• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(Canceled) Petition to make Kilominx/2x2 Megaminx an official WCA event.

Solar

WCA
2015CERV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've recently started a Petition for Kilominx/2x2 Megaminx to be an official WCA event. I have no idea how it will turn out, but it's worth a try because of the rising popularity of the puzzle.

Link to the Petition: chn.ge/2aOOsfo
If you want to support the petition, please spread the word about it, and be sure to share it with your acquaintances. (This is optional, of course.)

EDIT: Petition closed.

Last edited:

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I love the idea of the Kilominx becoming an event. Gotta get one though. :p

anyway, I'll definitely sign it, but there's no way the WCA can be so blind about what people like to solve. If this does come about, I think we should call it a Kilominx. Just a thought.

Waitaminute, never mind about that last thought. I read the petition and you make a good point.

James Hake

that would be cool to add it to the WCA, but I think there should also be gigaminx, team bld, or fisher cube added too

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We already have 18 official events. I doubt anything new will be added for a while. There was talk of Skewb for years before becoming it became official. It adds nothing new, adding something like Gigaminx, 8x8+ is stupid because they take too long. I think we should stick with the events we have already.

See how popular kilominx is in a year or two. It'll most likely die down. We don't want to many events because of time. What's the point in having like 50 events if you can only run around 20 of them due to time constrains.

Last edited:
D

Daniel Lin

I agree with @tx789. Kilominx adds nothing new. We already have 2x2 and Megaminx, so we don't need kilominx. If we add kilominx, we might as well add gigaminx, master kilominx, master pyraminx, master skewb, super square 1, or any of those events blindfolded...

I think a better idea would be adding the helicopter cube, since it's different.

Solar

WCA
2015CERV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with the number of events that can be done, but more 2-day competitions could accommodate. As for "It adds nothing new" I can agree too, but all we have is NxNxN Events for Cubic puzzles, can't we have NxNxN for Minx puzzles? Kilominx is the most viable answer for that, it doesn't take long to solve so it wont hold up the schedule (Gigaminx takes a long time, and so does Master Pyraminx). Also this puzzle just seems like it fits, I really can't explain, but it makes sense to imagine people competing in Kilominx rather than people competing in something like a Cuboid or something like a Curvy Copter.

I hope you understand my opinion.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with the number of events that can be done, but more 2-day competitions could accommodate. As for "It adds nothing new" I can agree too, but all we have is NxNxN Events for Cubic puzzles, can't we have NxNxN for Minx puzzles? Kilominx is the most viable answer for that, it doesn't take long to solve so it wont hold up the schedule (Gigaminx takes a long time, and so does Master Pyraminx). Also this puzzle just seems like it fits, I really can't explain, but it makes sense to imagine people competing in Kilominx rather than people competing in something like a Cuboid or something like a Curvy Copter.

I hope you understand my opinion.

2-day competitions will fix this? Nationals barely gets through all the events now as a 3-day competition, and people complained about us cutting rounds this year.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
2-day competitions will fix this? Nationals barely gets through all the events now as a 3-day competition, and people complained about us cutting rounds this year.

Then have 4 or 5 day comps. Forget about how this affects cost and competitors and add 20 ish event.

If anything events should be removed rather than added. But there is no event with a good reason to remove. Mahad one.

Thatoneguy2

WCA
2015CHIP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it would be a pretty cool event, it shouldn't take super long and the world records wouldn't get down to pure luck. If they ever felt like adding an event I think this one would be cool.

WCA
2013BARK01
"Don't add x event because it's hard for competitions to hold all events"
"Remove x event because it's hard for competitions to hold all events"

Do you think feet solving is hard to get in? How about 7x7!? The fastest feet solvers are sub-1 and the fastest 7x7 solvers are sub 3. I never seriously practice feet solving, but if I do a solve I can easily get under my 7x7 average. What about clock? Clock is a serious problem? Right. Clock makes all the competitions slow, totally. Getting rid of it because it isn't a normal puzzle seems pretty unfair to serious clock solvers. Most people might not care about it, but some do.

To the people arguing that competitions are getting overwhelmed by having too many events, THAT IS COMPLETE NONSENSE. No competition is being forced to hold every event. I get that Nationals, Worlds, etc. would try to hold all/most events, but this year Nats didn't have feet, and to my knowledge no one was terribly sad about that. I don't want to sound like I know everything that goes into organizing Nationals, but the way to fit Kilominx seems rather obvious: lower the cutoffs for side events, or lower the competitor limit (*GASP*). Make a somewhat harsh cutoff for Kilominx itself. Again, I want to stress that I don't know exactly how this works, but I believe it's likely that using the exact same setup as Nats 2016, just with harsher cutoffs for Friday's events, Kilominx could have been hosted that day (if it were an event). Other option? Don't hold an event. Feet wasn't held. I don't think that they shouldn't drop the same event(s) two years in a row. Here's another thing: If Kilominx became official on January 1, 2017, and Nationals did not hold a round or rounds of Kilominx, then it would be holding the exact same events which it would if Kilominx were not added as an official event. Local competitions miss events all the time. Hardly any competitions have all events. If I practiced Skewb (lol I will never), learned full Skewb EG, and did tens of thousands of solves, and there is a competition in my area that does not hold Skewb, should I complain? They weren't taking into consideration how much effort I put into Skewb and just ignored it. It's not the responsibility of every competition to hold every event, even bigger ones. If every competition had every event and a super high competitor limit, it is just basic math that the cutoffs would be insane. Many of us would never get, say, a 6x6 mean, given that they would need to make a harsh cutoff. tl;dr More events is not worse. That is stupid.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is pretty much only one realistic path to making Kilominx an official event: get as many competitions as possible to hold it unofficially.

If lots of people truly find it a fun and interesting puzzle, it should be possible for them to convince organizers that it's worth holding sometimes. I suggest focusing on that.

(In general, I wish we encouraged competitions to hold more "unofficial" events to the same standards as official events, like back in the old day. If unofficial events were common, it would be easy to prove the viability of an event. We could even trigger a vote once an event has been held at enough competitions. Unfortunately, right now adding a new event is an uphill battle without a summit in sight.)

rumarfer28

There is only one brand that produces that puzzle (I don't count the flowerminx), and only since a few weeks. It's imposible that this become a WCA event anytime soon.

And I also think it's too similar to a Megaminx. It makes sense a puzzle similar to a 3x3 becoming an event, like 2x2, but not a puzzle similar to a puzzle similar to a 3x3, since megaminx is actually very similar to a 3x3.

In my opinion, only mirror blocks should has potential to be an event any time soon. It's related to a 3x3, but different, specially if the solve is blindfolded without inspection, has been produced by many companies during some years, and there are some people who takes its unofficial speedsolving very seriously.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with @tx789. Kilominx adds nothing new. We already have 2x2 and Megaminx, so we don't need kilominx. If we add kilominx, we might as well add gigaminx, master kilominx, master pyraminx, master skewb, super square 1, or any of those events blindfolded...

I think a better idea would be adding the helicopter cube, since it's different.

Exactly what I think about this.

Why 2x2 Megaminx when there are all those other events that are modifications of other puzzles?
E.g. Square-0, master Pyraminx, master skewb.

My thoughts are that if there is going to be something added, it should be a new puzzle/new variation, not an addition to what is already there (other than 3x3)

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My thoughts are that if there is going to be something added, it should be a new puzzle/new variation, not an addition to what is already there (other than 3x3)

But why? Kilominx is fun and a lot of people like it. I think it's good enough reason to hold it officially at comps. But the narrow-minded WCA won't change anything of course. It's just easier for them :) Listening to the request of community pays off.. always