• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Carnegie Mellon Fall 2013

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.cubingusa.com/cmufall2013/

Date: November 23, 2013
Carnegie Mellon University
5032 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15289

Events:
2x2 - 1 round
3x3 - 2 rounds
4x4 - 1 round
6x6 - 1 round
7x7 - 1 round
3x3 OH - 2 rounds
Megaminx - 1 round
Square-1 - 1 round
Rubik's Clock - 2 rounds
5x5 Blindfolded - 2 attempts

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting events list - no 3BLD but 5BLD? Now I have to learn 5BLD. :( Maybe I should start by learning 4BLD.
I like to mix things up. 3x3 and Clock are the only events guaranteed to be at all of my comps. :p
Most of the other events, I try to hold once a (school) year, but not necessarily every other comp, since maybe some people can make it in the fall but not the spring, or vice versa (like the TJ club!). 3BLD was held in Fall 2012 and will probably return in Spring 2014. 4BLD, 5BLD, MultiBLD, FMC, and Feet I can probably only hold one of at each comp, so this time it was 5BLD's turn. (So far, 4BLD was held in Fall 2012 and Feet was held in Spring 2013. The Spring 2012 comp doesn't really count since that was my first time organizing by myself and so I played it safe.)

iEnjoyCubing

WCA
2011VALL01
2 days! I'll be selling a few cubes at the competition:

Black 57mm Fangshi - Lubed, few solves done - $7
Black Shengshou Megaminx - Lubed, few solves done - $7
Black Ultimate Lubix GuHong v1 - Broken in but looks/feels completely new - $15

Let me know if you are interested in any in advance and I'll save them for you.

iEnjoyCubing

WCA
2011VALL01
2nd 2x2 scramble must've been good... MUST SEEEEEE.

For the first group it was. Was like a 5 move layer with no AUF. I don't have the scramble though, solution was something like R U2 R U R'.

Also, thanks to Evan for organizing the competition, Jim for delegating and to everyone that volunteered for judging/etc (and to Kit for bringing the equipment).

also 2nd round of clock lol

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going!

Goal: Sub-30 OH avg5.
Achievement unlocked. Got a nice OH 25.xx avg and 21.xx single. :)

Thanks to Evan, Jim, and Kit for a fine comp...I think the added structure to the judging worked well, it seemed to clean things up and ran more smoothly.

I like that Pittsburgh always has unusual/rare events, but I want to encourage that the core events not be neglected; having only two rounds of 3x3 just seemed wrong to me, and I wasn't the only one. I am biased because I am a purist, but I like to see 3x3, OH, and 3BLD fully represented at any comp--go nuts on the rest of it, have as much clock as you desire, but keep the core. Just my thoughts.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like that Pittsburgh always has unusual/rare events, but I want to encourage that the core events not be neglected; having only two rounds of 3x3 just seemed wrong to me, and I wasn't the only one. I am biased because I am a purist, but I like to see 3x3, OH, and 3BLD fully represented at any comp--go nuts on the rest of it, have as much clock as you desire, but keep the core. Just my thoughts.

Giving all of the "core" events a necessary level of attention isn't possible if you want to have some variety. Personally, I would have loved a 3rd round of 3x3 and BLD (and a third of clock!), but nobody can be perfectly happy with every competition. But I would hardly say that running only 2 rounds of 3x3/OH and 1 round of 2x2 is neglecting them at all, it's still being run and that is totally at the organizer's discretion. Even the Lexington competition that day didn't run 3BLD, and they even had fewer events than us. Running a competition is all about a balance of what the organizer wants and what the general cubing population wants, as well as providing the opportunity for those to compete in events that aren't run so often (Mega, 5BLD, 6x6, 7x7), and I think Evan balanced all of this very well.

Last edited:

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I guess I would be the opposite of a purist. An impurist? I would be fine going to a competition with zero rounds of 3x3, 2x2, 4x4, and OH. Just as long as they had some sort of big cubes blind and clock :p

I thought this competition went well! It was nice seeing a mix of east coast and midwest people. Congrats to Evan for winning the main event, Rubik's Clock!