.647 0.O

After clicking Copy to Pasterboard, it copies your stats to the pasteboard, and you can paste it to anywhere. For example, in your "Notes", long press and then press paste, you can see what it copied.

kilwap147

After clicking Copy to Pasterboard, it copies your stats to the pasteboard, and you can paste it to anywhere. For example, in your "Notes", long press and then press paste, you can see what it copied.

Thanks a lot! That makes sense. I still need to figure out that other problem, though...although that might just require another update.

Oh well! For now, there is no such thing as a +2 then!! :p

Don't quote me on this, but I think old style scrambles are 25 randomly generated moves, whereas random state scrambles pick a position and then find the optimal alg to generate that case, make sense?

Yeah, that sort of makes sense. So, which would be more more effective then? Or, I guess what I mean is, which one is the standard used for WCA?

Last edited:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, that sort of makes sense. So, which would be more more effective then? Or, I guess what I mean is, which one is the standard used for WCA?

They both work. 3x3-wise, the WCA used to use Old style (random moves) but now they use random state scramblers. It's different for different puzzles.

WCA Regulations said:
4b) Puzzles must be scrambled using a computer-generated random scramble sequence or scrambled position, that must be kept secret for all but the scramblers.
4e) Competitors must solve the same scramble sequences or scrambled positions per group of competitors.
4f) The number of moves to scramble a puzzle must be:
Puzzle Scramble length (Half Turn Metric) Program
2x2x2 Cube Random position
Rubik's Cube Random position Cube Explorer version 4.30 or higher
4x4x4 Cube 40 moves
5x5x5 Cube 60 moves
6x6x6 Cube 80 moves
7x7x7 Cube 100 moves
Clock Random position
with random pin positions at the end
Megaminx 70 moves
Square-1 Random position
Pyraminx Random position

zhmeigen

WCA
2013ZHAN22
I may write for android in the future, but I will focus on this app now. I know there is a powerful android timer, even more powerful than mine. However, it is also written by a Chinese cuber and unfortunately, it doesn't support English. What a pity. :(
English is already supported. :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just bought the app. Thanks! This was just what I was looking for for my iPad. I already bought a few other timers but none saved the scramble. I had a PB on one of those timers this week and I could not lookup what the scramble was. I really hated that. This timer is awesome! I will rate it with 5 stars!

spectre013

Best IOS Timer I have come across.

Would love to be able to delete any solve rather that just the last solve.

All and all a great App.

Thanks